UEFA Euro 2020 Final: England 1 - 1 Italy (Italy win 3-2 on pens)

Disco

Just now, Flip said:

Nah it's never a red. Although, how Jorginho wasn't sent off is another one. Thought the ref did well for most parts, let the game flow compared to if you watched Brazil v Argentina where the ref was stopping at every possible opportunity. But that stamp on Jack was as clear as a day. Can't believe it wasn't given by VAR. 

I’m not saying it’s a red now, but the rules should be changed so it is. 

Growing up with Keegan and Robson as well as the England 96 team it really is hard to stomach negative football. We've been plagued with it, especially at Newcastle since Souness onwards. It's especially jarring when your team actually has a wealth of attacking talent that never sees the light of day. I always follow the Keegan philosophy of defending by attacking. Negative football requires too much luck to win, and we don't have it.

Unlucky. Not many are going to win penalties against Donnarumma. Southgate made a judgement call with the last 3 kick takers, it backfired, shit happens. He just took you to within an inches of a cup with a midfield engineroom consisting of inexperienced Leeds and West Ham players and in general a wildly young and inexperienced squad. Also only conceded 2 with a back 5 that doesn’t really look good on paper. Been a great tournament all over.

Understand Southgate claiming responsibility for choosing the pen takers (don't believe that for one minute btw) - Sterling, Stones and media darling Grealish should be ashamed sending Saka up as 5th kicker, least experience, after a poor game. If you'd offered me it I'd have had ten grand on him missing that pen.

I know you lot are probably down right now, but I think that this has been a great Euro overall. Lots of tense games and great matches.

Also Donnaruma is a monster, we've been there. You'll be up for it in 2022. Argentina and Brazil aren't looking too hot and I don't see most Euro nations improving massively except maybe France if they sort themselves out and us with more experience (but I think we overachieved this year, too).

Edited by Village Idiot

Guest neesy111
1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Saka already getting racist abuse online, fuck me, what's wrong with folk?

Rashford got it in the pub I'm at ffs.

6 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I love Bonucci/Chi as much as the next guy, but they are 34/36. I think with a young attacking team and both of them on yellows we have to be putting them under more pressure. Lofting high balls to Kane to get beaten in the air was pointless

Yup. When you take into account the age and lack of pace of those two and two fullbacks who looked dodgy defensively, this was the game to go with more attacking intent at some point, but the manager chose to stick with the formula he has gone with throughout and it ultimately failed him at the biggest moment, as many feared it would.

6 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I love Bonucci/Chi as much as the next guy, but they are 34/36. I think with a young attacking team and both of them on yellows we have to be putting them under more pressure. Lofting high balls to Kane to get beaten in the air was pointless

Yup. When you take into account the age and lack of pace of those two and two fullbacks who looked dodgy defensively, this was the game to go with more attacking intent at some point, but the manager chose to stick with the formula he has gone with throughout and it ultimately failed him at the biggest moment, as many feared it would.

In the end, we were let down by the usual English problem of a lack of technical ability on the ball. Italy's superior ability to keep the ball in tight spaces and pass accurately was very apparent. A chance opened up for us with the home games and the easy draw, but we weren't quite good enough to take it. 

We have been relying a lot on Sterling to open things up for us. His change of pace and direction will always be a threat, but he's a poor passer of the ball and doesn't always know when to pass. He wasted some good opportunities for us tonight. A couple of times in the first half, he had the ball on the right, but couldn't feed in the wing back running into acres of space. He ended up running down a blind alley into the centre. I don't think he's confident about that particular pass, which needs to be carefully weighted. We need to get a better balance between skill and athleticism through the side. 

Easy with hindsight, but was it a good idea for Southgate to pick three young players for the 3rd, 4th and 5th penalties?

14 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

Sorry but this this shite.

Southgate's turned England from laughing stock to actually being a genuine force at international football again.

He deserves praise for galvanizing the team but there’s no way he achieves anything without the insane talent in this current squad.

He’s another in a long line of old school,  English man-managers, with a tenuous grasp of modern tactics. No discernible play-style beyond sitting back and breaking.

The England setup has been bolstered massively from the best (foreign) managers in the world getting involved with premier league teams and coaching our youth properly; which why we have this crop of talent. Unfortunately, there is a real dearth of good tactical English managers. We are still so far behind the coaching levels of countries like Germany and Italy.

Edited by McCormick

2 minutes ago, McCormick said:

He deserves praise for galvanizing the team but there’s no way he achieves anything without the insane talent in this current squad.

He’s another in a long line of old school,  English man-managers, with a tenuous grasp of modern tactics. No discernible play-style beyond sitting back and breaking.

The England setup has been bolstered massively from the best (foreign) managers in the world getting involved with premier league teams and coaching our youth properly; which why we have this crop of talent. Unfortunately, there is a real dearth of good tactical English managers. We are still so far behind the coaching levels of countries like Germany and Italy.

I think it’s also because of the restructuring of the English game to develop much better technical players. 

3 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

Mount is not the answer for that position behind Kane.  That needs changing.

Really poor tournament just when he was starting to prove people wrong at Chelsea

10 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Yeah, like it was almost like he completely went the opposite way and made a crazy call at the end. As bad as henderson was, I would have rather had him taking a pen.

Henderson has taken 2 pens for England, 1 in a shootout, and they've both been atrocious. He was right to take him out of the possible takers imo. I've not seen Sancho take but I was surprised not to see DCL come on to take one.

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Saka already getting racist abuse online, fuck me, what's wrong with folk?

I'm more amused at the fact that you are in any way surprised about this :lol:

Do you understand that as long as the internet is a thing this is never not going to be a thing?

Why anyone continues to take these people seriously I'll never know.

Tossed it away, goal up, crowd up at half time. We come out second half looking terrified of our own shadows. Reactive Southgate does nothing until we concede which had been coming for about 20 mins. Piss poor. And those subs bringing on cold players for a gigantic pressure moment... Awful.

Lots to be proud of, but feels like a huge missed opportunity. 

Blummin gutted and moreso cos I think we got it wrong on several counts tonight, typically for the first time in the tournament. Despite my love for this team it does leave a bit of a sour taste. I'd have rather been battered than just given it away like it feels like we did tonight. 

@Interpolic summed it up well.

Ah well. They've given us a hell of a summer and I'll always be very grateful for that.