Is the term ‘gammon’, racist?

Posted (edited)

It's just a way to try and simplify something which isn't simple. Relying on that sort of generalisation goes a long way toward explaining why (some) people get so bewildered that the country/world appears to be so contrary to their own politics (IMO).

Edited by OpenC

Yeah, let's weep for the poor, oppressed, old white men.  It's a generalisation, it's not racist and I'm quite happy to use it because gammons are generally cunts.  Fuck them.

I’ll spare a tear first for those labelled immigrant, single parent or acting for social justice in the dysphemistic sense before any one offended by gammon. I know it’s not binary and isn’t helpful but the weaponising of those perfectly normal words by the likes of those likely labelled gammons is a bigger offence.

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It does have a racial element, being targeted against older white men.

I don't like it personally since it enforces the idea that there's a group of people that can't be reached by reasonable arguments. 

It's not really implying the superiority or inferiority of any ethnic group, so if it is racist it's a pretty mild form.

...and women too, Ian.

They have the vote now.

Posted (edited)

My perception is that, if they were Americans, they’d be diehard Trump supporters. Not necessarily conservatives in the traditional sense, but people who take glee in the misery of those they deem lesser than themselves: poor people, immigrants, racial minorities.

Edited by Tomato Deuce

1 hour ago, BlueStar said:

Is Priti Patel a gammon?

She's infinitely worse than the connotations of the word imo. Thick, vindictive, and fucking evil.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Tomato Deuce said:

My perception is that, if they were Americans, they’d be diehard Trump supporters. Not necessarily conservatives in the traditional sense, but people who take glee in the misery of those they deem lesser than themselves: poor people, immigrants, racial minorities.

Absolute fucking colossal dollop of entitlement too. 

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

Thought gammon is used to describe older folks who's skin goes red with fewm like a gammon joint when they read or hear about LGBTQ+ people, Black Lives Matter, refugees or Jeremy Corbyn. Nowt to do with race.

7 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Cold, ignorant evil?

I agree with Branko. She is so obviously thick as mince.

She has that Essex approach to the English language, where they leave off the 'g' in anything that ends with '...ing'.

Does my head in.

10 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Thought gammon is used to describe older folks who's skin goes red with fewm like a gammon joint when they read or hear about LGBTQ+ people, Black Lives Matter, refugees or Jeremy Corbyn. Nowt to do with race.

Aren’t they all white?

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Aren’t they all white?

Mostly. But gammons tend to be racists or homophobes/transphobes anyway. If they take offence it's par for the course.

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Aren’t they all white?

More by coincidence than design.

If you saw someone who fit all the gammon stereotypes but happened to be black, you wouldn't object to anyone calling them a gammon would you?

4 minutes ago, Papavasiliou said:

More by coincidence than design.

If you saw someone who fit all the gammon stereotypes but happened to be black, you wouldn't object to anyone calling them a gammon would you?

I don't think anyone would call them a gammon. I'd be amazed if anyone doesn't immediately picture an older white man when they hear it.

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don't think anyone would call them a gammon. I'd be amazed if anyone doesn't immediately picture an older white man when they hear it.

Agreed. The whole thing was based on flustered older white men having their faces turn a gammon pink colour when enraged. It was picked up in particular when they were in the Question Time audience banging on about Brexit, from memory. Don't recall it a thing before that, and it's kept going as same demographic of older white men tend to vote Tory, be anti-woke/BLM and "all lives matter" nationalist types and have been moaning through the 2017 and 2019 elections too about Corbyn. Its not as simple as that, but it is by definition a generalisation.

4 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:
5 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Aren’t they all white?

Ian, come on man. :lol: