UEFA Euro 2020 Final: England 1 - 1 Italy (Italy win 3-2 on pens)

Disco

When I saw Italy were kicking first I feared the worst. That clearly gives teams a huge psychological advantage. FIFA/UEFA seem intent on messing with many of football's rules the last few years, so for them to abandon the ABBA system so early is quite perplexing. The current setup for penalty shootouts is still a pretty big problem that needs to be addressed. 

1 minute ago, Interpolic said:

When I saw Italy were kicking first I feared the worst. That clearly gives teams a huge psychological advantage. FIFA/UEFA seem intent on messing with many of football's rules the last few years, so for them to abandon the ABBA system so early is quite perplexing. The current setup for penalty shootouts is still a pretty big problem that needs to be addressed. 

Win the toss.

The more I think about it, the more angry I am. Our big strength was our bench. We had options. Italy were playing their THIRD extra time in 4 games. Rashford, Sancho, Grealish all should have been on after 75 mins at the latest. Direct running at their defence.

Basically Southgate bottled taking off Sterling and Mount. 

48 minutes ago, Flip said:

Obviously Italy were the better side, but it's not like you were convinced that they were going to win it. Apart from Chiesa the other ones weren't creating anything. They fully deserved to win and controlled the game, but I really thought England were going to hold on. Immobile has been such a disappointing player. Doesn't do anything for me. 

Even when Italy were 1-0 down I still thought they would equalise, they were starting to control the game in the latter part of the second half. I never felt at any time that England would win the final. Even when Italy missed the first pen I sort of knew we'd miss as well. 

Let's just scrap penalties and have a sequence of 10-minute extra times with a player removed for each one (10 vs 10, 9 vs 9, 8 vs 8........ keeper vs keeper)

That'd be fun :lol:

The one positive is that those racist morons, bottle-throwers and ticketless fans who stampeded through security didn’t get to celebrate a win. It’s hard to criticise Southgate considering he united a nation and didn’t even lose the final. But there is definitely some questionable decisions to investigate when the nation has sobered up.

Southgate has got us to a semi final and final. He deserves the chance to manage us at next world cup. But he needs to be more reactive with his subs. I have no problem with us being defensive at times but you can't play like that ALL the time. Circumstances change in games. Last night, a perfect example. We will see if he has learned that in time.

9 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I think you can look at it two ways, he's either done really well getting us to a semi, and to a final. Or he's blown two of our easiest runs, and best chances to win something suffering the same issues both times at the final hurdle.

I can't help but feel that as far as the football side of things are concerned that he's done ok but no more than that. As you say the draws for both the WC and Euros were very favourable to us. In the WC especially given the draw the semi final is the very least we would have been expected to reach. That was probably as perfect a draw as you could ask for.

we've had a world cup and a euros where we've missed the big boys and had a real chance of winning both - moreso these euros as france were on a different level to us in 2018. 

Guest neesy111
1 hour ago, Wullie said:

Purely in terms of penalties, it's a pity Trippier and Mount were off. I'd absolutely bank on Trippier.

Missed 1 out of 1 for Atletico.  I was there. :(

29 minutes ago, samptime29 said:

Southgate has got us to a semi final and final. He deserves the chance to manage us at next world cup. But he needs to be more reactive with his subs. I have no problem with us being defensive at times but you can't play like that ALL the time. Circumstances change in games. Last night, a perfect example. We will see if he has learned that in time.

He needed to get players like Foden and Grealish into the games much earlier. Yes we were defensively solid, but when you've got players like that, they need to be in there to give the team some attacking flair as well. 

While we had more impact players as far as goals are concerned, Italians had better control of the game just because they were prepared to pass and move more. 

Guest HTT II

More gutted for my boys who were both in tears at the end, told them get used to it, this is England and we all know who our club team is… :'(

Gutted for Southgate and the players as well, they have done us proud and got further than I thought we’d get and although I consider losing the final a failure, I’m hopeful in future tournaments this kind of experience will make them stronger and indeed better. We have an exciting team and if Southgate can learn a few things and find a better attacking formula, we can be successful I’m sure.

Well done Gareth, the coaches and the players and thanks to all the teams for what has been a brilliant tournament.

now it’s back to the shitness that is all things NUFC….

Edited by HTT II

8 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Yeah that's pretty much how I see it, better manager and I think we have a trophy right now.

Better managers have failed many many times with better England squads. He implemented a system that allowed us to overcome a lot of our prior shortcomings. I think he came short in his decisions in the final, and I think he came short in certain games where we should've put 3 or 4 past teams, but despite my misgivings over how wet a blanket he is, he is the most successful England manager that I have experienced in my lifetime.

Guest HTT II

Oh and Mancini is fucking boss, I’m happy for him and a again, if we are to ever get taken over I’d love him at the Toon or should Southgate ever leave England…

Guest HTT II
4 minutes ago, SEMTEX said:

Better managers have failed many many times with better England squads. He implemented a system that allowed us to overcome a lot of our prior shortcomings. I think he came short in his decisions in the final, and I think he came short in certain games where we should've put 3 or 4 past teams, but despite my misgivings over how wet a blanket he is, he is the most successful England manager that I have experienced in my lifetime.

Agree with a lot of this, he now needs to find a way to implement a winning formula in attack as he has done with the defence and to be fair in how technical we now play. Can he do that? The signs are positive given he has literally transformed the whole team on and off the pitch in such a short time. We would never lose to say Iceland or the like again under Southgate. We always had that in us under the previous managers dating back to KK. He’s by and far the best manager in my lifetime of following England we’ve had in terms of results and tournament success. He well and truly deserves to lead us out in the World Cup. 

Guest HTT II
49 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

As much as I appreciate what Southgate has done for England, I wouldn't be touching him at club level.

I would have him here in a heartbeat, but I think he lacks the killer instinct or rather that one critical character element to ever be truly successful and I fear he’s blown it to win something with England which at this level you don’t always need to be a certain type to succeed, but when you do have that one off chance, you need to take it. Mancini in our dugout last night for example and we win. I know it’s not that simple but in one off games, he lacks something the likes of him don’t and those fine margins are often the difference, however small.

Edited by HTT II

I like Southgate, he speaks well and represents that national side very well, the players like him and is a great man manager by the looks of things but I just don't think I'll ever be convinced that he'll ever be up to it tactically. I posted last night that I worried that ourselves and Italy are very similar in terms of quality player for player and the game will be won tactically. And if its a tactical fight between Mancini and Southgate with squads of equal quality, Mancini wins it.

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

Our bench was much stronger than theirs imo. That’s where we had an edge and didn’t use it 

That was the most frustrating thing about the whole game. We could have fielded an entire different 11 to the one that started and I’d still have had us equal to Italy in talent and ability if not more so. Southgate needs to start trusting his more forward thinking players more and ditch this two deep lying defensive midfielders nonsense. 

Guest HTT II

Phillips has had a decent tournament and I get why he is in there for his energy, but I’d rather have someone in there who can pass and play forward balls quickly and be more on their toes in an attacking sense than a defensive sense. That’s the kind of energy I wanna see. Rice is a waste of a shirt. No need for him whatsoever say over Henderson or Billingham. And Mount for me is an odd fit in this team and system as a so-called attacking player. Grealish, Foden, Saka and Sancho for example are all better options in any set up for me.