UEFA Euro 2020 Final: England 1 - 1 Italy (Italy win 3-2 on pens)

Disco

6 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Sadly that was the result of a good manager vs an average to poor one. I’ve defended Southgate a lot this tournament and admit he’s done well to get us to the final, but his tactical limitations were there for all to see.

His in game management is atrocious and it cost us again.

Sadly the overall performance in the tournament will keep him in a job/even earn him praise.

On a side note, football once again bringing out the utter morons. Idiots attempting to break into Wembley followed by other idiots positing racist comments. Thick as pig shit, stop associating yourselves with football because you’re not part of it.

I don't think you can say that Southgate has done a bad job. Whether he could have done better is up for debate.

Every England manager has had to deal with the issue that our players aren't as technically able on the ball as their international opponents. Now I think ever since the start of the Premiership and the influx of foreign coaches and foreign players, our standards in that regard have improved. Whether we're quite able now to play a successful continental style game is the unknown. Southgate passed up the opportunity to give that a go, but possibly he was right to remain pragmatic.

I was optimistic going into the game, because we seemed to have gained some momentum and spirit after the Ukraine and Denmark games. I thought Southgate was going to pick the same side for the final, and I was disappointed when he reverted to three centre backs. It caught Italy on the hop, and we could have got 2 or 3 goals in the first half hour. But after Italy had adjusted, our players seemed to lose their way. We did look better when we went back to a back four, and brought in Grealish and Saka.

Looking at the starting eleven, there was only one player that you could say was truly comfortable on the ball, and that was Mount. And he struggled to get into the game, because he's a player who operates between the striker and the midfield, and we made very little attempt to play anyone in between the lines. We stuck to traditional English methods of getting behind the defence down the wings, and although it worked at first, due to Italy being unprepared, thereafter we looked more and more one dimensional. 

Southgate has done more than well enough to continue, but I hope he becomes that bit bolder, certainly once these good young players have gathered more experience.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

In the second half did we drop to s back four? I thought Saka just replaced Trippier at wing back.

Yeah, we did. I actually think that was a bad move, tbh, because it nullified Shaw who had been our most consistent attacking threat.

I thought that was the one tactical change Southgate made that was absolutely necessary at the time but the execution was just wrong.  It was needed because the moment they took Immobile off Italy were'n't playing with a striker so there was no point in playing 3 CBs marking nobody.  In theory we should have been able to use the extra man to get a foothold in the game but I think he just made the wrong sub, probably should have been Grealish or maybe Bellingham to try and get hold of the ball more.  That would have allowed Shaw to continue attacking, had we actually got the ball.

Guest neesy111
3 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Yeah, we did. I actually think that was a bad move, tbh, because it nullified Shaw who had been our most consistent attacking threat.

I'm not sure, we did seem to regroup after the change in formation.

Just now, Wullie said:

Christ I feel absolutely grim this morning. Hollowed out. Hate that feeling when you wake up and remember you've lost a big game. Can't imagine how the players feel today.

Same, and I've not felt it for so long as a Newcastle fan that it feels even worse. I'd completely forgotten what it was like to feel something about football.

Definitely need to work a way to either control the game from central midfield a bit better and/or provide a bit more drive from midfield.  The three of Rice, Phillips and Mount just didn't quite work for this game in the second half.  Hopefully Bellingham can offer something a bit different there in the future.

Just now, neesy111 said:

I'm not sure, we did seem to regroup after the change in formation.

I don't think the shape was the problem at that point, just the personnel. We were struggling to get through the middle for most of the game and then got rid of the one thing that had seemed to work with consistency which was overloading the full backs. Felt like we ended up not really being good at anything.

2 hours ago, Anon said:

I must admit to not really rating Maguire before, but what a tournament then stepping up to take #2. Would hope to see him as captain shortly.

Kind of despised him going in, but he was a leader on the pitch, no doubt. Rice is another that surprised me.

6 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Christ I feel absolutely grim this morning. Hollowed out. Hate that feeling when you wake up and remember you've lost a big game. Can't imagine how the players feel today.

I don’t think I’d feel this bad if Italy had walked all over us playing amazing football, but they were there for the taking. Such a missed opportunity :( 

Guest neesy111
3 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

I don't think the shape was the problem at that point, just the personnel. We were struggling to get through the middle for most of the game and then got rid of the one thing that had seemed to work with consistency which was overloading the full backs. Felt like we ended up not really being good at anything.

I would agree with that.  Saka wasn't the right sub.