SF2: England 2-1 Denmark

Yorkie

Totally get the Rice comments. Some journos on twitter say he does the stuff you're not paying attention to, but I'd say that's bollocks after keeping a closer eye on him during the tournament. 

His passing is very meh & unadventurous, he's not a great athlete, he's not consistently good at breaking up play (imo), and he's got an annoying habit of breaking shape when he shouldn't. He does run around a lot and do the odd good bit of grunt work. He's Colback, basically. 

There's absolutely no need to have him drop so deep all the time when Stones is one of your CBs too. 

Edited by Gallowgate Toon

7 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I'm pretty convinced he's just a character. I'm not sure if it started that way but it definitely is now.

Definitely. He's not even called Mark Goldbridge like.

Hard to believe he's 42 as well. :lol:

I actually think both Rice and Phillips are both good players and fulfil an important role but I just don’t think they should both play, Phillips at least can pick a decent pass but he needs to forget striking the ball from outside the box. I’d consider dropping one of them for Henderson

I think Southgate has a system where the shape of the team is as important as the overall tactics.

The 2 DM's are there to keep that shape and not to neccesarily bomb forward as say Foden would do, or Alice Grealish.

If one of the DM's was a playmaker, the shape would be lost and the team 'unbalanced' i think

Southgate hasnt i think subbed a defensive player for an attacking player, he subs like for like.

Its a system weve all said was too cautious but it seems to be working. Southgate has that team playing like a club squad, not an international squad.

Watched the game again this morning, just to see it all again with the tension, adrenaline and bias removed. The thing that impressed me most is the mental toughness this team has. We definitely can play better, there are arguments for different personnel (particularly in midfield) and Pickford terrifies me against seasoned opponents like Italy. All that said, I watched players like Kane in the aftermath of the Denmark goal and there's just this single-mindedness thing going on, we refused to be beaten. We were actually much much better immediately after going behind and attacked relentlessly.

Kane's pass for the equaliser was fucking outrageous vision, not seen a better pass all tournament. I was screaming for subs in normal time but everything just made sense watching it with the passion and tension put aside, everything was done at the right time and we just wore them down. Enough said on the penalty by millions of others, I wouldn't have wanted to go out to that and huge respect to Denmark as well. But we deserved that, first time since maybe Italia 90 that I can remember being truly proud of an England team. 96 was fun too, great players but this side has a mental toughness i've never seen before and it's needed, it's an intangible that a modern international team needs and we finally have it allied to quality. We can actually win a major tournament, never thought i'd actually say those words.

Edited by LionOfGosforth

3 hours ago, gbandit said:

I actually think both Rice and Phillips are both good players and fulfil an important role but I just don’t think they should both play, Phillips at least can pick a decent pass but he needs to forget striking the ball from outside the box. I’d consider dropping one of them for Henderson

Assuming that Henderson is fit (which is a big assumption), I would play him instead of Rice. 

Rice looks like a cross between a midfield anchorman and a centre back. He's a good athlete, but defensive midfielders often need quick movements and footwork in order to put in a tackle or close someone down effectively. Phillips and Henderson both look more the part. 

And I'vesaiditonceandI'llsayitagain. A player in that position sees a lot of the ball, and if they are too unambitious with their passing, then it wastes a lot of opportunities.

7 hours ago, Doctor Zaius said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Absolutely seething.

Yeah, I mean seeing journalists and other idiots going "well actually Sterlings dive was a stonewall pen and it was the danish team who should have their goal disallowed" all over twitter is just so tiresome.

People actually believe that the free kick should be disallowed on a technicality which has never before in the history of the game resulted in a disallowed goal. Just look at Luke Edwards latest drivel.

Loved Henderson's response when he was asked about what Jack Grealish made of being subbed back off. That's exactly what it's about, and something you could never have done with England teams of the past. There's genuinely no individuals, it's all about the team effort and what is best for the team. 

I hope they have enough in them in the final, I genuinely think they will. It'll be absolutely gutting if we lose, but it's been a great progression from what was already an amazing progression at the World Cup. A semi-final and a final in the last two major tournaments, hats off to these lads.

Guest HTT II
10 minutes ago, Ste said:

Loved Henderson's response when he was asked about what Jack Grealish made of being subbed back off. That's exactly what it's about, and something you could never have done with England teams of the past. There's genuinely no individuals, it's all about the team effort and what is best for the team. 

I hope they have enough in them in the final, I genuinely think they will. It'll be absolutely gutting if we lose, but it's been a great progression from what was already an amazing progression at the World Cup. A semi-final and a final in the last two major tournaments, hats off to these lads.

And the Nations Cup thing Semi, not to be sniffed at also IMO.

13 minutes ago, Rompe said:

Yeah, I mean seeing journalists and other idiots going "well actually Sterlings dive was a stonewall pen and it was the danish team who should have their goal disallowed" all over twitter is just so tiresome.

People actually believe that the free kick should be disallowed on a technicality which has never before in the history of the game resulted in a disallowed goal. Just look at Luke Edwards latest drivel.

:fwap:

Aye, they'll all be back in if it doesn't go our way on Sunday and you know what, I'll not give a shite about their gloating :lol:

I'm absolutely loving this, unchartered territory for me and I'm gona enjoy it as long as it lasts.

We are in a final, first time in many fans lifetime. We have some pretty likeable players and I'd say the best is yet to come with a lot of them.

Ok we have shithoused a bit in the games, better teams than us have made a living out of it and we've been on the end of some of it. 

I'm honestly not allowing anyone to pull me down on England making a final conceding 1 goal from a set piece. Total unchartered territory and I'm drinking it all in, salty tears n'all!

We've been rightly fined for the laser pen and being complete wankers for the national anthems. A small minority can't help but be wankers.

2 hours ago, Rompe said:

He says, wiping away the tears streaming down his face.

(Sterlings pen was debatable but England were the much better team, fwiw)