PIF and RB Sports & Media - Darren Eales to step down from CEO after being diagnosed with blood cancer.

Yorkie

1 hour ago, Jackie Broon said:

It's not their choice the blackout is imposed by the FA and UEFA, I think they're only proposing to shift around schedules to allow them to take advantage of existing allowances for showing matches at 3pm.

It’s a voluntary rule, UEFA allow the rule to happen and enforce if broadcasters go against it, but the football leagues and/or FA can ask to reverse it.

The proposal is to scrap to rule and make every game open for broadcast, they want to appeal to Apple, Amazon, and Netflix, and to do a universal deal.

1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Mental that it's taken this long to start discussing it properly, should have been a thing 10 years ago.

Yes but was the infrastructure there 10 years ago for global streaming of live PL, it is now given the rapid rise of FTTP and cable ultrafast coverage.

6 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Mental that it's taken this long to start discussing it properly, should have been a thing 10 years ago.

Aye. Sorry to say it but if I want to watch a Newcastle match then you’re doing that. You are either going to the match, watching on IPTV/pub, or sitting at home watching the scores on SSN. You aren’t going to go and see Hartlepool in League Two, or North Shields in the Northern League instead.

If you don’t scrap the rule, sooner or later the Premier League will just change the KO times of every game away from Saturday at 3pm, then you’ll get the EFL doing that themselves.

Edited by Stifler

Just now, GideonShandy said:

With Bournemouth (home ground capacity 11,364) just being sold for £150 million, you'd think PIF would be feeling pleased with themselves for having bought us at only £305 million.

An absolute steal tbf.

15 minutes ago, Stifler said:

It’s a voluntary rule, UEFA allow the rule to happen and enforce if broadcasters go against it, but the football leagues and/or FA can ask to reverse it.

The proposal is to scrap to rule and make every game open for broadcast, they want to appeal to Apple, Amazon, and Netflix, and to do a universal deal.

From what I can tell there's no confirmation of what the proposal is yet, it's just an idea being floated that is a long way from being more than that. Apparently one current way to achieve it would be to move the schedule around so that less than 50% of the games kick off on Saturday at 3pm which would allow them to get around the rule. To actually scrap the rule they'd need the agreement of the FA, who would then have to apply to UEFA to opt out of it. There's likely to be lots of opposition to it changing from clubs lower down the pyramid and so there's no guarantee that the EFL would be allowed to. 

59 minutes ago, SEMTEX said:

It's still wildly annoying that I have to bounce between Peacock / TV (Sling in my instance) to find a game. Just let them all play in the Peacock app, I beg of you my evil Comcast overlords. Even if I have to register my Sling subscription to show I have USA Network.

I’m a YouTube TV guy like Kanji. But my Peacock app has every match as far as I know? I could just watch it all through there. Although I prefer when the match is on USA where there is slightly less of a delay. 

30 minutes ago, Ameritoon said:

This is the thing I hate, besides Peacock being shit. You should be able to get every match if you have a cable sub or every match if you just stream, not have to have both.

Whatever our situation is, it sounds wildly better than over there. :lol: 

8 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

From what I can tell there's no confirmation of what the proposal is yet, it's just an idea being floated that is a long way from being more than that. Apparently one current way to achieve it would be to move the schedule around so that less than 50% of the games kick off on Saturday at 3pm which would allow them to get around the rule. To actually scrap the rule they'd need the agreement of the FA, who would then have to apply to UEFA to opt out of it. There's likely to be lots of opposition to it changing from clubs lower down the pyramid and so there's no guarantee that the EFL would be allowed to. 

The thing is the EFL will only listen its own members. If they can sell all matches at 3pm as a global package for say £400m per year over the estimated £180m per year they get now, then they’ll do it. It also opens up the possibility of the Premier League doing their own deal with streaming providers and almost doubling their income to about £10bn a year, of which the EFL itself gets a share.

There has already been talk of the National League broadcasting games and I believe they have done some sort of trial on YouTube or are wanting to. All of a sudden you then have all the way down to steps 5/6 all broadcasting their games.

It will happen, it’s just a question of if they are going to have to use loopholes 1st to get there or not.

Edited by Stifler

3 hours ago, cubaricho said:

We already have every PL match live. We’re good. Sort yourselves out. :lol: 

Remember that 18 months where there was no peacock and every every game was on TV, man. Golden days.

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

Remember that 18 months where there was no peacock and every every game was on TV, man. Golden days.

Then they took it away and charged us more for the privilege of streaming it  :lol: 

9 minutes ago, Stifler said:

The thing is the EFL will only listen its own members. If they can sell all matches at 3pm as a global package for say £400m per year over the estimated £180m per year they get now, then they’ll do it. It also opens up the possibility of the Premier League doing their own deal with streaming providers and almost doubling their income to about £10bn a year, of which the EFL itself gets a share.

There has already been talk of the National League broadcasting games and I believe they have done some sort of trial on YouTube or are wanting to. All of a sudden you then have all the way down to steps 5/6 all broadcasting their games.

It will happen, it’s just a question of if they are going to have to use loopholes 1st to get there or not.

Maybe, but the EFL still have to get the FA to agree. If it does happen and the PL follow suit it'll be terrible for the EFL in the long term.

Just now, bobloblaw said:

It was an NFL rule, but has been dropped every year since 2014.

I lived through that. I still recall listening to a Vikings-Lions game on the radio in my bedroom in the mid 70's because it was blacked out. Local companies used to buy up remaining tickets and distribute them to charity so the games could be broadcast.

1 minute ago, McDog said:

I lived through that. I still recall listening to a Vikings-Lions game on the radio in my bedroom in the mid 70's because it was blacked out. Local companies used to buy up remaining tickets and distribute them to charity so the games could be broadcast.

I'm only 34, but remember missing out on a few Packers/Vikings games as a kid.

Used to happen to the Lions at the end of the season all the time when I was kid. I usually liked it because it meant I couldn't force myself to watch a shitty game.

Then I went to college just out of the blackout zone and watched them go 0-16 :lol:

58 minutes ago, CFlan said:

I definitely remember seeing it on the TV guide as I was scrolling but maybe that was some sort of Network v Local TV deal ?

You might have seen something along the lines of being in like Colorado but not being able to watch the main network (CBS, FOX, NBC) broadcast for the Patriots because the Broncos get local precedent. They still do that for sure. But you can watch every game with the NFL package now. 

The straight up blackout rule (for our English brothers, there had to be a certain % of tickets sold for it to be broadcast) went away a bit ago. 

Edited by cubaricho

2 hours ago, Stifler said:

Aye. Sorry to say it but if I want to watch a Newcastle match then you’re doing that. You are either going to the match, watching on IPTV/pub, or sitting at home watching the scores on SSN. You aren’t going to go and see Hartlepool in League Two, or North Shields in the Northern League instead.

If you don’t scrap the rule, sooner or later the Premier League will just change the KO times of every game away from Saturday at 3pm, then you’ll get the EFL doing that themselves.

Whilst that is true for you and myself (since I don't go to lower league matches nor have any intention of doing so) that won't be the case for all

Removing the 3pm blackout seems inevitable but I recognise that it could impact lower league attendances up and down the country, and for that reason I understand why it's in place and a part of me wants it to remain that way