UEFA Euro 2020 Final: England 1 - 1 Italy (Italy win 3-2 on pens)

Disco

4 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

She’s Scottish, I wonder if she’s ever even seen her team in a shootout.

Oh right. Even more strange that she'd come out suggesting that then :lol:

7 minutes ago, Wullie said:

I don't disagree but it's not really anything to do with England (the team). It's been happening all season to black players in the PL every time they concede a throw in.

It's much more prevalent at England games in my opinion. SJP used to be horrific back in the 70's/80's but can honestly say, witnessed very little of that sort of nonsesnse as an ST holder in the Milburn for 25 years. Not to say it didn't happen full stop.

4 minutes ago, Abacus said:

Didn't Grealish come out and say he wanted to take a penalty, and it was Southgate who decided on the order?

In which case, no criticism at all to Saka who was prepared to put his hand up and take one.

But there's only one person who was responsible for putting a 19 year old in for the final deciding penalty, which could either win you the whole thing, or mean you're knocked out and likely have to be reminded of that for the rest of your life.

No pressure either way, for sure.

Ah, interesting. So they do stick hard and fast to the agreed order. Having Saka ahead of Grealish is a strange one for me. Oh well.

Guest neesy111
2 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

Man that's tournaments in a row where you could hardly have picked a better draw or series of other results going your way and they didn't make it.  You have to take advantage of those things when they come along eh.

Maybe getting a tougher draw will help us be prepared for the later stages where you have to face a good side.

I get that penalties are a tough way to lose the game but it would have been a travesty if Italy didn't win based on the preceding 120 minutes. A bit like the Pirlo game in Euro 2012 in that regard

Just now, triggs said:

I get that penalties are a tough way to lose the game but it would have been a travesty if Italy didn't win based on the preceding 120 minutes. A bit like the Pirlo game in Euro 2012 in that regard

I thought Italy were absolutely awful in the first, what, 35 minutes? England were the better side in the first half by some distance.

Just now, Wullie said:

I thought Italy were absolutely awful in the first, what, 35 minutes? England were the better side in the first half by some distance.

First 20 definitely. Then England let them have the ball and retreated. England were comfortable in the first half though aye without showing much. From then until maybe the second half of extra time it was complete dominance

1 minute ago, triggs said:

Very true - it’s the tactical element where they were superior - to beat Belgium - Spain and England back to back is an oustanding achievement 

Personally think its prevalent at all levels, just more visible and sizeable at international level (and England aren't alone in that imo). The whole nationalistic element maybe adds something to it. Throw in flag wavers and those desperate to be still fighting battles long since fought and it just makes it more focused maybe.

Have seen nasty stuff at grass roots, junior and club level all over the place.

Agree that our place was getting way better than it was (late 70s/80s was toxic and organized), not been in years though (cheers fat Mike).

sad state of affairs' but there are still many who hate anything that isn't their norm or things that are different...fueled well by sections of the press and media (well done Mr. Murdoch you cnut)

3 minutes ago, triggs said:

First 20 definitely. Then England let them have the ball and retreated. England were comfortable in the first half though aye without showing much. From then until maybe the second half of extra time it was complete dominance

Aye the balance of power switched around the 20 min mark. Wished we had taken advantage of their early disarray, but at the ned of the half I thought we'd done well to restrict them. Needed a different approach second half though.

49 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

They have and the abuse is disgusting. There's no proof that people making these comments are even English, yet its England fans who will get the complete blame. I'm not saying its a 'stich up job' but its clearly not as cut and dry as some are suggesting.

1 minute ago, Wullie said:

They were dreadful, they still came back into the game throughout the first half, with England managing the threat posed very well.  I think they had two very good chances in the second half (one they scored from). Can see the appeal of trying to grind out 45 minutes but Plan A stopped really working after about 25 minutes. Would have liked to have seen Sancho brought on, particularly when Chiesa went off, there was a real opportunity there to seize the initative. 

Really hard to assess it, because whilst the game itself was managed poorly, we lost on penalties. Italy had few clear-cut good chances for all their possession. Stone's was a few centimetres away from nicking it in extra time. :dontknow:

The balance of the team is just out for me a little bit too defensive at the expense of attack. Would like to see Foden in the middle with Mount and one of Rice/Phillips.  If we're going to play a front 3 against good footballing teams we probably need a striker more mobile than Kane...

37 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

It's much more prevalent at England games in my opinion. SJP used to be horrific back in the 70's/80's but can honestly say, witnessed very little of that sort of nonsesnse as an ST holder in the Milburn for 25 years. Not to say it didn't happen full stop.

Yeah I have had 2 different season tickets, both over multiple years at SJP, as well as going to many one off games. Overall I have been to hundreds of NUFC games, and some non NUFC games.

In a stadium I can honestly say that I have never heard racist chanting or behaviour.

Go into a pub during a game though and it’s fucking rife.

This leads me to believe that it certainly is the clangers on who say they support their team/country as the ones are using it as a mask for their racist and other aggressive behaviour. Even when hooliganism was present in the 70’s & 80’s, many of them are now coming out and saying they never cared for the football and went for the fights, and to ‘defend’ their own backyard.

Fuck calling these people fans, call them what they are, cunts. The met police have down well today to do just that.

Edited by Stifler

There were a coupe of times Maguire was looking for a forward pass with nobody making any runs, similarly when Rice went on his mazy dribbles he ended up with nobody in front of him. The front 3 were pretty disappointing in that respect. I do think picking Mount was a mistake, but the whole front 3 let the team down in that respect.