Away goals to be scrapped in Europe - are you for or against?

Wullie

Away goals to be scrapped - for or against?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Away goals rule?

• Keep away goals
    • Scrap away goals

This thread is spot on for why it's a bad idea. That 1 goal difference between defeat and victory is why the CL has been so exciting over the last few years as teams have become more attacking. I think if they do officially scrap it they'll quickly realise the mistake and reverse it.

5 hours ago, midds said:

Encourages the away team to come out a bit and usually leads to a better spectacle as a neutral. Scrapping them means cagey as fuck games with the bus parked virtually every game. There needs to be a balance in the fixtures, away goals in the event of a tie was pretty much perfect. Why scrap it? 

Couldn't the opposite argument be made? Home teams are scared to attack because conceding a goal at home is much more punishing than away. And they don't even have to win when away from home. Just steal a goal and "win" 1-1.

5 minutes ago, SEMTEX said:

Couldn't the opposite argument be made? Home teams are scared to attack because conceding a goal at home is much more punishing than away. And they don't even have to win when away from home. Just steal a goal and "win" 1-1.

But anyone who has watched the CL over the last 5-10 years knows that in practice this simply doesn't happen. In the past, yes, but as the best sides have become well oiled attacking machines, designed primarily to blow away domestic opposition every week, when they get into the late stages of European competition, it's simply become who can score the most, and the AG rule puts much more jeopardy into the situation, it's the only situation in football where 1 goal is the difference between victory and defeat.

16 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Away goals though can also unnecessarily kill off a tie early into a second leg when a couple of away goals are scored.

I do accept the point about extra time being shit, but I think maybe it'd be better to reform extra time somehow, or think of something else. The idea of an away goal being worth more just always seemed so arbitrary and weird, like I say, why are they being rewarded for equally failing to score as many at home.

Most academy products in team wins...

Edited by Inferior Acuña

The away goals rule simply reduces the margin to win. I think it inherently promotes more attacking football because a draw can be turned in to a win. The benefits of scoring are closer. I mean i do think its insane at the same time, but that insanity does benefit 2 legged international cup football. I think binning it would result in more boring overall ties and more penalties. Its far from perfect, but i definitely think it adds to the format.

8 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Away goals though can also unnecessarily kill off a tie early into a second leg when a couple of away goals are scored.

I do accept the point about extra time being shit, but I think maybe it'd be better to reform extra time somehow, or think of something else. The idea of an away goal being worth more just always seemed so arbitrary and weird, like I say, why are they being rewarded for equally failing to score as many at home.

Most academy products in team wins...

This used to be the case in the 2000s when Mourinho and Benitez were around but when was the last time it happened? Almost every late stage European 2 legged tie now is a chaotic thriller.

43 minutes ago, Wullie said:

But anyone who has watched the CL over the last 5-10 years knows that in practice this simply doesn't happen. In the past, yes, but as the best sides have become well oiled attacking machines, designed primarily to blow away domestic opposition every week, when they get into the late stages of European competition, it's simply become who can score the most, and the AG rule puts much more jeopardy into the situation, it's the only situation in football where 1 goal is the difference between victory and defeat.

I don't really have a strong opinion on this matter personally, I think there are pros and cons, but I've most certainly paid little to no attention in the last 10 years :lol: However, i will take your word for it.

But if this is only an evolution that has become prominent in the last 5-10 years, then surely it could further evolve/regress? I don't think "it hasn't happened recently" is a great argument for a rule that is somewhat nonsensical in nature.

I will say that it seems odd to get rid of it without something else changing to mitigate the original problem. Some way of avoiding endless penalty shootouts.

Although if this kills off the idiotic phrase "away goals count double", I'm all for it.

58 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Obviously not at the same level, but the Football League play offs don't have the AGL rule, and they are nearly every year absolutely brilliant to watch. 

Can't say much about League 1/League 2 but the last memorable Championship semi final was that Leicester Watford one years ago

Guest HTT II

Aye I’ve never really liked the away goals rule either. I’d be in favour of doing away with extra time too and straight to penalties in knock out games. I get the argument for the away goals rule, but I don’t think it has made that much off a massive difference either way to how teams player or don’t since it’s introduction overall. 

46 minutes ago, triggs said:

Can't say much about League 1/League 2 but the last memorable Championship semi final was that Leicester Watford one years ago

Both of them this year were great games. 

Guest carpetman1

Basketball's back court rule. If you're in possession, you can't then go back into your own half. Works brilliantly. This would force attacking play.