UEFA Euro 2020 Final: England 1 - 1 Italy (Italy win 3-2 on pens)

Disco

5 minutes ago, OoOGazOoO said:

It's a head scratcher as to why we let Italy send wave, after wave of attacks once we had scored. I was surprised we kept them out for so long but unfortunately, you knew that them equalising, was inevitable.

We had no outlet, we had all 11 men camped in our own half, and every time the ball got cleared, it came straight back. Really weird scenario/tactics, and we didn't change it, we just continued to let Italy pile the pressure on us.

Absolutely gutted because we have the talent to have finished the job in our favour tonight.

And then if you are sitting that deep why not bring on Rashford and Sancho with Sterling sooner to try and catch them on the counter?

They have two much older and slower centre backs in defence and they were pushed right up to their half way line during those moments they had the ball without a worry in the world.

Case of what could have and should have been for England after the perfect start for them. So so unfortunate.

Edited by KaKa

Just now, ManDoon said:

Sure but the violence is so OTT.

Apparently it was the gate crashers who were violent towards police and stewards to get in originally. Just a shit show all round and exactly why you don't watch England live.

Just now, Skeletor said:

Better team on the day but when you look at our attacking options, Southgate has a lot to answer for why we asked so few questions of their defence.

Sterling's great but Kane is overrated and we don't have much of a threat up front. Other than for a dodgy penalty decision, we might not have got to a final. 

Rashford, Henderson and to some extent Sancho (too late for Sancho to come on at least) were all the wrong subs. So so wrong. So obviously wrong. 

I don't understand our approach for much of the game tonight. The first 20 minutes we looked like we had their number but then we started holding back. The panic defending started in the first half under minimal pressure and when we held on to the ball we seemed happy to eventually lose it rather than test them. Was hugely safety-first when we had them rattled and as it turns out it was a massive missed opportunity. 

The second half was just dreadful all round and the trouble with trying to batten down the hatches and hang on to a goal you scored in the 2nd minute is that if you concede then you're fucked. You have zero attacking rhythm to build on and it's not possible to just switch that on when required. 

I was pleasantly surprised with the upturn in intensity in ET but it was too little too late and psychologically we'd given Italy a huge advantage by then by showing them far too much respect. We had them looking ordinary first half then absolutely invited them back into the game. The momentum was theirs because we handed it to them. 

I'm not going to criticise Southgate for the late subs as if those 2 were banging pens in in training then it's understandable to go with the knowledge you have. Same with Saka although having him 5th seems shortsighted. Tbh I think it's a waste of time hyper-analysing the penalties, we will have selected our best takers and practised them extensively and that's just the way it goes. One team has to lose.

But did we express ourselves anywhere near as well as we can during the 120 minutes, did we impose ourselves on the Italians or did we hand them the initiative? I think it's clearly the latter and that's the disappointment for me. There was a chance in the first half to build on an excellent start but we didn't back ourselves and thought winning ugly was the only way. A risk that didn't pay off. 

Euro 2020 was a success for us overall without a doubt but the performance tonight leaves a sour taste. A shame as this group of players have shown some real bravery in recent years, they just needed to back themselves tonight (players and manager) and in my view they didn't do that. 

5 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

It's one of those infuriating fouls, but it's not a red card.

It should be though. It wasn’t just obstructing a guy or stopping the attack, it was grabbing him by the neck and yanking him down. Really dangerous. 

Just now, ManDoon said:

I love Bonucci/Chi as much as the next guy, but they are 34/36. I think with a young attacking team and both of them on yellows we have to be putting them under more pressure. Lofting high balls to Kane to get beaten in the air was pointless

:thup: Completely agree with this. Their fullbacks are also their weakest points, players like Sancho and Grealish could've really changed the game. It's weird though, cause he's been cautious all tournament and then makes an absolute bold (moronic as well imo) decision to sub two young guys on last minute of the game for penalty kick and let them take it. 

Tough one to take, but very proud of Southgate and the lads for the tournament they had.

Ultimately I think Italy outclassed us for most of the game...it’s as simple as that. I don’t believe it was anyone’s fault in particular. We just came up against an extremely good team. Southgate may have made one or two questionable decisions today, but he’s been pretty much bang on with everything else this tournament so it’s hard to criticise.

Feel for the lads that missed the penalties but it’s just the luck of the draw.

Onwards and upwards.

1 minute ago, Pons Alias said:

Sterling's great but Kane is overrated and we don't have much of a threat up front. Other than for a dodgy penalty decision, we might not have got to a final. 

Kane was brilliant over the last four games, when we had players running on. 

Southgate has so much to be proud of this tournament, but his in-game management or lack of was exposed.

He did brilliantly to catch Italy cold. The wing backs too them by suprise and they look rattled for a good 15-20 minutes.

Mancini changed it up at half time. 'The false nine' dropped in and our midfield looked totally overran. Southgate had absolutely no answer. He stuck with a Plan A that was dead in the water.

Penalties are an awful way to lose, I did think it was an error having Saka take the fifth, but I think the senior players have to take as much flack as Southgate.

That said, its another step in the right direction and runners-up is nothing to be sniffed at. Southgate deserves so much credit for that. He certainly deserves a crack at the World Cup.

Tough to know what weight to attribute to his words immediately after the final, but it sounds like Southgate wanted England to keep a bit more possession in the second half - and not cede so much momentum - but it didn't happen for whatever reason.

Those are the building blocks which I thought England might have developed earlier in the tournament.

2 minutes ago, LV said:

Rashford, Henderson and to some extent Sancho (too late for Sancho to come on at least) were all the wrong subs. So so wrong. So obviously wrong. 

Why so obvious? It’s pretty easy to understand each of those subs. They were perhaps a little late but they were the right moves.

Just now, Beren said:

Tough to know what weight to attribute to his words immediately after the final, but it sounds like Southgate wanted England to keep a bit more possession in the second half - and not cede so much momentum - but it didn't happen for whatever reason.

Those are the building blocks which I thought England might have developed earlier in the tournament.

Where are you from btw Beren? Assumed you were English until this tournament

1 minute ago, Interpolic said:

I don't understand our approach for much of the game tonight. The first 20 minutes we looked like we had their number but then we started holding back. The panic defending started in the first half under minimal pressure and when we held on to the ball we seemed happy to eventually lose it rather than test them. Was hugely safety-first when we had them rattled and as it turns out it was a massive missed opportunity. 

The second half was just dreadful all round and the trouble with trying to batten down the hatches and hang on to a goal you scored in the 2nd minute is that if you concede then you're fucked. You have zero attacking rhythm to build on and it's not possible to just switch that on when required. 

I was pleasantly surprised with the upturn in intensity in ET but it was too little too late and psychologically we'd given Italy a huge advantage by then by showing them far too much respect. We had them looking ordinary first half then absolutely invited them back into the game. The momentum was theirs because we handed it to them. 

I'm not going to criticise Southgate for the late subs as if those 2 were banging pens in in training then it's understandable to go with the knowledge you have. Same with Saka although having him 5th seems shortsighted. Tbh I think it's a waste of time hyper-analysing the penalties, we will have selected our best takers and practised them extensively and that's just the way it goes. One team has to lose.

But did we express ourselves anywhere near as well as we can during the 120 minutes, did we impose ourselves on the Italians or did we hand them the initiative? I think it's clearly the latter and that's the disappointment for me. There was a chance in the first half to build on an excellent start but we didn't back ourselves and thought winning ugly was the only way. A risk that didn't pay off. 

Euro 2020 was a success for us overall without a doubt but the performance tonight leaves a sour taste. A shame as this group of players have shown some real bravery in recent years, they just needed to back themselves tonight (players and manager) and in my view they didn't do that. 

Tend to agree. A goal so early is really not worth as much as you think, you’ll always need a second.

When they were racking up yellow cards I don’t understand why he didn’t use Sancho to put them to the test a bit more. 

Even Calvert-Lewin for Kane might’ve added some mobility that would have rattled them. 

In the end we played into their hands. 

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It should be though. It wasn’t just obstructing a guy or stopping the attack, it was grabbing him by the neck and yanking him down. Really dangerous. 

Nah it's never a red. Although, how Jorginho wasn't sent off is another one. Thought the ref did well for most parts, let the game flow compared to if you watched Brazil v Argentina where the ref was stopping at every possible opportunity. But that stamp on Jack was as clear as a day. Can't believe it wasn't given by VAR. 

1 minute ago, Beren said:

I heard Matt Ritchie didn't pass on the info.

Just now, Shadow Puppets said:

Why so obvious? It’s pretty easy to understand each of those subs. They were perhaps a little late but they were the right moves.

Nah.

Don’t bother replying 

10 minutes ago, Pons Alias said:

There is a part of me that's weirdly relieved. So many people I really dislike would have been made even more unsufferable by an England win.

Yep. The likes of Johnson, farage et al leeching off that would’ve been sickening.

id love to have won it but now they can get what’s coming to them

Just now, triggs said:

Where are you from btw Beren? Assumed you were English until this tournament

Born and live in London, but don't really support an international team. (I loved Brazil when I was a kid mind you).