QF4: England 4 (FOWWA) - 0 Ukraine

Disco

How do we see us lining up for this? Imagine Rice or Phillips will drop out for Henderson, can't see us risking them both being potentially suspended if we get through. Likewise, potentially Mings for Maguire with the latter's fitness & booking. Reckon it'll be Mount back in if we revert to back 4 too.

12 minutes ago, Anderson said:

How do we see us lining up for this? Imagine Rice or Phillips will drop out for Henderson, can't see us risking them both being potentially suspended if we get through. Likewise, potentially Mings for Maguire with the latter's fitness & booking. Reckon it'll be Mount back in if we revert to back 4 too.

As well as Mings did I'll be surprised if he rests Maguire; he was absolutely crucial to the win against Germany and is easily one of our most important players. Fair shout with the CMs, though; you'd think it's a sensible time to bring Henderson in to avoid potentially losing both Philips and Rice for the semis. 

Depending on how big a threat we see from Zinchenko and Yarmolenko down either side, I think we might revert to four at the back. 

Walker - - Stones - - Maguire - - Shaw

Henderson - - Rice

Mount

Foden             Kane           Sterling

Would be nice to see Sancho get a run out in the Foden position, mind. Feel like there's just something about this team which means it's just not gonna happen for Foden. 

Just hope they don't get too complacent and think that the job's done because they've knocked Germany out. Risk of the whole "after the Lord mayor's show" attitude but hopefully Southgate has them right mentally. 

Just thinking back to the rugby World Cup and the comedown after knocking New Zealand out then flopping in the final. Fingers crossed. 

Everything we know about this group of players and staff suggests that they're going to be absolutely on it, but you just never know and it would be absolutely heartbreaking if they were to drop the ball at this point. The gap between teams like England and Ukraine, France and Switzerland, etc etc is so much smaller than it was ten years ago and you'd assume they'd recognise this, and will do everything they can not to tarnish what was a very special result on Tuesday. 

I can remember even saying after the Iceland fiasco (which was unquestionably still a humiliation), even for minnows they were still full of players from a very decent level: a PL player, a couple from the Championship and players from an assortment of European first divisions. They weren't mugs; there's no David vs Goliaths at this stage; anyone is capable of beating a top team on an off day. 

The performance against Sweden in the WC after the penalty win over Colombia was very solid and professional. England might not win this tie but I don't expect complacency to be the issue.

Group C was excellent, so managed to get a decent look at Ukraine. They look very mercurial.

Going forward they have some excellent footballers. Malinovsky's reputation continues to grow, while Yaremchuck has proved a handy forward for Yarmolenko to play off. Their issues seems to be consistency. They don't know how to dominate a game and tend to threaten for very short spells.

The midfield doesn't do much to shield a disorganised defensive unit and they looked fragile in all three group games. I didn't watch, but I read they changed shape against Sweden to nullify their better players, so they may well do the same here.

It's definitely a game we should win, but Ukraine have the attacking talent to punish us if we switch off. I don't see a change of approach from Southgate.

Edited by The Prophet

Their starting line-up against Sweden:

Dynamo Kiev - Ukrainian league champs / CL group stage

Dynamo Kiev - Ukrainian league champs / CL group stage

Shakhtar Donetsk - Ukranian league runners-up / CL group stage

Shakhtar Donetsk - Ukranian league runners-up / CL group stage

Shakhtar Donetsk - Ukranian league runners-up / CL group stage

Manchester City - Premier League winner / CL finalist

West Ham - 6th in the Premier League

Gent - 7th in the Belgian League

So yeah. You're welcome. 

3 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

I wonder if Southgate would be tempted to rotate. 

If we were to get to the final, players like Kane, Sterling and Shaw might reap the rewards of playing 3 full games in 11 days instead of 4.

Surely at this point you go with your best team- pointless resting people if we then get knocked out 

19 hours ago, Yorkie said:

As well as Mings did I'll be surprised if he rests Maguire; he was absolutely crucial to the win against Germany and is easily one of our most important players. Fair shout with the CMs, though; you'd think it's a sensible time to bring Henderson in to avoid potentially losing both Philips and Rice for the semis. 

Depending on how big a threat we see from Zinchenko and Yarmolenko down either side, I think we might revert to four at the back. 

Walker - - Stones - - Maguire - - Shaw

Henderson - - Rice

Mount

Foden             Kane           Sterling

Would be nice to see Sancho get a run out in the Foden position, mind. Feel like there's just something about this team which means it's just not gonna happen for Foden. 

I'd like to see Henderson in. When he's come on, the midfield has looked a lot more positive. However, with his lack of match fitness, I can't see Southgate starting him. If he does, then I'd put him with Phillips, who has looked far more confident than Rice. 

Despite his goals, I still don't trust Sterling, but Southgate likes him so he's bound to start him with Kane. Mount is good at linking midfield with attack, so that leaves Grealish, Foden, Saka and Sancho fighting for one place. I don't feel confident about Sancho in an England shirt, but you can make a case for any of the other three. I'd pick Grealish, for his ability to open up a defence.