UEFA Euro 2020 Final: England 1 - 1 Italy (Italy win 3-2 on pens)

Disco

16 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Fair enough under the current rules, but it could be different. 

Imagine if he drags Saka to the ground by his hair instead of the neck of his shirt.

IMO that was a challenge with quite a lot of violence and danger in it. A yellow card doesn’t seem enough to me. 

Maybe so, it's still only a yellow under current rules, that's why he did it 

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, I'd be surprised if this wasn't an issue elsewhere too. 

I just can't imagine why on earth the future Sterlings and Rashfords would continue to put up with it. They could be doing amazing things for Jamaican football instead and having an absolute ball every time they went back there, as real heroes for the country. Think I read somewhere Greenwood is thinking about representing Jamaica instead and recruiting more players to do so.

Would be so much more hassle to play for Jamaica

3 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

Maybe the plan was to mirror the Germany game and make it a bit of a non-event for 60 or 70 minutes then go for it late on. In which case the early goal actually negated a lot of our preparation. We looked dangerous every time we attacked them early on and should have probed further, whether it was instructions from Southgate or nerves or a lack of intelligence or experience on the pitch that made us invite them on, who knows. It was crap though, really crap. 

Have to say my first reaction after the excitement of the goal wore of was "fuck, we've scored too early". 

7 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Shirt pull is generous like. If he grabbed by the neck and slammed him like that he'd be off 100 percent. You don't generally see players get slammed that way, they get pulled down a lot, but not that way. Was more NFL than football

I would have to watch it again but i though Saka got passed him, he pulled him by the shirt high up, causing himself to kind of run into his own shirt around the neck, it's a blatant foul, maybe it SHOULD be a red yes, but it isn't.

12 minutes ago, Pata said:

That’s one the many reasons why we always hated Pardew tbh. Not concentrating on your strengths but on your opponent.

The contexts are entirely different though. Pardew (/any club manager) had entire seasons to manufacture an identity and find as many occasions as possible to impose that on various opposition, especially with a talented squad. Pardew was rightly reviled for spending all week on the opposition cos it was reactionary, defeatist and - above all - unnecessary

But in an extremely condensed tournament environment, with a team thrown together at the end of a gruelling season, it makes more sense to play the occasion. The decision was clearly vindicated as well seeing as we got to the final.

And in any case I think he got the balance right; the gameplans weren't entirely about the opposition; he was blessed with options and used them to suit us as well. Just not tonight, annoyingly. 

Shame a sizeable minority ruined so many evenings tonight. 

I guess when you encourage selfishness in a generation that was dragged up, often in poverty and discouraged to pursue an education, this is what you get. Throw in a days worth of booze and it's a disaster waiting to happen.

3 minutes ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

I would have to watch it again but i though Saka got passed him, he pulled him by the shirt high up, causing himself to kind of run into his own shirt around the neck, it's a blatant foul, maybe it SHOULD be a red yes, but it isn't.

He tried to grab his collar with both fucking hands, but his left didn't stick. Fuck knows where he would have ended up if it had. He almost hanged the poor sod.

Edited by Happinesstan

Just now, The Prophet said:

Shame a sizeable minority ruined so many evenings tonight. 

I guess when you encourage selfishness in a generation that was dragged up, often in poverty and discouraged to pursue an education, this is what you get. Throw in a days worth of booze and it's a disaster waiting to happen.

Sky studio had to be abandoned as well, due to being pelted with bottles, with one nearly hitting Martin Tyler (606)

Ultimately if you concentrate on stopping the opposition first and looking at winning the game second you’ll never achieve anything.

That’s what happened tonight.  Once we scored Southgate dropped his arse to protect the 1-0 rather than going for the second.  Only going to end one way after that:

2 minutes ago, triggs said:

Would be so much more hassle to play for Jamaica

Logistically 100%. Not sure what the state of the football association there is, but it's probably not great. But at some point maybe it takes the players deciding to sort it out themselves by making a commitment from their end first. And at least once it comes to the football they'd all know the people are all behind them. I just can't imagine being a parent of one of these lot and advising them to play for England. The joy of international football is that buzz of having a whole country behind you. Seems these lot are just tolerated as long as they don't screw up.

Just now, Sima said:

Ultimately if you concentrate on stopping the opposition first and looking at winning the game second you’ll never achieve anything.

That’s what happened tonight.  Once we scored Southgate dropped his arse to protect the 1-0 rather than going for the second.  Only going to end one way after that:

After the Germany game I held my belief, but it was just too long to hold on, in the end. The starting line-up got us into the lead but also left us unable to capitalise on the counter. Early goal fucked up our plan. 

10 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Its kind of a grey area, depends what you class as violent I guess. Players get sent off for like raised hands.

I mean look at this:

I'm not really disagreeing with ya, it could go down as dangerous play tbh, but players know they aren't getting sent off for that under current rules, just how it is.

11 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

Maybe the plan was to mirror the Germany game and make it a bit of a non-event for 60 or 70 minutes then go for it late on. In which case the early goal actually negated a lot of our preparation. We looked dangerous every time we attacked them early on and should have probed further, whether it was instructions from Southgate or nerves or a lack of intelligence or experience on the pitch that made us invite them on, who knows. It was crap though, really crap. 

I thought this was very obviously the plan when the teams were announced. I actually didn't even celebrate the goal that much, even in the moment it felt like a bad omen, Croatia all over again. 

14 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

He tried to grab his collar with both fucking hands, but his left didn't stick. Fuck knows where he would have ended up if it had. He almost hanged the poor sod.

grabbing a collar with both hands is still a shirt pull which = yellow card.

1 minute ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

grabbing a collar with both hands is still a shirt pull which = yellow card.

I'm not debating that. A late tackle is a late tackle but if the payer is deemed to be out of control then it's a red card. that is out of control

Edited by Happinesstan

Southgate impresses me so much in how he conducts himself on and off the pitch, gains the players’ respects and engages with the media. For those reasons and the recent tournament runs it’s hard to argue against keeping him. 

I think he’s also been exposed tactically and this was so similar to the Croatia game in how we made ourselves the dominated team with few ideas after an early lead, rather than capitalising. Also I get that in a big tournament you often have to be conservative, but this was too much. We should be building the team around the likes of Sancho, Foden and Grealish for years to come, but his reluctance to find roles for them, even as subs earlier on, I find very frustrating. The obsession with playing Mount also I don’t get. He is also a brilliant player but I see nothing in him that says he needs to start every game, especially as a winger over the aforementioned players. I still think it it’s typical of the English mindset to be be over-reliant on the reliable model-pro over anyone remotely maverick. 

It’s been a brilliant tournament and loved following England throughout, but without doubt the best team won. Well done Italy. 

1 minute ago, St. Maximin said:

but without doubt the best team won. Well done Italy. 

Can't deny that. I love Italians so I don't mind too much. And our squad is young enough to take immense pride in their achievement and look forward to the future.

Initial heat of the moment reaction - we just weren't brave enough and should have gone for it before penalties and risked it. Waited far too long to get on the subs as i've felt before but we've squeaked through in previous games, vindicating those decisions. Never really doubted the outcome once it got to penalties.

In any case - brave or not, the end result is likely the same. Italy were much better with the ball and their press killed us all game, we couldn't seem to hold onto the ball for more than a few passes.

Thought it was a bit mad to have the fifth penalty fall on the shoulders of a kid, knowing how crucial it could be. Easy to be wise after.

After a bit of reflection - Southgate wrung pretty much everything he could out of that group in a frantic and compressed tournament format after a long season. He tried his best to game manage us through and they came up against a fit and tactically excellent Italy. The bottom line is, they need more experience. In 2 to 4 years with that, they could be something special, I feel that there's definitely a tournament win in that collective of players.

Just now, LionOfGosforth said:

Initial heat of the moment reaction - we just weren't brave enough and should have gone for it before penalties and risked it. Waited far too long to get on the subs as i've felt before but we've squeaked through in previous games, vindicating those decisions. Never really doubted the outcome once it got to penalties.

In any case - brave or not, the end result is likely the same. Italy were much better with the ball and their press killed us all game, we couldn't seem to hold onto the ball for more than a few passes.

Thought it was a bit mad to have the fifth penalty fall on the shoulders of a kid, knowing how crucial it could be. Easy to be wise after.

After a bit of reflection - Southgate wrung pretty much everything he could out of that group in a frantic and compressed tournament format after a long season. He tried his best to game manage us through and they came up against a fit and tactically excellent Italy. The bottom line is, they need more experience. In 2 to 4 years with that, they could be something special, I feel that there's definitely a tournament win in that collective of players.

This was our chance. We fucked it.