UEFA Euro 2020 Final: England 1 - 1 Italy (Italy win 3-2 on pens)

Disco

Just now, Bimpy474 said:

I would say the argument that could be had is that we've had decent draws (Germany aside) and when it mattered we've failed. To make the extra step we need a better manager, thinks that's fairly clear like.

Nah, Southgate is 100% what I want from an England manager.

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Pens were shite and I won't point the finger at any of those who missed despite seeing the opposition miss twice and not take advantage of it but the 90 minutes was just shocking management. I worried that player for player us and Italy are very similar and it would be managerial nous that saw the winners through, and hey ho, it was Mancini, a man whose won trophies before.

I will point at Rashford, he's usually fairly decent on pens for man u and then he pulls that shite out for this? And missed! Saka and Sanchos were saved, fair enough shit happens but he missed and there is no excuse for missing 

He's a bit of a prat but big respect to Pickford man. Needed more of the players to have his mindset and guts in that penalty shootout. Very strong mentally that kid.

Just now, 54 said:

Sums up my thoughts entirely. 

I don't advocate people intentionally winding up/gloating/antagonising the hurting England fans on the forum so soon after the final, but we're allowed to have a more nuanced debate about mistakes we thought he made.

Southgate has done well overall but he is overly negative considering the squad you have and had no response to Mancini’s changes. 

Harsh but he’s just another PFM hoping for a bit of magic that can talk well outside WW2.

1 minute ago, Bimpy474 said:

I would say the argument that could be had is that we've had decent draws (Germany aside) and when it mattered we've failed. To make the extra step we need a better manager, thinks that's fairly clear like.

Definitely. England have so many good young attacking players and yet Southgate doesn't play them or hardly at all. He's shit

2 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

Although Pickford save two, the difference in compoaure between the 2 keepers were stark in contrast. Donaruma was very calm from the moment he started walking for the pens.

Pickford was excellent. That guy is gutsy.

5 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Rashford and Sancho clearly not sent on to take pens, not sure why people are saying they shouldn't have been allowed to take them? 

I think they’re saying that it was weird to send on players to take a penalty who have barely been used and hadn’t touched the ball. 

Guest neesy111
Just now, GWN said:

We were terrific for 28 mins, can anyone point to where it went wrong?

We didn't adapt to the changes Italy made and didn't know what to do on the lead.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

He's a bit of a prat but big respect to Pickford man. Needed more of the players to have his mindset and guts in that penalty shootout. Very strong mentally that kid.

Was thinking when he saved Jorginho's pen that he's impossible to psych out because he's so thick :lol:

Just now, jdckelly said:

I will point at Rashford, he's usually fairly decent on pens for man u and then he pulls that shite out for this? And missed! Saka and Sanchos were saved, fair enough shit happens but he missed and there is no excuse for missing 

The stuttering run ups never seem to work. Donnarumma saw right through him.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

He's definitely someone who gets a harsh rap on here (Mackem and all) but he definitely steps up for England every time.

Guest neesy111
6 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Rashford and Sancho clearly not sent on to take pens, not sure why people are saying they shouldn't have been allowed to take them? 

So why were they sent on after 119 mins?

Just now, GWN said:

We were terrific for 28 mins, can anyone point to where it went wrong?

Just football. I don't think England did nothing wrong/much different from what they've been doing before. Defensive football puts you closer to lose than win. Wins like the Portuguese in 2016 or Greece in 2004 take an insane amount of luck to happen.