UEFA Euro 2020 Final: England 1 - 1 Italy (Italy win 3-2 on pens)

Disco

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I really couldn't believe Rashford tried to pull that stunt in a finals penalty shootout against Donnaruma. Pretty ridiculous.

In fairness, it almost came off, in that he sent / made the keeper commit to going the wrong way, but then kept his eye on the keeper and hit the post instead of rolling it into the other side.

Was more surprised at more older/established PL players (sterling, shaw, stones) not steppibg up to take one before a 19 yr old. But i guess they all been asked beforehand, and those prepared to do it, did.

12 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

I didnt say this did I? 

Im seeing a lot of widespread condemnation of 'England fans' without much evidence. 'England fans abusing their own players', 'England fans sending racist messages'. Where? 

Look up racist on Twitter, plenty of stuff there when you wade through. Videos, tweets, Snapchat stuff...fill your boots.

I think Mr Andrew Bone and Henry Williams to name but two will be probably be out of a job because of it. Which is great news.

Edited by UncleBingo

I assume there must have been some strategy to the run ups because, as stated by other posters, it was out of keeping with previous penalties (in Rashford's case certainly); and we've had a fairly meticulous strategy for most other scenarios during the course of the tournament. You'd assume it was all planned.

Not looked back at the Spain shootout but did they think Donnarumma might be a bit twitchy, and so they chose to do that, sending him the wrong way? There is method to the stuttered run up, they don't do it for shits and gigs; just look at Jorginho's winner in the semi, where he sent Simon to his right before he'd even kicked it, and tapped it in to his left. 

Sadly we were up against an absolutely incredible goalkeeper - the best at the tournament imo - and he didn't fall for it (literally). 

Not excusing the choices, which were obviously wrong, just pointing out that there's probably an explanation. We just got nailed by a great goalie, bit like Ricardo in Euro 2004 really. 

8 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I assume there must have been some strategy to the run ups because, as stated by other posters, it was out of keeping with previous penalties (in Rashford's case certainly); and we've had a fairly meticulous strategy for most other scenarios during the course of the tournament. You'd assume it was all planned.

I was about to comment this, perhaps they looked at him and thought he has to go early because of his size so commit him with a faint.

Edited by mrmojorisin75

7 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

Look up racist on Twitter, plenty of stuff there when you wade through.

I think Mr Andrew Bone and Henry Williams will be probably be out of a job because of it. Which is great news.

"Henry Williams"

28 minutes ago, Mike said:

It's weird how with a certain type of manager an early 1-0 is a disadvantage.

Like us with Bruce. If a pelican or some other giant bird inexplicably beaked the ball into the opposition net or some other mad thing happened and we were 1 up before 10 minutes, we're 100 percent losing that game. Too conservative.

Funnily enough, it was like watching Bruceball for most of the match after Shaw scored. Trying to just protect a lead against a better side which every fan can see going to score at some point.

Sitting back is a terrible disease of the frightened manager, which we've had for so long and now England can experience it.

Guest neesy111
4 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

So how many were in the stadium then? Every seat looked taken to me 

60k officially.

1 minute ago, gjohnson said:

Funnily enough, it was like watching Bruceball for most of the match after Shaw scored. Trying to just protect a lead against a better side which every fan can see going to score at some point.

Sitting back is a terrible disease of the frightened manager, which we've had for so long and now England can experience it.

Yeah it was odd. I only saw the first half after the early goal and you were running the PFM "Turtle up and wait for a bit of magic from the fast/creative player" tactic for the most part.

:lol: I mean, it was a home game and Italy weren't themselves at all before HT. Wild.

4 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

"Henry Williams"

Okay, so that's one you can possibly discount.

Loads of others including videos. If you want to believe this is some sort of stitch up job on innocent England fans, you crack on fella.

29 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

I didnt say this did I? 

Im seeing a lot of widespread condemnation of 'England fans' without much evidence. 'England fans abusing their own players', 'England fans sending racist messages'. Where? 

Their social media have been sent racist emjois and messages. How are you defining England fans?

35 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I really couldn't believe Rashford tried to pull that stunt in a finals penalty shootout against Donnaruma. Pretty ridiculous.

It was actually inches away from being a brilliant pen tbf, although when you don't hit the target I suppose you will take pelters. 

3 minutes ago, Collage said:

Damn those cheating Italians 

Kane and Sterling were really bad for long periods of the first half imo, they got away with everything against Denmark and tried it on here.  If they'd actually stayed on their feet and battled a few things might have broken their way.

15 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Now England can experience it?? It's been an England trait in major tournament big games for as long as I can remember. We score very early, cede possession and eventually get done.

Croatia 2018 (Trippier after 5 mins)

Iceland 2016 (Rooney after 4 mins)

Portugal 2004 (Owen after 3 mins)

Brazil 2002 (Owen after 23 mins)

Argentina 1998 (Owen put us 2-1 up after 16 mins)

Germany 1996 (Shearer after 3 mins)

Guest neesy111
1 minute ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

Kane and Sterling were really bad for long periods of the first half imo, they got away with everything against Denmark and tried it on here.  If they'd actually stayed on their feet and battled a few things might have broken their way.

We are just as bad as other nations now at the going down stuff now.  Surprised it even needs to be mentioned.