PIF and RB Sports & Media - Darren Eales to step down from CEO after being diagnosed with blood cancer.

Yorkie

Somewhat reassuring.  Reads like a lot of waffle at the same time. 

“There’s this tendency to concentrate on what is happening on the field with Newcastle and far fewer people look at what is happening off the field,” Simon Chadwick, an expert on Saudi Arabia and the Middle East, tells i.

Nothing of major substance has happened off the field though. 

And there’s still a jar between Howe’s expectations and what’s possible with the club aligning to PSR.  

Edited by The College Dropout

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

“There’s this tendency to concentrate on what is happening on the field with Newcastle and far fewer people look at what is happening off the field,” Simon Chadwick, an expert on Saudi Arabia and the Middle East, tells i.

Is that the expert who said no way that PIF would buy Newcastle 

9 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

And there’s still a jar between Howe’s expectations and what’s possible with the club aligning to PSR.  

Did you notice that bit where they specifically spelled out that buying the club was a serious investment and not a vanity project? The exact words which I used yesterday? That's not particularly reassuring IMO.

Ithink we were better off when it was a perceived vanity project, because I am of the opinion the Saudis would have spent shedloads to make us no 1. If they think the path to no 1 is barred by legislation, then it's perfectly understandable for them to revert to seeing it as an investment.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Some of that felt good, seems like the local press are sitting on something re: the stadium but can't hit print.

Hopefully Mitchell can unearth some instant gems from abroad that help us in Jan to get Europe under Eddie. 

1 hour ago, TRon said:

Did you notice that bit where they specifically spelled out that buying the club was a serious investment and not a vanity project? The exact words which I used yesterday? That's not particularly reassuring IMO.

Ithink we were better off when it was a perceived vanity project, because I am of the opinion the Saudis would have spent shedloads to make us no 1. If they think the path to no 1 is barred by legislation, then it's perfectly understandable for them to revert to seeing it as an investment.

Thats not a barrier to investing in infrastructure to me.  Give yourself a cheap loan, the value of the club increases and the next owner will continue to pay for it potentially. 

Liverpool and Spurs have some of the most money hungry owners. They’ve invested in the Stadium because it’s good for business. 

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Thats not a barrier to investing in infrastructure to me.  Give yourself a cheap loan, the value of the club increases and the next owner will continue to pay for it potentially. 

Liverpool and Spurs have some of the most money hungry owners. They’ve invested in the Stadium because it’s good for business. 

I also do not want them throwing money at something that then becomes a burden to the city or the club in the future. If they do it, do it right and do it correctly. It's generational stuff, if they do it. Nobody else as far as I can tell is going to come in and give Newcastle this type of transformational investment. 

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

A new stadium ?

Yes, fine with it of course. Just not something completely insane that actually is out of place for the whole thing. A proper diligence'd capacity, beautifully designed, etc.  Doesn't need some NEOM style futuristic shit :lol: 

Edited by Kanji

I was reassured too. Well, assuming the quotes are accurate.

If the goal really is to be "best in class" then fantastic. I'm happy to be patient while they make sure they've got all the right people in the right positions to achieve that. I'd back that strategy being more successful long-term than just hoying money at a quick-fix.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Why would it need to be a loan?  And a cheap one at that?  They either invest or they don’t.  The club doesn’t need to be landed with debt to do it - the value is added to the club’s value.  Interest payments are part of FFP - infrastructure costs are not. 

Besides, riba - usury - is forbidden in Sharia.  I wouldn’t expect our owners to start charging the club interest on a loan …

2 hours ago, TRon said:

I disagree tbh - I think this was always the intent, though I don’t doubt that without the restrictions it would have been quicker.  We’re an investment and always were - it’s why they bought NUFC and not MUFC.  They were never going to plough in piles of cash without thinking - KSA is a nation-state, not a rump city-state with vast natural resources like Abu Dhabi or even Qatar.  The only vanity projects PIF invest in are within KSA, for the direct benefit of KSA.  Hoying money at a remote part of the UK with no return on investment would simply be a waste of money for them. 

4 hours ago, Jack27 said:

I don’t know how to feel after reading this

“This is a real investment, not a vanity project,” a source close to PIF tells i emphatically.

Something I feel people have forgot

Edited by duo

“It is perhaps not the “winning lottery ticket” that former owner Mike Ashley told friends he believed a PIF takeover represented but few could dispute they have transformed Newcastle, injecting hundreds of millions to transform the academy, playing squad and club infrastructure.“

^ that about sums it all up. It will be a slow process, but we’ll be much better off for it in the long term since they’re building us up to be a sustainable football club operating at the top level.

I’ve said this before but every PIF project follows the same arc; “this will be the best x in the world”, delays , delays, restructuring ambitions due to the high costs of reaching said ambitions, delays, delays, finished project is good but a shadow of what was promised initially.

8 minutes ago, McCormick said:

I’ve said this before but every PIF project follows the same arc; “this will be the best x in the world”, delays , delays, restructuring ambitions due to the high costs of reaching said ambitions, delays, delays, finished project is good but a shadow of what was promised initially.

You’ve been saying this or a version of it from the start tbf. 

9 minutes ago, McCormick said:

I'm in the Middle East now so very interesting to see what people are gossiping about - haven't they cut back on NEOM too?

20 minutes ago, McCormick said:

prediction for us then?