UEFA Euro 2020 Final: England 1 - 1 Italy (Italy win 3-2 on pens)

Disco

I'll get this out the way first, as it absolutely needs to be considered although this isnt necessarily the time for it. But well done to them all. They all did great to get so far. Well done to Southgate for having a vision and executing it. Well done to the FA for the project and the idea. Well done to all the players for putting so much in and doing everyone proud. Nicey nicey isnt everyone so great.

However.

We bottled it. A lot of the criticism and reservations I had about our performances throughout the competition were exactly because of what was needed from us tonight. A killer instinct. A win or bust attitude. A "we are better than you. We're going to destroy you" mindset. Over the course of the 120 minutes we were beaten in that regard. Despite dominating the first half, really. Not taking advantage of that was why we lost. I'm critical of the subs. I'm critical of the attitude for a lot of it, but not for all. I remember thinking to myself in the first half after scoring and being so on top, that we need to make the most of this. And we didnt. We havent ended up needing to when we havent previously in the tournament, luckily, but there was always going to be a moment where we did. And it was tonight. 

It was unacceptable how we let them come at us so passively. For a half and extra time. We were always going to need luck to win it in the end by doing that and it didnt come. Despite how well we did by getting to a final you'll never convince me Philips and Rice are the key. We have so much more to give as a team in a footballing sense. I hope Southgate takes that viewpoint looking back at all this. There are games where 3 or 4 attackers are not enough. Tonight was the killer blow. 

Complement sandwich. This is the most I have cared about this team in a long fucking time. And the fact I'm so annoyed and disappointed is testament to them all. So there's that. Even though it makes this feeling even worse.

Shit end. Maybe its experience over expectation, but I dont see that opportunity happening again for a long time. Hope I'm wrong.

Fuck.

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

1 minute ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

You have to win finals when you get there, this nicey nicey we done well stuff is bs.

We did not win the trophy.

Cold light of day you're right of course. I watched Mancini, he was tweaking and changing throughout, GS is still a bit too reactive for me, he allowed Italy to pretty much dominate 75% of the game. 

Just now, LionOfGosforth said:

Cold light of day you're right of course. I watched Mancini, he was tweaking and changing throughout, GS is still a bit too reactive for me, he allowed Italy to pretty much dominate 75% of the game. 

yeah but tonight he wasnt even reactive. 

9 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

You just have to win, are we glad we got to the 98 and 99 FA Cup final, even though we lost? Are we fuck.

Well, i'm not anyway, just makes it hurt more.

Edited by ToonArmy1892

Branko put it better than I could. Real mix of emotions, most prominent one being it's a hugely missed opportunity that might not happen again. In a parallel universe, GS grows a pair of balls and subs better and we play more positively and win. It was nice to care about the national team again for a short while at least. If they take the real positives out of this and are coached with more bollocks in future, who knows what they might achieve.

2 minutes ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

You just have to win, are we glad we got to the 98 and 99 FA Cup final, even though we lost? Are we fuck.

Well, i'm not anyway, just makes it hurt more.

Don't disagree at all, just attempting to find something to cling to but yeah, it's a final and we had to win.

9 minutes ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

You just knew we were losing the pens like.

It wasn't even in doubt. [emoji38]

We are so fucking shit at them.

Worse than fucking Spain. 

I thought we would win, if I'm honest. I just felt that Pickford would do what he did, and we'd be prepared for once. I didn't know who was taking the pens at that point, like. It seems they were prepared for pens but they weren't mentally in the moment. Can't blame the players that stepped up.

Well that was an emotional night.

I think that Shaw scoring so early made things seem better than they were - I assumed they'd hold onto a 1-0, as Italy looked a shadow of themselves. Then suddenly Italy score and start playing well, England had no response. Substitutions were quite poor but don't want to be critical of Southgate when he's been such an inspirational and admirable figure. 

Just gutted that it was Sir Marcus and baby Saka who had to miss :(

Italian girlfriend is being unbearable too, speaking about football like she knows it when she really doesn't. She felt like everything was an injustice and England were playing rough, always having a go at our alleged unsportsmanlike behaviour. She can fuck right off. But anyway..... the World Cup is the real trophy, isn't it? Let Italy have their lil kids trophy.

11 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

I thought we would win, if I'm honest. I just felt that Pickford would do what he did, and we'd be prepared for once. I didn't know who was taking the pens at that point, like. It seems they were prepared for pens but they weren't mentally in the moment. Can't blame the players that stepped up.

Tbf when Jorginho stepped up i was like fuck this its over, and i celebrated like mad when it was saved.

I got a bit confused and didn't even realise we lost when Saka missed, thought Italy had to take another one [emoji38]:facepalm:

Fucking hell Im done in.

Weird how actually being out to watch a match in a large crowd reminds you of all that is good / bad about fair weather England fans. 

Class to celebrate a goal properly like a loon with mates but then hearing people being bad bad racists brazenly as fuck. 

28 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Wish we still had Vardy, bringing him on to be an absolute pest to Chi/Bon would have been great.

There speaks a man who didn’t attend England 0-0 Slovakia in St Etienne. 

56 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Wish we still had Vardy, bringing him on to be an absolute pest to Chi/Bon would have been great.

Southgate definitely wouldn't have brought him on even if available :lol:

I wanted Italy to win since the group stages so I'm happy enough but I feel so sorry for Saka. The lad is so fucking young and he's going to have to deal with some serious shit from England fans for years to come. The same people who threw shite Southgate's way for years. England have a weird set up like. In Ireland we'd be so immensely proud of our team but I feel like some of these guys who missed penalties are gonna get shit for a good while following this. 

The penalties were absolutely terrible by the way. I'm not sure what some of the more senior players like Sterling were doing letting the likes of Saka take key penalties while they themselves did fuck all. Cowards tbh. 

Edited by Decky

3 hours ago, Keefaz said:

Think Sterling should've come off or swapped over at half time. Defenders had him sussed and ref was giving him nowt.

Good to see you back on the forum man. Hope you stick around. 

1 hour ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Maybe its experience over expectation, but I dont see that opportunity happening again for a long time. Hope I'm wrong.

I know people are disappointed but I think there is a lot of cause for optimism. I remember someone interviewing a great NFL manager, Bellicheck I think. The question was what does it take to build a team to win the NFL. His response was (I am paraphrasing) , build a team which can continue reach the conference finals (semi-finals in european context) consistently and continuously knock on the door. One day the door will open.

Portugal Ronaldo generation won the Euros in 2016. Before that, reached final of Euro 2004 and lost at home to Greece (significantly worse team than Italy),  semi finals of world cup 2006, lost to Germany in quarter final of euro 2008, lost to Spain in round of 16 of world cup 2010, lost to Spain in penalties in semi finals of Euro 2012, crashed out of group stages in World cup 2014, bounced back to win in 2016. Same with the Germany's current generation which started with semi-finals of world cup in 2006, lost finals of euro 2008, semi finals of world cup 2010, semi-finals of euro 2012, before winning the world cup in 2014. 

Cleveland Cavaliers were not the best team in the NBA when they won it but they built a team with the addition of Lebron capable of reaching the finals. I think they reached the finals 4 times and in one of them, luck fell in their side. 

Spain was different but they were blessed with once in 100 years level of exceptional talent between 2008 and 2012. 

England have a squad capable of reaching the semi-finals of every major competition for the next 4-8 years. This is a very young team. And unless France gets their act together, there really is no great international team down there. Yes, Germany will improve under Flick but as long as Timo Werner remains their main striker, England will be favorite to win against them in the next few years.  England under Southgate have already reached the world cup semi-final and euro final and knocked. Keep doing that and one time the chips will fall in your favor.

I am not from England before anyone accuses me of having an overly optimistic view. 

I don’t think it’s fair to have a go at Southgate .

we were well on top for 30 mins then THE PLAYERS mindset changed , they sat back , stopped pressing ….THEY decided to settle for it, yes Southgate set us up for the pens , called it wrong but this group of players took their foot off the Italians throat and called it wrong .

Italy got fortunate with their goal but deserved it over 90mins for their energy . However we had this , we had it and decided on the pitch to give it away .

We just don’t have the good nouce to close a game down , they tried it far too early last night .Never mind , I’m not gutted , just a bit pissed off we let it go.

Everything I could say probably been said already and without wanting to be overly critical I hope he learns from this now and looks to change the way we play a bit.  I was always concerned, as others clearly were, that when you come up against an elite team or coach that setting up not to lose the game won't be enough as you have to set up to win every game not just the ones against poorer teams. 

Italy was a case in point, they wanted the ball and they wanted to dictate the game even when things looked grim, they played the same at 0-1, 1-1 etc.  We need to adjust now and start playing midfielders that want to control possession and are more creative with it.  I get the need to protect Stones & Maguire for sure but you can also protect them by holding onto the ball and having 70% possession yourselves.

Oh well Bruceball in a bit.

6 hours ago, ManDoon said:

Agree with him completely, its so annoying.

So when Rice tried to stop Chiesa first half after he went past him, first by pulling and then kicking, straight red?