UEFA Euro 2020 Final: England 1 - 1 Italy (Italy win 3-2 on pens)

Disco

I'd really wanted England to lose but did not enjoy that the way it happened at all. Those lads missing, especially Rashford. Does Rashford even have a good pen record? Feel like I've seen him miss a few - looked like he was overthinking as soon as he stepped up. And Southgate's obviously done well, but putting such a young kid on the 5th pen?

Just now, jdckelly said:

odd Shaw didn't take one, surely he should have been confident enough to take one having scored and all 

I was saying to my missus before I thought he'd be in the first five. But I couldn't remember who had been subbed off at that point. I thought Sterling was subbed off because he wasn't in the five.

1 minute ago, Away Toon said:

Not with Southgate as manager. It will be under performing again, negative, defensive, dull.

Yeah because he's only gotten us to a World Cup semi final and Euros final in back to back tournaments. What utter guff.

Just now, Unbelievable said:

I missed the first 15 minutes in which you apparently dominated and stunned them, but the 105 minutes I did see in fairness Italy were the better side. Also loved them in other games. Versus Belgium they were fantastic. Think they’re deserved winners of the tournament all things considered…

first 30 minutes or so it looked a no contest tbh England were getting behind Italy consistently and the Italians could do nothing going forward. Half time changed that and Southgate didn't really respond 

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

At least Sancho and Saka picked their spots and hit the ball fairly well if not the best, and forced a save from Donnaruma.

Rashford over complicating things by waiting so long to try and bait Donnaruma and then send it into the other corner ... well I just didn't like it at all. Terrible miss.

Did Jenas say anything about it?

1 minute ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Furious, tbh. Attitude was all wrong 60mins+. I dont understand it. We had them.

Weak.

It's terrible man. Never felt they had the forwards to score against your defence.

And Kane was getting the better of their defenders consistently early on. Had to go more offensive sooner and finish them off. Played it too safe.

Just now, Jaqen said:

Rashford and Sancho clearly not sent on to take pens, not sure why people are saying they shouldn't have been allowed to take them? 

if your going to send them on give them more than 30 seconds running around maybe 5 minutes? 

Although the better manager and the more experienced side Italy showed up in the second half, this English team took them all the way down to the 50/50s of a penalty shootout.

I don't want to criticise any penalty takers, it really could have gone either way on another day.

So fair play to Italy. They are deserved winners of this game and tournament.

Well done Southgate and England for exceeding expectations. The team has grown and it looks miles better than the "golden generation", with a lot of time in the future to find itself winning something on another night like this.

Pens were shite and I won't point the finger at any of those who missed despite seeing the opposition miss twice and not take advantage of it but the 90 minutes was just shocking management. I worried that player for player us and Italy are very similar and it would be managerial nous that saw the winners through, and hey ho, it was Mancini, a man whose won trophies before.

2 minutes ago, 54 said:

Yeah because he's only gotten us to a World Cup semi final and Euros final in back to back tournaments. What utter guff.

I would say the argument that could be had is that we've had decent draws (Germany aside) and when it mattered we've failed. To make the extra step we need a better manager, thinks that's fairly clear like.

3 minutes ago, STM said:

Some aids opinions in here. Southgate was superb this tournament but penalty takers were wrong. 

They were all probably class pen takers in training. You still can't replicate the situation.