Away goals to be scrapped in Europe - are you for or against?

Wullie

Away goals to be scrapped - for or against?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Away goals rule?

• Keep away goals
    • Scrap away goals

Guest neesy111

Maybe we should trial it for 1 season without.  Might see home teams in 1st legs go for it more.....

Guest HTT II

I know it’s a crazy idea but how about the team that scores the most goals over two legs, err, actually goes through? 

19 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I know it’s a crazy idea but how about the team that scores the most goals over two legs, err, actually goes through? 

Do you think that doesn't happen now? :lol:

10 minutes ago, triggs said:

Do you think that doesn't happen now? :lol:

This is where I never agreed with away goals though. The tie can be 1-1, 2-2 so nothing in it, but one team would lose. Scrapping away goals means there’s a definite winner whether that be penalties or whatever.

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

This is where I never agreed with away goals though. The tie can be 1-1, 2-2 so nothing in it, but one team would lose. Scrapping away goals means there’s a definite winner whether that be penalties or whatever.

Penalties are crap though. I actually think away goals is fairer than penalties

1 minute ago, triggs said:

Penalties are crap though. I actually think away goals is fairer than penalties

Disagree. If you play 180 minutes and score the same number of goals, I’ve never agreed with the idea one side should go through.

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Disagree. If you play 180 minutes and score the same number of goals, I’ve never agreed with the idea one side should go through.

One side goes through anyway though, it's just based on penalties which have no relevance to the game of football rather than something which was in the control of the two teams over the two legs

On 28/05/2021 at 20:02, Inferior Acuña said:

Away goals though can also unnecessarily kill off a tie early into a second leg when a couple of away goals are scored.

I do accept the point about extra time being shit, but I think maybe it'd be better to reform extra time somehow, or think of something else. The idea of an away goal being worth more just always seemed so arbitrary and weird, like I say, why are they being rewarded for equally failing to score as many at home.

Most academy products in team wins...

Extra time to be played by the extra players— all the starters get taken off & replaced by all the subs on the bench 😛

24 minutes ago, triggs said:

One side goes through anyway though, it's just based on penalties which have no relevance to the game of football rather than something which was in the control of the two teams over the two legs

How does penalties have "no relevance to the game"? ??? They're a natural part of the game 

It had a purpose when it first came in in the 60s to replace the toss of a coin but it's very dated. When a British team was traveling to USSR or wherever, it wasn't as comfortable or as quick as today. It was a step up from the luck of a coin toss and there could be an argument that scoring away after the traveling involved deserved greater reward.

If Real Madrid beat Porto 2-0 away and lose 3-1 at home, I don't think there's any reason why Porto should be awarded the win just because they scored away.

With the away goals rule, first thought for the home team is, 'let's not concede here'. Scrapping it just makes it a straight game of football in both legs. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Penalties aren't a total lottery like. There's a large element of luck in them aye, but they're still shots at goal, they're not a coin toss. I'd say it's fairer to be knocked out on pens than away goals and would be up for scrapping extra time and away goals for pens.

Completely beyond me how anyone could watch e.g. Spurs/Ajax, Roma/Barca or Barca/PSG and come to the conclusion that they'd rather have seen yet another penalty shoot out instead. 

12 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Completely beyond me how anyone could watch e.g. Spurs/Ajax, Roma/Barca or Barca/PSG and come to the conclusion that they'd rather have seen yet another penalty shoot out instead. 

I don't really buy that away goals are that important for making games exciting. The Spurs goal still would still have been very dramatic, as are late equalizers in important single tie games, or double-legged, away-goalless play off games. Also there are goals that were rendered meaningless by away goals that will now be equalizers. Of course they've created exciting situations, but given all that I don't think they're important enough to the fun of the game that they're worth having this totally arbitrary (imo) way of deciding games. Not saying pens are great either like, but think I'd take them over away goals.

Yeah, these would still be exciting but why should the team who were 2-3 ahead for instance lose out, even when they’ve still scored the same number? 

NUFC being 1-4 on agg v Troyes for example might have still be an interesting encounter when it got back to 2-4 for instance if penalties were to play for for drawing level. Expecting 5-4 was too much but 4-4 would have been worthwhile playing for.

3 hours ago, triggs said:

giphy.webp

They've literally just played two games of football and it's ended up a tie, so to break the tie they do something that matters. Away goals have always been shit and nonsensical.

45 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Yeah, these would still be exciting but why should the team who were 2-3 ahead for instance lose out, even when they’ve still scored the same number? 

NUFC being 1-4 on agg v Troyes for example might have still be an interesting encounter when it got back to 2-4 for instance if penalties were to play for for drawing level. Expecting 5-4 was too much but 4-4 would have been worthwhile playing for.

I hate watching a match where the first leg ended 1-0 for instance, knowing that if the team that lead scores once the other team now need to score three times rather than two, meaning it's nigh impossible. It's a shit unfair aspect of modern football and I'm thrilled it's being sorted.

Edited by Kaizero

2 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

I hate watching a match where the first leg ended 1-0 for instance, knowing that if the team that lead scores once the other team now need to score three times rather than two, meaning it's nigh impossible. It's a shit unfair aspect of modern football and I'm thrilled it's being sorted.

Agree, these far outweigh the epic 3-4 goal comebacks. 

3 hours ago, Nobody said:

How does penalties have "no relevance to the game"? ??? They're a natural part of the game 

It's just a free kick at goal from 11 yards. It's a shite way of deciding a game. I'd also exclude penalty goals from the goal totals for top scorer winners

5 minutes ago, triggs said:

It's just a free kick at goal from 11 yards. It's a shite way of deciding a game. I'd also exclude penalty goals from the goal totals for top scorer winners

Should exclude that from the goal total then since it's not a natural part of the game.

Penalties are a more natural part of the game when it comes to it actually being decided than the value of a goal scored away being higher than at home.

Edited by Kaizero