PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

Just now, Toon No9 said:

Haven't read the last few pages in this thread because I just get lost when I try to do...

Can anyone fill me in what's happening:

1. Will there be any result of the CAT-case made in public, and if so what's the timescale for that?

2. And what's the next step?

3. What's this all leaning towards, takeover or no takeover?

1. Yes, probably by the end of the month, although that's only the decision on whether the CAT has jurisdiction to hear the case.

2. The next step in the CAT case, unless it's thrown out or delayed, is the PL's submission of its defence, then a public case management meeting.

But that almost certainly wouldn't be before the arbitration in January.

3. Dunno, it probably probadepends depends what happends where we are in January and whether PIF are actually waiting in the wings.

Good move and long overdue. Point remains that arbitration is about separation between PIF and state (so state directors wouldn't have to submit to the O+D if separation is proven). Sentiment here is perfect imo

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-10-06/saudi-arabia-said-close-to-lifting-broadcast-ban-on-qatar-s-bein

Saudi Arabia is close to formally lifting a ban on Qatari sports broadcaster BeIn Media Group, potentially removing a major obstacle to the kingdom’s pursuit of U.K. soccer team Newcastle United FC, according to a person familiar with the matter.

A decision could come as soon as the coming weeks, allowing BeIn to formally resume broadcasting its sports content in the kingdom, the person said, asking not to be identified discussing confidential information. Talks are ongoing and could still fall apart, they said.

Any move to lift the ban would ease a possible takeover of Newcastle United by an investor group led by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund.

BeIN has been a major opponent of such a deal, arguing to the U.K. Premier League clubs that the ban in Saudi and alleged piracy of its content in the region was doing massive damage to sports rights holders.

The PIF group, which also included English financier Amanda Staveley and the British billionaire brothers Simon and David Reuben, abandoned a proposed 300 million-pound ($407 million) takeover of Newcastle United in July 2020, blaming the decision on a prolonged approval process and the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic. 

BeIn would no longer object to a takeover if the ban in Saudi is lifted, the person said. Representatives for BeIn, the PIF and the Premier League couldn’t immediately be reached for comment. 

Newcastle United is one of the best-supported teams in England and regularly draws crowds of more than 50,000 to its stadium in the northeast of the country. Fans of the club, who have become disillusioned by perceived mismanagement under billionaire owner Mike Ashley, have hoped for a new owner to invest in players and make the team more competitive. Newcastle United has not won a major trophy for more than 50 years.

19 minutes ago, nbthree3 said:

Good move and long overdue. Point remains that arbitration is about separation between PIF and state (so state directors wouldn't have to submit to the O+D if separation is proven). Sentiment here is perfect imo

"Feels significant" is the new "Wait" 

19 minutes ago, BennyBlanco said:

Might have made a difference a year ago. Premier league are too entrenched now, IMO, to back down. They’ll make themselves look an even bigger shower of cunts.

If Qatar/BeIn are no longer kicking up a stink then I don't see what reason the PL would have to choose stubbornness over a £300m+ investment in their product. 

The thing I've always thought with this whole saga - and one reason why I've always retained some optimism - is that there is a scenario here where everybody wins. The Saudis, Qatar, BeIn, Mike Ashley, NUFC all profit from this transaction if the stars can align for each stakeholder. 

I saw that plane spotting thread, also claims that Ashley's chopper (oo-er missus) flew up here this morning.

Total guesswork, and speculation, but would be nice if the consortium (or at least the uk based element) has requested a meeting with Ashley regarding the manager and the teams position, on the back of the NUST survey result gaining traction/media publicity, and particularly with the arbitration dates now public and a definite date for a resolution one way or another.

Should it go our/the clubs way, then the last thing they'll want is to be faced with buying a club which could be deep, deep in a relegation fight by then, simply because Ashley won't act.

Then again, its probably all just Twitter bollocks and nowt is happening.

Edited by TK-421

I'd imagine these people are too busy to all board a plane just to have a meeting with Mike about Steve Bruce's efforts tbh.

Sure the only time all of these people get on a plane to Newcastle is when they have purchased us, otherwise it's noise and Twitter bullshit (lies on twitter, I never!)

Edited by NE27

3 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

I remember being told by certain posters (not mentioning them) that the piracy issue had nothing to do with this. It was all about the C A R T E L and top 6 corruption. Surely this means nothing if that's the case O0

I’ll bet there’s a little concern in the boardrooms of the so called top 6 if this is significant.

I think this is a significant step forward.  Piracy halted, SA open to Bein broadcasting and for the first we've heard a 1B arb case settled.

Yeah, the way is being opened.

This could also be a way for the PL to relent.  "One of our major broadcast partners have settled with KSA.  This was a major issue in our decision to not approve the sale."