UEFA Euro 2020 Final: England 1 - 1 Italy (Italy win 3-2 on pens)

Disco

6 hours ago, ManDoon said:

This is a fair point, but Mata is 33, and Telles is 27. I didn't watch the entire tournament but Telles definitely played a fair bit in that I think,  @Froggy will know but Juan Mata is an older head, and a multiple trophy winner, though he has missed in a final. I guess for me, it's more that they were players who had barely even played, in the biggest game of their entire career by an absolute mile contextually that's different for me.

Sancho as taken 4 penalties for Dortmund, one of which was in the youth league. I just think it's a different ball game. I don't think the pressure is anywhere near as high in a EL final and taking into account playing time, age, it just doesn't make sense to me

Telles has taken 20 in his career scoring 16. It's just totally different imo. Maybe Sancho bangs them in training, but on that stage at that time, with that amount of playing time under his belt, its a hard pass for me.

You're 100% right. 

7 minutes ago, Wullie said:

I'm a bit haunted by that Foden injury. He was exactly what we needed in the late stages with his ability to pass forward and retain possession.

Agreed. Grealish is capable of that too but was brought on too late imo, should have been on from around the 60th minute.

Still can’t get over that shoot-out. Saved first, saved from their best pen taker. Only needed 1 of 3 to stay in it. Sent the bairn up for the decider. Rashford’s goes in and I’m convinced we’d have done it mind.

Watching back the last two shoot-outs, not having Trippier around was a mistake I think. Nails the pressure pen after Henderson’s miss v Columbia. 

43 minutes ago, Wullie said:

I'm a bit haunted by that Foden injury. He was exactly what we needed in the late stages with his ability to pass forward and retain possession.

All of it's haunting me like. [emoji38] It feels like a match that had about 10x more 'ifs' than usual. 

13 minutes ago, Wullie said:

There's nowhere near enough smashing it down the middle anymore for me. Hardly see anyone do it now, especially in shootouts. 

100% this. Or even run up at slight angle, and slightly curl it straight down the middle. Keeper is always going to think, you are picking a side with a run up like that.

33 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Give it a few weeks and The Sun will be making them out to be scum for buying things for amounts in line with how much they earn.

57 minutes ago, Wullie said:

There's nowhere near enough smashing it down the middle anymore for me. Hardly see anyone do it now, especially in shootouts. 

Was shouting for Maguire to do that as I honestly didn't think he'd be capable of owt else (fair play for putting it top corner) and again for Saka. Surely Donnarumma would've committed to either side regardless?

1 minute ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Was shouting for Maguire to do that as I honestly didn't think he'd be capable of owt else (fair play for putting it top corner) and again for Saka. Surely Donnarumma would've committed to either side regardless?

Keepers go one side or the other, like 95% of the time. One Italian put it straight down the middle (Bernadeschi I think?), it's much better than just picking a side and hitting it halfway between keeper and post, at a savable height, like Sancho and Saka. If you're not confident of burying it in a corner, just play it safe and hit it central, with enough height and power that a trailing leg won't keep it out.

It’s a bit unsettling that all that was keeping a large portion of fans from acting like a bunch of racist cunts was actually winning the competition? Like they can abide having the “monkeys” in the team as long as there’s a trophy? It’s fucked 

Hello everybody!

A Newcastle fan from Italy here! 

Random thoughts on the final and on England team, from the other side. 

1.-After the goal by Luke Shaw, I realized that England wasn't going to win the match during regular time. With Wembley turned into a crazy bedlam, with Italy surprised by the goal, which came (also) from a mistake of the until-then much praised defense of Italy, with two columns of Italy (Barella and Jorginho) undertone......in short, with all the momentum of the match in its favor, England has done little......too little. 

2.-England's strength was forward, Italy's the defense. Italy's "forwards" Immobile and Insigne are terrible in my opinion: without experience, without personality, they weren't a true threat for England: the only dangerous one was the young Chiesa, but I think that England should have risked a little more on the first half in the attempt to round up the score.

3.-The second half was very bad for England. And this is surprising, considering the difference of international experience between the players of Italy and England. If we except the 'old block' from Juventus (Chiellini, the bast*** Bonucci), many players of Italy have little European experience. Belotti, for example, the one who missed the penalty, this SERIE A season struggled in order not to go backwards with Torino.