UEFA Euro 2020 Final: England 1 - 1 Italy (Italy win 3-2 on pens)

8 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Bellingham, Sancho, Foden and Saka are the future. It's exciting times really.

should have been a bit more in the present tbh. 

8 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Bellingham, Sancho, Foden and Saka are the future. It's exciting times really.

should have been a bit more in the present tbh. 

I'd have backed Pickford to score his as well tbh.  I don't think Saka has ever taken a pen in his senior career. If you go with the thinking this is the manager's pick, and no people volunteering only, its crazyy.

2 minutes ago, triggs said:

Thread

Thanks for that, interesting. Players in Saka's position of needing to score to stay in it only score 62% of the time, wow.

When I saw Italy were kicking first I feared the worst. That clearly gives teams a huge psychological advantage. FIFA/UEFA seem intent on messing with many of football's rules the last few years, so for them to abandon the ABBA system so early is quite perplexing. The current setup for penalty shootouts is still a pretty big problem that needs to be addressed. 

1 minute ago, Interpolic said:

When I saw Italy were kicking first I feared the worst. That clearly gives teams a huge psychological advantage. FIFA/UEFA seem intent on messing with many of football's rules the last few years, so for them to abandon the ABBA system so early is quite perplexing. The current setup for penalty shootouts is still a pretty big problem that needs to be addressed. 

Win the toss.

I didn't read the whole study, but wouldn't average age of defenders be older, so defenders (low shooting skill) would skew the data, as the younger players would naturally skew attacking (higher shooting ability).

Edited by ManDoon

The more I think about it, the more angry I am. Our big strength was our bench. We had options. Italy were playing their THIRD extra time in 4 games. Rashford, Sancho, Grealish all should have been on after 75 mins at the latest. Direct running at their defence.

Basically Southgate bottled taking off Sterling and Mount. 

4 minutes ago, samptime29 said:

The more I think about it, the more angry I am. Our big strength was our bench. We had options. Italy were playing their THIRD extra time in 4 games. Rashford, Sancho, Grealish all should have been on after 75 mins at the latest. Direct running at their defence.

Basically Southgate bottled taking off Sterling and Mount. 

100 percent. Young, fast, fit team, against aging tired centre backs. Switch it up and get at them. You could tell they didn't like Grealish being on the ball at all, considering they fouled him straight away and nearly crippled him. We should have been changing it about 60mins when it was clearly going against us. It's tiresome i guess to constantly drum up grealish but in a game where you are getting overran you need someone who can actually hang onto the ball, win a free kick, break up the tide against you. Mount was shocking the whole game, and terrible for the goal. Getting beat by a half fit verratti to a header ffs

Edited by ManDoon

48 minutes ago, Flip said:

Obviously Italy were the better side, but it's not like you were convinced that they were going to win it. Apart from Chiesa the other ones weren't creating anything. They fully deserved to win and controlled the game, but I really thought England were going to hold on. Immobile has been such a disappointing player. Doesn't do anything for me. 

Even when Italy were 1-0 down I still thought they would equalise, they were starting to control the game in the latter part of the second half. I never felt at any time that England would win the final. Even when Italy missed the first pen I sort of knew we'd miss as well. 

Let's just scrap penalties and have a sequence of 10-minute extra times with a player removed for each one (10 vs 10, 9 vs 9, 8 vs 8........ keeper vs keeper)

That'd be fun :lol:

The one positive is that those racist morons, bottle-throwers and ticketless fans who stampeded through security didn’t get to celebrate a win. It’s hard to criticise Southgate considering he united a nation and didn’t even lose the final. But there is definitely some questionable decisions to investigate when the nation has sobered up.

Southgate has got us to a semi final and final. He deserves the chance to manage us at next world cup. But he needs to be more reactive with his subs. I have no problem with us being defensive at times but you can't play like that ALL the time. Circumstances change in games. Last night, a perfect example. We will see if he has learned that in time.

I think you can look at it two ways, he's either done really well getting us to a semi, and to a final. Or he's blown two of our easiest runs, and best chances to win something suffering the same issues both times at the final hurdle.

9 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I think you can look at it two ways, he's either done really well getting us to a semi, and to a final. Or he's blown two of our easiest runs, and best chances to win something suffering the same issues both times at the final hurdle.

I can't help but feel that as far as the football side of things are concerned that he's done ok but no more than that. As you say the draws for both the WC and Euros were very favourable to us. In the WC especially given the draw the semi final is the very least we would have been expected to reach. That was probably as perfect a draw as you could ask for.

we've had a world cup and a euros where we've missed the big boys and had a real chance of winning both - moreso these euros as france were on a different level to us in 2018. 

1 hour ago, Wullie said:

Purely in terms of penalties, it's a pity Trippier and Mount were off. I'd absolutely bank on Trippier.

Missed 1 out of 1 for Atletico.  I was there. :(

29 minutes ago, samptime29 said:

Southgate has got us to a semi final and final. He deserves the chance to manage us at next world cup. But he needs to be more reactive with his subs. I have no problem with us being defensive at times but you can't play like that ALL the time. Circumstances change in games. Last night, a perfect example. We will see if he has learned that in time.

He needed to get players like Foden and Grealish into the games much earlier. Yes we were defensively solid, but when you've got players like that, they need to be in there to give the team some attacking flair as well. 

While we had more impact players as far as goals are concerned, Italians had better control of the game just because they were prepared to pass and move more.