UEFA Euro 2020 Final: England 1 - 1 Italy (Italy win 3-2 on pens)

Disco

2 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Their social media have been sent racist emjois and messages. How are you defining England fans?

They have and the abuse is disgusting. There's no proof that people making these comments are even English, yet its England fans who will get the complete blame. I'm not saying its a 'stich up job' but its clearly not as cut and dry as some are suggesting. 

2 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Now England can experience it?? It's been an England trait in major tournament big games for as long as I can remember. We score very early, cede possession and eventually get done.

Croatia 2018 (Trippier after 5 mins)

Iceland 2016 (Rooney after 4 mins)

Portugal 2004 (Owen after 3 mins)

Brazil 2002 (Owen after 23 mins)

Argentina 1998 (Owen put us 2-1 up after 16 mins)

Germany 1996 (Shearer after 3 mins)

Mental :lol:  Still pulling the same shit as well.  Ffs.

1 hour ago, Lazarus said:

I also fell in love with football again.

This for me has been the key takeaway from the tournament. My Dad passed in March after a very aggressive and rare form of lung cancer took hold (5 weeks since diagnosis to passing), and he adored football. Lifelong Millwall fan, but followed everything. Compared to myself, who has been totally jaded for the last few years, all down to NUFC goings on. So this tournament, I made a huge effort to watch every game, knowing my Dad would have been. And I loved it.

As for last night, it's weird to feel so devastated after football again, but here we are. I'm disappointed Southgate was so defensive, and got tactically taken to school in the second half. He should have been braver, Grealish on sooner, as well as Sancho for Sterling, and who knows. Easy to say all this from my sofa :lol:

I blame Southgate. He had such a good and solid squad with lots of attacking threat.

Everything less than an semi final/final would have been failure.

In the end (or most of the tournament) he chose anti-football. Should England have won by parking the bus 60 min or so - it would have been depressing.

Italy deserved the win last night and for their approach throughout the tournament (from a neutral point of view)

England i feel for you - but you will come back even stronger at next years WC. 

I don’t get why people are criticising the other experienced players for not taking penalties. It’s the manager’s choice as he’s confirmed and the players clearly respect him. The whole “player power” stuff was seen as a problem years ago - they shouldn’t be overriding his decisions. Also as a man who has won the League Cup in a shootout and responded to the media brilliantly in recent years, I really doubt Sterling refused a penalty to throw a 19 year-old (who could conceivably also get racist abuse from morons) under the bus. 

4 minutes ago, St. Maximin said:

I don’t get why people are criticising the other experienced players for not taking penalties. It’s the manager’s choice as he’s confirmed and the players clearly respect him. The whole “player power” stuff was seen as a problem years ago - they shouldn’t be overriding his decisions. Also as a man who has won the League Cup in a shootout and responded to the media brilliantly in recent years, I really doubt Sterling refused a penalty to throw a 19 year-old (who could conceivably also get racist abuse from morons) under the bus. 

:thup:I've seen Raheem Sterling take plenty penalties and subsequently didn't want him anywhere near them, neither does Guardiola. Sancho has a good record for Dortmund.

16 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

Okay, so that's one you can possibly discount.

Loads of others including videos. If you want to believe this is some sort of stitch up job on innocent England fans, you crack on fella.

I can't even begin to tell you how disturbing it is that there is even one black person sending out those kind of tweets to stir up trouble. This world really needs to just end and quickly. 

1 minute ago, Wullie said:

I've seen Raheem Sterling take plenty penalties and subsequently didn't want him anywhere near them, neither does Guardiola. Sancho has a good record for Dortmund.

Yeah I didn’t think he was good, though I thought he’d take the last as I remembered him winning a shootout with one. Also thought Grealish has taken them for Villa also, but if they’re the best in training then I get why they were the five. Just seemed odd Saka was last. 

Taking a penalty in a major tournament final is just not something that can be compared to taking penalties in a normal situation. I don’t see how you’re supposed to “be better” at them in that situation.

Donnarumma is fucking huge man. Imagine stepping up and seeing him filling the goal. We should never have let it get to that point.

11 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Now England can experience it?? It's been an England trait in major tournament big games for as long as I can remember. We score very early, cede possession and eventually get done.

Croatia 2018 (Trippier after 5 mins)

Iceland 2016 (Rooney after 4 mins)

Portugal 2004 (Owen after 3 mins)

Brazil 2002 (Owen after 23 mins)

Argentina 1998 (Owen put us 2-1 up after 16 mins)

Germany 1996 (Shearer after 3 mins)

:thup: exactly what I meant when I said last night unfortunately reverted to a typical old school England performance. It's a shame because the magnitude of the position we were in didn't seem to dawn on the players until about half an hour in. 

It's weird isn't it? The same lads booing the knee will be the same ones sending racist abuse, fighting and carrying on at Wembley. It's all about Marxism though, Karl's socioeconomic analysis just doesn't sit well with them.

3 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Same fans that boo people for taking a knee aren’t racist in the slightest :lol:

Exactly.

I've been to quite a few England games and at every single one, I've hated the xenophobic jingosism and outright racism I've witnessed from a sizeable minority of fans. It's fucking toxic and one of the reasons I can never get behind the national team 100% in all honesty, although Southgate and the players have made me feel a sense of pride which I haven't felt for a long time. 

You still get nazi salutes, xenophobic and racist chanting, booing the knee and this general arrogance that we're better than other countries. I don't know why people are in anyway shocked or surprised that this manifests itself on social media.

We will never rid ourselves of this problem if we can't admit there is one.

1 hour ago, Rafalove said:

The absolute cheek of that dickhead. He’s about as smart as he looks. This England squad have taken us further than anyone in a tournament since 66, and these cunts, use failure at the very last hurdle as a stick to beat him and the good work he’s done, the morning after.

lower than a snakes belly.

Funny how "we know we need to do better" doesn't always cut the mustard. I mean by all means kill 150,000 people, but do better next time. Lost a football match? Hang em high.

There was a prevailing issue with the subs in the knockouts where Southgate was unwilling to take Sterling or Kane off, and also unwilling to to have anything less than 7 defence-minded players on the field. Arguably 8 or 9 defence-minded players when Saka and Mount seemed to be mainly in for their defensive discipline. 

That limits us massively in terms of who we can bring on, and meant last night we had Rashford and Sancho sat on the bench for ET instead of attacking tired Italian defenders. Contrast that with Italy who were willing to change their entire front 3. Sterling should have been off tbh as he was quiet all game and we weren't even keeping him on to take one of the pens. 

As far as the penalties are concerned I'm guessing they decide on the order beforehand and then just stick to it no matter what? If so, why don't teams just send their best and then more experienced players all first? I don't get it. 

You never want to end up in a situation where you end up knocked out with better penalty takers having never even stepped up ahead of younger kids etc. Even after Rashford and Sancho missed you were still in it. To then send Saka up next in that spot was crazy. Had to be Grealish to take that next one.

23 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

It's the "not all men" defence for racists presumably :lol:

It's not that at all. There are people who detest the England football team [likely due to the diversity] who will jump on this opportunity to spew their venom.

12 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

Exactly.

I've been to quite a few England games and at every single one, I've hated the xenophobic jingosism and outright racism I've witnessed from a sizeable minority of fans. It's fucking toxic and one of the reasons I can never get behind the national team 100% in all honesty, although Southgate and the players have made me feel a sense of pride which I haven't felt for a long time. 

You still get nazi salutes, xenophobic and racist chanting, booing the knee and this general arrogance that we're better than other countries. I don't know why people are in anyway shocked or surprised that this manifests itself on social media.

We will never rid ourselves of this problem if we can't admit there is one.

I don't disagree but it's not really anything to do with England (the team). It's been happening all season to black players in the PL every time they concede a throw in.

7 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

There was a prevailing issue with the subs in the knockouts where Southgate was unwilling to take Sterling or Kane off, and also unwilling to to have anything less than 7 defence-minded players on the field. Arguably 8 or 9 defence-minded players when Saka and Mount seemed to be mainly in for their defensive discipline. 

That limits us massively in terms of who we can bring on, and meant last night we had Rashford and Sancho sat on the bench for ET instead of attacking tired Italian defenders. Contrast that with Italy who were willing to change their entire front 3. Sterling should have been off tbh as he was quiet all game and we weren't even keeping him on to take one of the pens. 

Precisely. we had [probably] the best squad but didn't use them in the game. Italy, made changes that could have won them the game, we made changes to take penalties. Italy deserved it.

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Trying to change the rules instead of figuring out how to better manage penalties is so weak man :lol:

She’s Scottish, I wonder if she’s ever even seen her team in a shootout.

Didn't Grealish come out and say he wanted to take a penalty, and it was Southgate who decided on the order?

In which case, no criticism at all to Saka who was prepared to put his hand up and take one.

But there's only one person who was responsible for putting a 19 year old in for the final deciding penalty, which could either win you the whole thing, or mean you're knocked out and likely have to be reminded of that for the rest of your life.

No pressure either way, for sure.