UEFA Euro 2020 Final: England 1 - 1 Italy (Italy win 3-2 on pens)

Disco

Just now, Froggy said:

If he doesn't do a stutter run up and takes a conventional penalty but still misses then what? Is it sensible then? 

100% as he reduced the odds of not fucking it up without doing all the unnecessary bullshit before taking it.

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I hear you but ultimately the side struggles to look convincing putting games away, aside from the game against Ukraine.

When you consider the players the team has going forward that hardly played it just leaves you wondering if we really saw the best of this bunch.

I agree. Should have gone 4 at the back second half, Chiellini was playing as a shadow striker at one point he was so unconcerned with our threat.

Just now, LiquidAK said:

Pickford was perfect tonight - fucking nailed it. He saved against Jorginho, as the commentator put it "Mr. 100%". As much as he's a mackem twat, he nailed it tonight

Yes, have to begrudgingly give him credit. [emoji38]

Unlucky with the goal anarl.

Mackem prick.

2 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Perfect opportunity at 1 nil to bring on Sancho etc. to catch them on the break. Gutless management.

Southgate is a nice guy but a bit of a dinosaur tactically; our press today was non existent.

Yes, 100%. The game could have been sewn up with a bit more initiative being shown earlier on in the second half.

Instead the team was just allowed to fall further and further back and start playing to hold on to the result.

Once Italy scored the team was just in limbo. Had no idea whether to push on or how to go forward anymore.

I get both sides of the Southgate debate. On one hand, he’s now taken y’all to your best WC finish in 28 years and best Euros finish ever. And he doesn’t strike me as a moron or a dickhead, so that’s always nice. :lol: 

On the other hand, this was the weakest the rest of the field has been in a long time and it’s gotta be disappointing to not have pulled out the win considering the depth of this squad. He was outclassed by a superior tactician, perhaps the best in the tournament, and will likely regret quite a few of his decisions tonight.

Realistically, unless you’re willing to look beyond English managers, I’m not sure who’d do better than Southgate. Howe? Maybe.

Just now, Pilko said:

Ref didn't give us the steam off his piss all night either. Some ridiculous "advantages" given to us when the free kick was preferable and couldn't get the whistle in his mouth fast enough when we fouled them.

Think England have had enough advantages in this pan-European tournament

1 minute ago, Tomato Deuce said:

I get both sides of the Southgate debate. On one hand, he’s now taken y’all to your best WC finish in 28 years and best Euros finish ever. And he doesn’t strike me as a moron or a dickhead, so that’s always nice. :lol: 

On the other hand, this was the weakest the rest of the field has been in a long time and it’s gotta be disappointing to not have pulled out the win considering the depth of this squad. He was outclassed by a superior tactician, perhaps the best in the tournament, and will likely regret quite a few of his decisions tonight.

Realistically, unless you’re willing to look beyond English managers, I’m not sure who’d do better than Southgate. Howe? Maybe.

Southgate will not get sacked. Not unless they have an extremely shockingly bad World Cup.

The last world cup and this tournament has secured his job for the foreseeable future. 

You can now hope that he learns from this and goes on to become an even better manager.

Just now, ManDoon said:

It feels weird to crticize Southgate but you have to think with a better manager we would have reacted, changed something. He was really really bad tonight.

He sat back and watched us get battered for the majority of the game without changing anything. Mind you at least he didn't play 2 left backs like a certain King, though technically he did play 2 right backs.

7 minutes ago, Pilko said:

Ref didn't give us the steam off his piss all night either. Some ridiculous "advantages" given to us when the free kick was preferable and couldn't get the whistle in his mouth fast enough when we fouled them.

Was screaming at the telly when he did that one in Extra time on the edge.

7 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

Nah. Pickford was brilliant. Dragged England back with that Jorginho save. Not trying to downplay Donnarumma but he got lucky with Rashford penalty and England's head was gone after that. Pickford's made saves against good and experienced penalty takers. As a Liverpool fan, it is hard to admit, but barring any new goalkeepers developing, he has sealed the England number one spot for the next 4-6 years with his performances in this tournament. 

Yeah. I'm not discrediting Pickford in any way. He saved two pens and on another day, he would have been on the winning side. I just liked how Donarumma went about it from the start. A very composed guy right until he saved that Saka pen. And you're right, barring any major drop in form, or Rafa not liking him, he'll be England's no.1 for quite a while.

Just now, ManDoon said:

Yeah I don't know why he's being lauded for a tackle that's literally outlawed in American Football. It's not just dragging someone back.

Yeah, it's got to be as dangerous as a wild and uncontrolled tackle. Kid could have snapped his neck on impact.

28 minutes ago, Beren said:

I wonder if Southgate chose, or he asked for players to volunteer.

Pretty sure I saw Grealish volunteer to go sixth if it came to it during the pre-penalty huddle.

:pow:

2 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

It feels weird to crticize Southgate but you have to think with a better manager we would have reacted, changed something. He was really really bad tonight.

Yeah but it’s a bit of truism though, isn’t it? Italy were mad lucky to have someone of Mancini’s caliber managing them. Which English manager at the moment does a better job than Southgate?

Southgates limitations exposed in that game. It’s a bit of a puzzler because he’s done very well but it’s all plan A type of stuff. We missed Foden massively. There are still some problems with the way we play in England too. So much talk of needing to find ways of bringing players into the game. Whereas you want players who play themselves into it. 

22 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Where you at @Flip

:lol: :lol:  Nah man.

It's been a weird tournament. I'm sad it has ended like this for you lot, but at the end of the day the best team won deservedly. 

I know a lot of you respect and love Southgate and for the last two major championships you've finished 4th and 2nd, but there is just something about this cautious football which I've been warning about. England hasn't faced any great teams in the Euros until tonight, and I thought England looked well when they tried to play football but when they wanted to defend deep and invite Italy they were dominated. I can't applaud someone who has players like Grealish, Foden, Sancho, Rashford, Kane, Sterling and still decides to be cautious. All these guys would walk into the Brazilian squad, you can't say that about prior generations. Adding to that, those decisions to throw Sancho and Rashford on just for the penalties is absolutely shocking and I felt it from the moment those subs were made it was over. That being said he shouldn't be the only one held accountable. Sterling who has been fantastic during the tournament should've had the decency to demand he takes a pk and not shy away from it. Same goes for players like Shaw, Stones and even Grealish. To let Sancho and Saka step up there and take the 4th and 5th penalty is shameful. 

Just now, Tomato Deuce said:

Yeah but it’s a bit of truism though, isn’t it? Italy were mad lucky to have someone of Mancini’s caliber managing them. Which English manager at the moment does a better job than Southgate?

You know the answer........