SF2: England 2-1 Denmark

Yorkie

2 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

I feel like disappointment is inevitable based on the amount of hype the media are giving this today :sad:

I doubt the Danish press have mentioned it at all this morning.

Hype is inevitable, it's only the 2nd time we've been this far in 25 years.  I think anyone who knows football knows this will be a very tough game.  Aside from Rio Ferdinand who didn't learn his lesson after saying we'd definitely smash Scotland.

I think it'll be 0-0 or 1-1 at HT and will be decided by one goal in the fairly late stages.  And I'm predicting/hoping it's England who win it.  If our mentality is right (and there's nothing to suggest it won't be) then I think we're the stronger side and will come through.

The hype is off the charts today, the whole country is torturously getting through the day.

Even I'm counting down and I'm not particularly an England fan. Just think I'm desperate to experience jubilation, which will clearly never happen with Newcastle :lol:

Edited by Ketsbaia

24 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

They certainly won't be talking like an appearance in the final is a formality.

Who's doing that though? There was an obvious joke headline on the back of the Mirror, and Rio Ferdinand was very confident but he's allowed to be, it's his opinion that he's paid to offer. I was extremely confident we would beat Ukraine, to the point where I wasn't the least bit nervous about the game. That wasn't some sort of English arrogance, it was just my view as a football fan on what looked a total mismatch in terms of the two teams involved.

Apart from that, I don't see anything beyond the knowledge that we have a good team and that if we play well on the night, we'll give ourselves a good chance of going through. What's wrong with that? My biggest bugbear when England play these days is the accusations, from others and from ourselves, is of some sort of arrogance, and I have simply never seen it. Usually it revolves around the literal interpretation of three words of a song that's actually about how we never win anything but that we hope we do one day.

Conversation online in the last two tournaments has been absolutely identical (often from English people):

Second round: God the English are so arrogant, noticing who they might have to play in the draw, like they're ever going to get past Germany/Colombia!  

Quarter Final: God, the English are so arrogant and they're not even any good, they think they just have to turn up against Sweden/Ukraine!

Semi Final: God, the English are so arrogant, they've not even played anyone good yet, obviously they were going to beat Sweden/Ukraine!

Just let people look forward to an international tournament semi final without trying to pour cold water on it (sorry, not a dig at you, just in general, I had this rant three years ago as well I think).

Does seem like we're not allowed to be excited, be giddy about being in a semi final and joke around about winning it. We're all like kids at Christmas having a decent England side. 

Think a lot if it is jealousy tbh (from Scotland, Wales, Ireland etc). I've been determined to enjoy it and have done.

Really think playing a back 4 and with Saka in for Sancho is a bad move but I’ve looked pretty silly for doubting Southgate’s selections thus far.

Honestly believe the same team vs Germany but with Grealish in from the start (over Saka) gives us the best balance of defensive solidity  and threat going forward, but we’ll see. Pretty worried tbh!

Edited by McCormick

26 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Who's doing that though? There was an obvious joke headline on the back of the Mirror, and Rio Ferdinand was very confident but he's allowed to be, it's his opinion that he's paid to offer. I was extremely confident we would beat Ukraine, to the point where I wasn't the least bit nervous about the game. That wasn't some sort of English arrogance, it was just my view as a football fan on what looked a total mismatch in terms of the two teams involved.

Apart from that, I don't see anything beyond the knowledge that we have a good team and that if we play well on the night, we'll give ourselves a good chance of going through. What's wrong with that? My biggest bugbear when England play these days is the accusations, from others and from ourselves, is of some sort of arrogance, and I have simply never seen it. Usually it revolves around the literal interpretation of three words of a song that's actually about how we never win anything but that we hope we do one day.

Conversation online in the last two tournaments has been absolutely identical (often from English people):

Second round: God the English are so arrogant, noticing who they might have to play in the draw, like they're ever going to get past Germany/Colombia!  

Quarter Final: God, the English are so arrogant and they're not even any good, they think they just have to turn up against Sweden/Ukraine!

Semi Final: God, the English are so arrogant, they've not even played anyone good yet, obviously they were going to beat Sweden/Ukraine!

Just let people look forward to an international tournament semi final without trying to pour cold water on it (sorry, not a dig at you, just in general, I had this rant three years ago as well I think).

It's insufferable how often I have to hear "The English are so arrogant, they always think they'll win!!". Its complete and utter bullshit, just look in this thread, no one is taking anything for granted. 

It's also strange how we never hear that about France, Italy, Germany or Argentina for example, who I bet are all just as 'bad' as us, probably to an ever greater degree. Sure, we've only won one tournament, but we're still a big football nation, it'd be weird if we didn't have expectations before a tournament. 

9 hours ago, GWN said:

Hate the coming home craic. On to this one, Denmark will make it tricky but I expect one good chance to be gobbled up by England 1-0  into the final we go . Kane with the goal or penalty. 

As I remember the song was originally to celebrate a major international football tournament being played in the home of football for the first time since '66. Sure there was a huge reference to our chances of winning, but why wouldn't there be?

1 hour ago, Ketsbaia said:

The hype is off the charts today, the whole country is torturously getting through the day.

Even I'm counting down and I'm not particularly an England fan. Just think I'm desperate to experience jubilation, which will clearly never happen with Newcastle :lol:

I haven't seen anything tbh. Ignorance [of the media coverage of national sporting events] is bliss.

14 minutes ago, Nobody said:

It's insufferable how often I have to hear "The English are so arrogant, they always think they'll win!!". Its complete and utter bullshit, just look in this thread, no one is taking anything for granted. 

It's also strange how we never hear that about France, Italy, Germany or Argentina for example, who I bet are all just as 'bad' as us, probably to an ever greater degree. Sure, we've only won one tournament, but we're still a big football nation, it'd be weird if we didn't have expectations before a tournament. 

Yes, i can sort of understand why we are hated, with how SOME of the 'fans' behave at away games, but that's just it, it's a minority tarring the majority.

It's like rugby fans thinking all football fans are hooligans, it's just utterly ridiculous.

I hate to bang the same drum, but it's just tribalism in action.

We're all painfully aware we have an element of the national fanbase who boo the knee, sing 'ten German bombers' and smash fan parks up post game.

The counter culture to this is to accuse all England fans and behave with moral superiority. We've seen this in the form of taking offence after an opponents national anthem was booed, raising cash for a crying child after England beat her national team and accusations of arrogance and lacking intelligence.

It's post-Brexit discourse at its absolute worst.

1 hour ago, Wullie said:

I get what you're saying and I'm the same, I want to enjoy it, but I'm naturally wary and a bit of a pessimist. Yes, I've posted "It's coming home" in this very thread but it's been a bit tongue-in-cheek.

FWIW, I'm not saying there's an arrogance, I just think having been here before and failed, there's no harm in being a little more apprehensive.

Maybe it's just the people I surround myself with, but in the last 24 hours I've had people talk to me about the game going on like Denmark are San Marino and lots of chatter about what plans they've already made to watch England in the final on Sunday. There's not been any "if we get there" suffix. With some people I just find that belief/hope morphs into expectation.

Again, as above, maybe it's the Newcastle fan in me that makes such reservations commonplace.

I'm reasonably confident we'll win, ironically I thought we'd lose to Germany.

Whenever I start having doubts I just remind myself we have better players, and to come to a reasonably full Wembley as an away side is going to take one hell of a performance to overcome.

Edited by Alberto2005