Away goals to be scrapped in Europe - are you for or against?

Wullie

Away goals to be scrapped - for or against?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Away goals rule?

• Keep away goals
    • Scrap away goals

I think this is a huge mistake. While I appreciate that the original reason the rule was introduced is largely moot, I think the really exciting European dramas we've seen over the last few years have been driven by the away goals rule. When the tie is in the balance, 1 goal between a winner and a loser, it creates urgency on one side and nerves on the other, in a way a potential draw simply doesn't. We'll see way more ties decided via penalties, and I just don't see that as any fairer as away goals, and it's substantially less dramatic on the field. 

Encourages the away team to come out a bit and usually leads to a better spectacle as a neutral. Scrapping them means cagey as fuck games with the bus parked virtually every game. There needs to be a balance in the fixtures, away goals in the event of a tie was pretty much perfect. Why scrap it? 

33 minutes ago, Wullie said:

I think this is a huge mistake. While I appreciate that the original reason the rule was introduced is largely moot, I think the really exciting European dramas we've seen over the last few years have been driven by the away goals rule. When the tie is in the balance, 1 goal between a winner and a loser, it creates urgency on one side and nerves on the other, in a way a potential draw simply doesn't. We'll see way more ties decided via penalties, and I just don't see that as any fairer as away goals, and it's substantially less dramatic on the field. 

Prefer Golden goal or Silver goal over away goals.

Never thought it was fair. If you win 0-1 away, then fall 0-2 behind in the home leg, I've never thought it should be right that you then have to score 2 goals. If you score to make it 2-2, that should be it. Pens.

Are they scrapping the extra-time part too? Always thought that was bollocks in a two-legged match as well.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Always thought ET should happen but each team removes a player every five minutes, like we used to at school :lol: 

Extra time is largely bollocks tbf. Should just go straight to pens.

Always disliked away goals, so not bothered by that going at all. Always found it weird different competitions had different rules. Another reason I dislike VAR as it’s not universal across all competitions and levels.

Shite idea.

There's so much interference with the game these days.  

Just waiting on mixed sex sides across the board soon, Holland already on board.

Probably sound like an old fashioned ignorant twat with that post. 👍🏻

Never thought it made any sense - you're being rewarded cos you scored more away and that's harder, but that means you also scored less at home which is easier, why does that failure at home get rewarded? Take the point about ending games without going to penalties, but seems for a totally arbitrary reason that has nothing to do with merit.

Also, as mentioned, from an entertainment perspective it can create exciting situations but it can also kill games off early on.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

Everything they do just seems to make teams more cautious, whether it's extra time, two legs, golden goal or whatever.

Both teams play once home and once away, I'm not sure away goals is better than just extra time and pens. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

I like away goals personally. It adds another element into the tie and I think pushed teams on in the away leg.

Considering the amount of games teams have to play I would like anything to avoid ET is worthwhile. Cut ET if anything.

Both options have their merits.

Giving a team an incentive to go away from home and look to score is important but then it can backfire too for second leg matches.

It should probably be left alone on reflection.

Or maybe use it to level the playing fields a bit.. away goals rule doesn't count for seeded teams?