PIF and RB Sports & Media - Darren Eales to step down from CEO after being diagnosed with blood cancer.

Yorkie

Freddie Fletcher "the sales of shirts have just been phenomonal. We broke the £8million record Christmas week and that was for the two strips that were launched on the first of May, which is just phenomonal"

Edited by Wolfcastle

6 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Freddie Fletcher "the sales of shirts have just been phenomonal. We broke the £8million record Christmas week and that was first the two strips that were launched on the first of May, which is just phenomonal"

He played them and Adidas brilliantly, Asics were desperate to renew their short-term deal after mega sales, but Adidas was waiting in the wings and Fletcher said if you want in you have to more than better their figures. Adidas went on to do several other deals with the club outside of just the kits. They paid for some of Shearer for example.

Edited by HTT II

7 minutes ago, TRon said:

Barry Venison always sticks in my mind, we bought him for about 250k quite early on during KK's reign, then sold him for three times as much a few years later despite him being about 30 iirc. When you are successful, even the players you don't want seem to go up in value. 

Think Kitson is the only one we didn't make money on that Keegan bought and sold. (Sellars, Guppy evens)

Even most that were sold afterwards Ginola, Ferdinand, Batty, Gillespie, Tino were either evens or a profit.

Edited by Wolfcastle

2 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

We ran a car at Le Mans.

We had a sporting empire, that didn’t last long…

Edited by HTT II

3 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Think Kitson is the only one we didn't make money on that Keegan bought and sold. (Sellars, Guppy evens)

Even most that were sold afterwards Ginola, Ferdinand, Batty, Gillespie, Tino were either evens or a profit.

We made a 50k profit on Kitson… he was vastly underrated IMO, and I wanted him to do so well for us badly. We were looking at any top young talent home or abroad at the time!

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

We had a sporting empire, that didn’t last long…

SJH over-reaching. Didn't sit too well at the time though I still trusted them. Think that regime was just so driven they had to always be doing something.

5 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

We ran a car at Le Mans.

I’m sure it was paraded on Dean Street a few times, just remember huge crowds for a car for some reason back in those days…

3 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

SJH over-reaching. Didn't sit too well at the time though I still trusted them. Think that regime was just so driven they had to always be doing something.

Aye, it didn’t quite work out and it was a very ambitious project, but it didn’t harm the club as our name become synonymous with motorsport, rugby, basketball etc.

Edited by HTT II

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

We made a 50k profit on Kitson… he was vastly underrated IMO, and I wanted him to do so well for us badly. We were looking at any top young talent home or abroad at the time!

He got a raw deal and a lot of pressure being seen as the Cole replacement when he wasn't that kind of forward and then having Beardsley, Ferdinand, Shearer and Tino to fight for a place against. He had a cleverness about him that you thought could plug in well to our style.

Launch a streaming service for Saudi, monthly fee like Netflix or whatever. Have a team creating content for them so it looks legit.

Saudi has a population of nearly 35m, say we have 2 million “subscribers” for around 20 quid a month, rolling annual contract. That’s 480m income a year.

Whatever would be on our shirt would be irrelevant. Would also have no need to rename the stadium.

43 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I’m sure it was paraded on Dean Street a few times, just remember huge crowds for a car for some reason back in those days…

The Lister Storm

https://www.whoateallthepies.tv/newcastle_utd/279583/retro-football-newcastle-united-launch-their-own-le-mans-racing-car-team-1996-photos-video.html

Edited by gjohnson

17 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Wasn't Hall after the Eagles and Falcons as well at some point? Have all 3 Newcastle Clubs together?

He ended the Durham Wasps ice hockey team, who were very successful until he bought them, they didn’t last long.

21 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Wasn't Hall after the Eagles and Falcons as well at some point? Have all 3 Newcastle Clubs together?

He started the ‘Falcons’ brand. 

Probably helped start the downfall of grassroots rugby tbh. 

Great reading the stories about our progression under the 90’s most of which I wasn’t aware of. Does anyone have any proof of any of this? Just when people say we “outsold Liverpool”, it seems unbelievable to be honest. Any non Newcastle fan reading this would think we’ve gone full rtg.

Edited by Rafalove

That mid 90s era was such a wild ride. I was about 14 or 15 at the time and wish I was a little older to appreciate it more but I have so many great memories. It felt like we were on top of the world, the pride we had in the team, our city, our region; it was immense. Everywhere you went in the country, once people got a hint of the accent, they all wanted to talk about the football and how much they loved watching us and how amazing the fans were. It made you feel ten foot tall. 

3 hours ago, HTT II said:

Aye our whole street and neighbouring streets (except us because we were tramps), no-one employed, all suddenly had Sats on their house walls. The growth of NUFC and SKY is tied together from the early 90s. Or rather the product that is the PL today. We were Box office, even at the cinema!

Yep. For those that didn’t get the reference the club pioneered beam backs for 3pm KO’s due to demand for away games with the help of NTL who became our sponsors for a bit. Initially held at the club but increased in size to the local Odeon cinema also. The lockout derby was beamed back to a sold out Arena even and atmosphere was legendary according to family (I actually was inside Roker Park for the game) 

11 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

That mid 90s era was such a wild ride. I was about 14 or 15 at the time and wish I was a little older to appreciate it more but I have so many great memories. It felt like we were on top of the world, the pride we had in the team, our city, our region; it was immense. Everywhere you went in the country, once people got a hint of the accent, they all wanted to talk about the football and how much they loved watching us and how amazing the fans were. It made you feel ten foot tall. 

Everywhere in the world TBH. 

Remember the cinema screenings as well, class stuff. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo