UEFA Euro 2020 Final: England 1 - 1 Italy (Italy win 3-2 on pens)

Disco

1 minute ago, Willow said:

When I see the violence, the racial hatred and animalistic behaviour of the England fans, it just makes me want to give up supporting them. It's like I'm somehow a part of it and it makes me feel a bit sick.

I realise it's a minority, but it's still a lot of them and makes me absolutely ashamed. Am I being over the top? It just really depresses me seeing them do this shit all over and over again. Scumbags will be scumbags of course.

I feel the same sometimes, guess you just have to remember it’s a minority who behave badly. 

I hate that part of English culture in general, but they don’t decide what it means to be English. We all do. 

The tribal nature of football is stupid anyway IMO, I’ve never enjoyed it. I don’t have much idea of rivalry or hatred of other teams at all. I just like watching the skill and the tactics more than anything else. 

3 minutes ago, McCormick said:

He’s just limited imo. Sitting back and countering can be a valid tactic depending on the personnel at your disposal. But come on; it’s been proven in the last few years that, if you have the players, a well-organized high press is generally the winning formula. 

Unfortunately, for all his good attributes, Southgate is not at that elite level to execute this kind of game-plan. Which, based on the talent of this squad, means he’s not up to the task.

Just came on to post this. He seems a decent enough motivator, and a friendly enough face to stick in front of the cameras for interviews, but he's no business managing football teams at this level, like. Contrast with Mancini.

Despite the plethora of talent at his disposal, Southgate doesn't know what the best 11 is and what system bests suits them. He's lucked out getting the England gig.

Just now, toon25 said:

Just came on to post this. He seems a decent enough motivator, and a friendly enough face to stick in front of the cameras for interviews, but he's no business managing football teams at this level, like. Contrast with Mancini.

Despite the plethora of talent at his disposal, Southgate doesn't know what the best 11 is and what system bests suits them. He's lucked out getting the England gig.

Massively disagree with the "doesn't know the best 11" chat. Part of what has been so successful up until the final is that Southgate picked the team for the opposition we were facing. There is no "best 11", only the best team to face what you're up against. 

6 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

Yeah it's a minority but a significant size.

Hearing some of the stuff in the pub today made me sick tbh.

Absolutely. I cant stand it. Most England games, if I can bare to watch them, I watch at home

5 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

Yeah it's a minority but a significant size.

Hearing some of the stuff in the pub today made me sick tbh.

It's interesting really. Does this happen with other European teams as well? The French team for example, with the likes of Pogba and Mbappe etc?

If that many fans feel so strongly about it in this country then why not just leave the national team to them if you're not English through and through. Very simple solution.

Just now, LiquidAK said:

Massively disagree with the "doesn't know the best 11" chat. Part of what has been so successful up until the final is that Southgate picked the team for the opposition we were facing. There is no "best 11", only the best team to face what you're up against. 

I disagree. No surprise the team that just win the tournament played pretty much the same team throughout.

Southgate is limited to s system where he want 2 DMs or 2wingbacks, which immediate negates the impact of pretty much the best collection of attacking players England gas had for generations

11 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Well sure, but people make red card challenges all the time. Not sure what your argument is. 

Just that its a shirt pull, it can never be a straight red even if you pull around the neck.

Unless it's last man.

Just now, ToonArmy1892 said:

Just that its a shirt pull, it can never be a straight red even if you pull around the neck.

Unless it's last man.

Fair enough under the current rules, but it could be different. 

Imagine if he drags Saka to the ground by his hair instead of the neck of his shirt.

IMO that was a challenge with quite a lot of violence and danger in it. A yellow card doesn’t seem enough to me. 

Just now, ManDoon said:

I'm sure Ozil got some stick didn't he. I'm sure it happens to other teams as well, we just don't see it.

It was famously a big issue around the France 98 squad.

7 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

That’s one the many reasons why we always hated Pardew tbh. Not concentrating on your strengths but on your opponent.

That challenge on saka was a massive massive moment. Saka gets away there and absolute worse case scenario is we get a shot on target. Personally I think we end up getting a goal and winning the tournament. Huge moment. 

Edited by Scotty66

4 minutes ago, Pata said:

That’s one the many reasons why we always hated Pardew tbh. Not concentrating on your strengths but on your opponent.

There is a difference between planning for the opposition and obsessing over it though 

Maybe the plan was to mirror the Germany game and make it a bit of a non-event for 60 or 70 minutes then go for it late on. In which case the early goal actually negated a lot of our preparation. We looked dangerous every time we attacked them early on and should have probed further, whether it was instructions from Southgate or nerves or a lack of intelligence or experience on the pitch that made us invite them on, who knows. It was crap though, really crap. 

11 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Why can't it be classed in the same way as an out of control tackle?

Because it's a shirt pull and not a tackle.

And, i don't make the rules.

Edited by ToonArmy1892

5 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I'm sure Ozil got some stick didn't he. I'm sure it happens to other teams as well, we just don't see it.

Yeah, I'd be surprised if this wasn't an issue elsewhere too. 

I just can't imagine why on earth the future Sterlings and Rashfords would continue to put up with it. They could be doing amazing things for Jamaican football instead and having an absolute ball every time they went back there, as real heroes for the country. Think I read somewhere Greenwood is thinking about representing Jamaica instead and recruiting more players to do so.

10 minutes ago, KaKa said:

It's interesting really. Does this happen with other European teams as well? The French team for example, with the likes of Pogba and Mbappe etc?

If that many fans feel so strongly about it in this country then why not just leave the national team to them if you're not English through and through. Very simple solution.

I was thinking about this and when you look at the way other European countries celebrate, with flares and fireworks, you get a sense that they are trusted more to express themselves. The uptight repressed cunts that run this shithole don't want us to enjoy ourselves.