UEFA Euro 2020 Final: England 1 - 1 Italy (Italy win 3-2 on pens)

Disco

Been quite emotional today, which will probably be laughed at by nations like Italy and France. But for all this talk that one day England will eventually reach a final, it's hard to know how to act when it actually arrives :lol:

I'm not even a proper England fan tbh but the past 25 years have been quite the story. The nation has been in this incredible bubble over the past couple of weeks and it's been a wonderful experience - the fact that it was done by such a nice group of likeable, talented players makes it amazing. Gareth Southgate is quite a man.

44 minutes ago, ElDiablo said:

Urgh, woke up at 5.30. Gonna be a long arse day.

SAME. Struggled to sleep with nerves/anticipation and then woke up early anyway [emoji38] hoping I’ll crash and can have a nap before 8pm 

Tense ,tight, close .

This goes to pens , nailed on, many scummy cunts around our land wreck the place if we lose , football is not coming home .

Dont let it be these headlines , go win it 👍

So far, we've been a bit inhibited by the fear of defeat, but somehow I think the pressure has eased. Going out in the earlier rounds, or to a team like Ukraine or Denmark, would have been hard to take, but getting to a final is an achievement in itself and the expectations around playing Italy are different. 

Sometimes, a tournament just opens up for a side, and by the time the final comes round, the momentum and belief has become strong. I'm thinking Greece and Denmark in the Euros, and France in 1998, and England in 1966. I just feel this team has the mentality now that whatever challenge comes up tonight, they'll rise to it. (Playing at home helps, of course)

I feel supremely relaxed today, like. Probably the least anxious I've felt all tournament. 

I suppose the biggest fear was underachieving again, especially given how likeable the manager and this group of players are. I'd have hated for them to bottle it and/or not reach their rightful peak at this tournament and/or somehow disgrace themselves, like England teams of the past. They totally deserve to be in the final facing as historic and formidable an opponent as you could wish to face, very much side by side with them on merit. 

So it kinda feels like, win or lose, they've already won in a way. Which I realise is, ironically, a bit of a loser's mentality, but the point is - we can be proud of this team no matter what. There'd be no shame in falling at this hurdle though obviously it would be a huge chance lost. And despite my uptick in emotion and tension over the course of the tournament; that has come really as much because of the state of NUFC - and desperately searching for a new team to support in order to get 'the feelings' - as the likeability of this England team. The reality is - wonderful though this tournament has been, I don't feel the sense of passion and desperation for victory as keenly as I would were this my club team; I'm simply just enjoying the (amazing) ride at this point. It's just so, so brilliant to be in the final and it feels a bit like the pressure's off now as a supporter. There's also the small matter of this being unchartered territory and not really knowing how or what to think/feel!

I think we'll win and it will be absolutely fantastic for everyone. They're so outrageously focused and generally unruffled, some scrapes against Scotland aside; they look as fit and fresh and as composed as any team at the tournament. Plus Kane and Sterling are in great form. 

I think we'll win to nil again and it'll be a delight to watch, with about 5% of the tension (personally) that I felt against Denmark. 

26 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I feel supremely relaxed today, like. Probably the least anxious I've felt all tournament. 

I suppose the biggest fear was underachieving again, especially given how likeable the manager and this group of players are. I'd have hated for them to bottle it and/or not reach their rightful peak at this tournament and/or somehow disgrace themselves, like England teams of the past. They totally deserve to be in the final facing as historic and formidable an opponent as you could wish to face, very much side by side with them on merit. 

So it kinda feels like, win or lose, they've already won in a way. Which I realise is, ironically, a bit of a loser's mentality, but the point is - we can be proud of this team no matter what. There'd be no shame in falling at this hurdle though obviously it would be a huge chance lost. And despite my uptick in emotion and tension over the course of the tournament; that has come really as much because of the state of NUFC - and desperately searching for a new team to support in order to get 'the feelings' - as the likeability of this England team. The reality is - wonderful though this tournament has been, I don't feel the sense of passion and desperation for victory as keenly as I would were this my club team; I'm simply just enjoying the (amazing) ride at this point. It's just so, so brilliant to be in the final and it feels a bit like the pressure's off now as a supporter. There's also the small matter of this being unchartered territory and not really knowing how or what to think/feel!

I think we'll win and it will be absolutely fantastic for everyone. They're so outrageously focused and generally unruffled, some scrapes against Scotland aside; they look as fit and fresh and as composed as any team at the tournament. Plus Kane and Sterling are in great form. 

I think we'll win to nil again and it'll be a delight to watch, with about 5% of the tension (personally) that I felt against Denmark. 

Very much how I’m feeling. Genuinely just thrilled we’ve reached a final tbh.

I do think we’ll win - but I don’t think it’ll be pretty. And if we are to lose, what an experience this has been and with such a young squad, I’m sure better things are to come our way. 

I'm with Yorkie. I was worried about not making the final again.

I'm sure the nerves will kick in at tea time.

Man, I already can't wait for the world cup, the craic, the atmosphere, the debate. International tournaments are only surpassed by a Newcastle success IMO.