PIF and RB Sports & Media - Darren Eales to step down from CEO after being diagnosed with blood cancer.

Yorkie

16 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It isn’t the magic bullet that most seem to be assuming it is.  ‘Fair market value’ rules for sponsorship will remain in place

So what's the benefit of City taking this to arbitration? 

My understanding was that related-party transactions were already assessed for FMV, so the Saudi's couldn't just stick "PIF" on our training kit and say its a £50m/year deal. The changes made in December 2021 extended that rule to associated parties (worth over £1m). So what's the difference? 

1 minute ago, FloydianMag said:

They were attempting to prevent us from getting increased numbers of sponsors from PIG companies and the wider Gulf area, if City win they can no longer do that.

We already can do that; it is the value of the sponsorships that cause the issue.

UEFA’s rules re FMV also cause a problem, too - the PL could remove all the shackles and the clubs would still need to abide by UEFA’s rules  

9 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

We already can do that; it is the value of the sponsorships that cause the issue.

UEFA’s rules re FMV also cause a problem, too - the PL could remove all the shackles and the clubs would still need to abide by UEFA’s rules  

Aye but UEFA seem more likely to hammer you with fines and not point deductions. 

3 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

So what's the benefit of City taking this to arbitration? 

My understanding was that related-party transactions were already assessed for FMV, so the Saudi's couldn't just stick "PIF" on our training kit and say its a £50m/year deal. The changes made in December 2021 extended that rule to associated parties (worth over £1m). So what's the difference? 

Related party transactions used to have to be declared by the clubs in their accounts (Man City didn’t declare Etihad, for example).  The rule change introduced for us was that they have to be signed off by the PL before agreement is finalised.

Man City weren’t even going after this change - they’re going after the change from earlier this year, which changed the burden of proof from the PL to the clubs themselves - so Man City would now have to prove that the deals were ‘FMV’ or face potential sanctions, rather than the PL simply blocking.

There’s nothing to suggest that rule book is about to be overturned. 

That burden of proof being on the club is a pain though. Like I don't even know if we get the SELA deal through under these rules. 

I'm not even trying to guess what might change if City are successful though because, in theory, multiple layers could get peeled back. If the PL wins it will be pretty depressing as no one else is either big enough or interested enough to challenge anything.

Just now, timeEd32 said:

That burden of proof being on the club is a pain though. Like I don't even know if we get the SELA deal through under these rules. 

I'm not even trying to guess what might change if City are successful though because, in theory, multiple layers could get peeled back. If the PL wins it will be pretty depressing as no one else is either big enough or interested enough to challenge anything.

1,000 companies expressed an interest in becoming our front of shirt sponsor. 800 followed it up with further talks.

100 companies made an offer, that was whittled down to the highest offers, that was whittled down to 3, which were of equal value, SELA was chosen because they wanted to partner with us on various projects, where as the others just wanted to pay money.

There were thumbs up outside London’s International Dispute Resolution Centre last week from the senior clerk of the Blackstone legal chambers whose vastly remunerated KC, Lord Pannick, is leading the club’s case. And yes, Pep Guardiola is right — many clubs are salivating at the thought of City losing. Printed, in black and white, in the 93-page report of City’s last legal hearing, is the list of nine clubs who lodged demands that the club be allowed no stay of execution if convicted: Arsenal, Burnley, Chelsea, Leicester City, Liverpool, Manchester United, Newcastle, Tottenham and Wolves.

1 minute ago, vic said:

There were thumbs up outside London’s International Dispute Resolution Centre last week from the senior clerk of the Blackstone legal chambers whose vastly remunerated KC, Lord Pannick, is leading the club’s case. And yes, Pep Guardiola is right — many clubs are salivating at the thought of City losing. Printed, in black and white, in the 93-page report of City’s last legal hearing, is the list of nine clubs who lodged demands that the club be allowed no stay of execution if convicted: Arsenal, Burnley, Chelsea, Leicester City, Liverpool, Manchester United, Newcastle, Tottenham and Wolves.

Why the fuck would we sign that?

12 minutes ago, vic said:

Burnley…………they’re in the Championship!!

1 hour ago, Stifler said:

Why the fuck would we sign that?

Because we’re complying with the rules - and they’ve been accused of some serious breaches?

Those running PIF would need to be dumber than a bag of bricks if they bought the club completely unaware of the rules and regs; and the Man City breaches were already public at that point

What I don't get it why no movement on a new training ground - ours is way behind.  PSR has zero impact on preventing PIF to invest in a new state of the art ground.  That alone would have a huge impact on attracting the best players (Current / Future).

1 minute ago, duo said:

What I don't get it why no movement on a new training ground - ours is way behind.  PSR has zero impact on preventing PIF to invest in a new state of the art ground.  That alone would have a huge impact on attracting the best players (Current / Future).

Man City’s facilities cost £200m.  Our tart up of the current facilities would likely be 1%.

It is one solution to the question. 

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Man City’s facilities cost £200m.  Our tart up of the current facilities would likely be 1%.

It is one solution to the question. 

A new Training Ground for me is a no brainer if PIF really wanted to show they meant business.  Yes they have spent about £300mil on players but I read Newcastle is currently worth £1Billion - so they've already doubled their investment.

Just now, duo said:

A new Training Ground for me is a no brainer if PIF really wanted to show they meant business.  Yes they have spent about £300mil on players but I read Newcastle is currently worth £1Billion - so they've already doubled their investment.

Agreed - and actions speak much louder than words.  So far, zilch.

We've spent over half a billion on transfers tbf - but that doesn't mean half a billlion has been invested.

1 minute ago, duo said:

It could be that one of the options they are considering, or the direction they've decided to take, is something like the Etihad campus so there can't be movement on a new training facility until they've finalised what they're doing about the stadium.

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Agreed - and actions speak much louder than words.  So far, zilch.

We've spent over half a billion on transfers tbf - but that doesn't mean half a billlion has been invested.

Their total investment so far is £305m purchase price and £392m injected via share allocations since, so £697m invested. Although probably technically more than that via associated party sponsorships.

4 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

Their total investment so far is £305m purchase price and £392m injected via share allocations since, so £697m invested. Although probably technically more than that via associated party sponsorships.

Think your sums are slightly out. You forgot the £1b to square up the piracy issue allowing them to buy the club [emoji38]

4 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Think your sums are slightly out. You forgot the £1b to square up the piracy issue allowing them to buy the club [emoji38]

Yeah, that small matter too. Doesn't really make much sense as an investment, even if there were someone actually willing to pay £1bn for us, which I seriously doubt given our PSR constraints. It just doesn't stack up that PIF see us as an investment for profit.