Group D (Croatia, Czech Republic, England, Scotland)

Big River

14 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I genuinely still believe we can beat anyone. I'm fast losing faith that we'll ever have that moment where it clicks and we start playing at the sum of our parts in an attacking sense, but I think we've got the talent and the smarts to beat anyone. 

I'd be alot more confident with an inform Kane. Main concern is drawing France and getting beat at our own game. 

12 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Was nice to have our moment with the equalizer, that was special. And glad we could go into second half still in with a decent chance. 

The honour of conceding another famous Euros goal - Modric, after Gazza and Schick :lol: That's 3 in 5 Euro games.

It was another cracker of a goal [emoji38]

5 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

I'd be alot more confident with an inform Kane. Main concern is drawing France and getting beat at our own game. 

Couldn't agree more with that, do still with about Kane. 

10 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Y'all need to drop Rice and replace him with Henderson. Have some actual spine and leadership in the middle of the park.

Henderson looks like a captain, and Kane doesn't.

Guest neesy111
50 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Isn't this a carbon copy of WC18 so far? Got through the group stage with ease without impressing, probably lose to the first decent opposition. 

We did score 6 vs Panama.

The football was not pretty but comfortably came first, clean sheets in all games. The tactics might not look all that convincing but cannot argue with the results. Got the job done. At one point, the commentator was pointing out that Southgate's approach is to be pragmatic than adventurous as he believes that is the way to win the trophy.

While I hate evaluating a manager based on one game, the next game is going to define Southgate's reign. Give a good account of themselves and he will get a lot of plaudits. If it is a Scotland game type performance, he will be criticized. 

Kane does look out of form, but I distinctly remember reading in a football magazine circa early '96 that Shearer 'couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo' for England.

Guest HTT II
29 minutes ago, Anon said:

Kane does look out of form, but I distinctly remember reading in a football magazine circa early '96 that Shearer 'couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo' for England.

The difference with Shearer is that he was a big game player who always produced in big moments and under extreme pressure!

6 hours ago, Ketsbaia said:

Another boring 90 minutes, another shitshow from Kane. England will go out next, so it's nearly over.

As someone who is sick of the Grealish overhyping, I was really impressed by Saka tonight :thup:

He isn’t overhyped though. He’s been brilliant the last two years, with end-product to go with his skills. Southgate’s reluctance to use him doesn’t have a lot of logic to it imo. 

Agree Saka was great, especially first half. 

1 hour ago, St. Maximin said:

He isn’t overhyped though. He’s been brilliant the last two years, with end-product to go with his skills. Southgate’s reluctance to use him doesn’t have a lot of logic to it imo. 

Agree Saka was great, especially first half. 

Grealish is clearly talented, but there's no clear evidence that he's better than any of Foden, Mount, Sterling, Sancho or, after yesterday, Saka. 

It's a bit of a coin flip as to which of those you play, yet when Grealish isn't picked some people are acting like Southgate has dropped a prime Maradona.

What am I missing with Rice? Not saying I’ve actively scouted him at all but the few times I’ve seen him for club and country I don’t see anything from him like I do from his peers in that position in other teams. 

2 minutes ago, LFEE said:

What am I missing with Rice? Not saying I’ve actively scouted him at all but the few times I’ve seen him for club and country I don’t see anything from him like I do from his peers in that position in other teams. 

Completely agree with this. I've got to the point now that I'm just watching him to try and work out what he does.

So many times yesterday when Stones had the ball, Rice drops in to receive it, then lays it to Maguire. He pretty much ended up as a sweeper yesterday. As soon as Henderson came on we started playing the ball forwards, and both centre backs started coming out with the ball themselves.

Rice wasn't even a great tackler yesterday either. 

2 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Completely agree with this. I've got to the point now that I'm just watching him to try and work out what he does.

So many times yesterday when Stones had the ball, Rice drops in to receive it, then lays it to Maguire. He pretty much ended up as a sweeper yesterday. As soon as Henderson came on we started playing the ball forwards, and both centre backs started coming out with the ball themselves.

Rice wasn't even a great tackler yesterday either. 

He's a nothing player. A bit like early days Henderson. Henderson of course has branched out from there into a much better player. 

13 minutes ago, Hughesy said:

Grealish is clearly talented, but there's no clear evidence that he's better than any of Foden, Mount, Sterling, Sancho or, after yesterday, Saka. 

It's a bit of a coin flip as to which of those you play, yet when Grealish isn't picked some people are acting like Southgate has dropped a prime Maradona.

Maybe not, but they are very good players to be fair!

I think with Grealish it's not necessarily him being better, but what he is bringing in terms of technique, dribbling etc. It's something different and has the potential to create so many goals even if it's by dragging men over or drawing fouls. I'm not sure why Southgate keeps bringing on Rashford and I don't think Mount has been offering enough in a role Grealish (or Foden) could be more effective in.

Good first half for England. Could have been 2-0. Good mixture of control and creating a few decent chances. Second half was kinda boring but 0 goals conceded in 3 games is clearly decent. Ridiculous big game next Tuesday. Will be tough.

3 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I’d back England to beat Germany or Portugal. Don’t think there’s much in it. 

For starters, their teams are quite canny and their players play well together as a unit, so there's that.