PIF and RB Sports & Media - Darren Eales to step down from CEO after being diagnosed with blood cancer.

Yorkie

2 minutes ago, Gaztoon said:

It's in the best interest of some peoples health if PIF do sell us.. the constant living in fear of it is not good for the health.

We're such a neutortic fanbase (online at least) I don't think it matters who owns us tbh. We'll always fear the worst.

59 minutes ago, McCormick said:

I’ve said this before but every PIF project follows the same arc; “this will be the best x in the world”, delays , delays, restructuring ambitions due to the high costs of reaching said ambitions, delays, delays, finished project is good but a shadow of what was promised initially.

This project will depend on the quality of people we employ to key positions it seems.  

We really need Mitchell to excel, continue to incrementally increase sponsorships and the stadium decision is paramount.  

9 minutes ago, Kanji said:

prediction for us then?

I imagine It’ll take longer than we’d want for the bigger ticket items to get sorted but, while I don’t think we’ll get anywhere near the likes of Man City etc., we’ll end up being a much better outfit in the long run. If there’s one thing PIF do very well it’s hiring the best in class (*ahem) to manage their projects.

5 minutes ago, McCormick said:

I imagine It’ll take longer than we’d want for the bigger ticket items to get sorted but, while I don’t think we’ll get anywhere near the likes of Man City etc., we’ll end up being a much better outfit in the long run. If there’s one thing PIF do very well it’s hiring the best in class (*ahem) to manage their projects.

Compared to the Ashley years that’s a marked improvement. Somewhere along the way if we hit the right balance of staff (hopefully now and it all clicks) we can be targeting Europe each year and serving up some entertaining football along the way.

10 minutes ago, McCormick said:

I’m curious to see how this plays out, my big concern is how we actually get past the stagnation pitfalls which I feel is our biggest risk. 

We have to grow our revenue at a faster rate than the cartel clubs and dragging and delaying things will only make this harder. Going to be a lot of #wait in future from the looks of it. 

12 minutes ago, McCormick said:

I am overwhelmed by sadness. What’s the point?

I mean the Qataris have spent north a billion on PSG and ultimately the goal was CL trophy which they've failed to achieve. I think PIF have spent and hired reasonably whilst they've been our owners - if we didn't have the PSR shackles I think they would've gone all out. The middle east dick swinging competition is funny but also very childish.

Edited by Menace

25 minutes ago, McCormick said:

It's all we wanted but might've been nice without the Saudi baggage attached. Rightly or wrongly.

7 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I’m curious to see how this plays out, my big concern is how we actually get past the stagnation pitfalls which I feel is our biggest risk. 

We have to grow our revenue at a faster rate than the cartel clubs and dragging and delaying things will only make this harder. Going to be a lot of #wait in future from the looks of it. 

There's a huge risk of our squad quality regressing if we don't make Europe this season (which I think is probable). The need for a new training ground and large commercial deals is becoming urgent if we want to challenge for top 4 soon, otherwise it'll remain pretty much as last season for a good while.

Just now, Turnbull2000 said:

There's a huge risk of our squad quality regressing if we don't make Europe this season (which I think is probable). The need for a new training ground and large commercial deals is becoming urgent if we want to challenge for top 4 soon, otherwise it'll remain pretty much as last season for a good while.

This is pretty much where I am, if your budget is 50% of your rivals because of stupid FFP rules you can’t compete on a consistent basis and given how slowly we move we either aren’t aware of it OR we are ok with it. 

Either way, if we aren’t closing the financial gap we are falling further behind. So fingers crossed for city today and fingers crossed our owners are about what they claim to be. 

15 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Thats not a barrier to investing in infrastructure to me.  Give yourself a cheap loan, the value of the club increases and the next owner will continue to pay for it potentially. 

Liverpool and Spurs have some of the most money hungry owners. They’ve invested in the Stadium because it’s good for business. 

It depends on what you mean by investing in the stadium. The cost of building new stadiums has gone up exponentially since Spurs did it, I would imagine it would be billions now with the cost of raw materials and labour sky rocketing since then. Extending the stadium has been notoriously problematic even before Ashley's time. Do you have any figures worked out on how it would be good from an investors's perspective?

1 hour ago, Menace said:

I'm in the Middle East now so very interesting to see what people are gossiping about - haven't they cut back on NEOM too?

Neom, The Line, Qiddyia, Jeddah Airport, Jeddah uptown, downtown and corniche projects, Haramain railway line, Kingdom Tower, KAEC and I could go on. I’m just mentioning the newer ones too; it’s been this way for decades.

7 minutes ago, TRon said:

It depends on what you mean by investing in the stadium. The cost of building new stadiums has gone up exponentially since Spurs did it, I would imagine it would be billions now with the cost of raw materials and labour sky rocketing since then. Extending the stadium has been notoriously problematic even before Ashley's time. Do you have any figures worked out on how it would be good from an investors's perspective?

No don't know enough about construction. But generally speaking - if you want to maximise an football clubs value - you invest in the assets.

41 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Its a bit shit selling your soul to the Saudis just to be a club that finishes 3rd to 8th in the PL 

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

No don't know enough about construction. But generally speaking - if you want to maximise an football clubs value - you invest in the assets.

Not if the investment will cost an astronomical amount that would take decades to get a return on the capital invested. If it's purely an investment, then why wouldn't you put that money elsewhere which would see a far quicker ROIC?

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Not if the investment will cost an astronomical amount that would take decades to get a return on the capital invested. If it's purely an investment, then why wouldn't you put that money elsewhere which would see a far quicker ROIC?

The goal for such a venture wouldn’t an immediate increase of pnl it’s about increasing the value of the club as a whole. And yes it’s a gamble but we won’t be “number 1” with our current facilities. 

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

The goal for such a venture wouldn’t an immediate increase of pnl it’s about increasing the value of the club as a whole. And yes it’s a gamble but we won’t be “number 1” with our current facilities. 

I think that goes in tandem with being able to put out a trophy winning side on the pitch though. If you can do that, then you know that you can fill the new stadium - which would have to match the cartel clubs for income potential wrt corporate boxes, seat capacity, and other revenue streams which a potentially larger stadium would bring.

I'm assuming that's why there has not been faster progress on that front - not to mention there will be resistance to moving the stadium out of the city if there is nowhere available within the city perimiter.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

This is the point you're missing. A new stadium increases the value of the club on day 1 of it opening. So it doesn't need to pay you back in cash. When you sell the club, you sell the value of that new stadium.

You don't build new stadiums to get back the cash you immediately put in 5 years. You get it back on sale or a much longer period.

Football clubs aren't quick flips either.

Every ambitious club is making efforts to modernise stadiums. Madrid, Barcelona, Man U... Everton and Luton. It helps ensure the long-term value and prospects.

Can't talk about "best in class" and have a third-rate stadium.

9 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Agreed. Tron's been defending this lack of action for weeks and I don't understand why. If PIF are as ambitious as they say - we need better facilities.

Bottom line is - PIF are seemingly slow to move in general. The general sound is they will invest but will be slow and cautious. 

Football is fast-moving though.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Agreed. Tron's been defending this lack of action for weeks and I don't understand why. If PIF are as ambitious as they say - we need better facilities.

Bottom line is - PIF are seemingly slow to move in general. The general sound is they will invest but will be slow and cautious. 

I understand, it’s hard for people to critique the folks the saved us from Ashley. I’m with them on that to an extent. 

problem is. It’s the owners that said these things unprompted so as fans it’s up to us to hold them accountable. 

17 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I'm not defending the lack of action. Why wouldn't I want a bigger stadium which is best in class for our club? I'm putting forward reasons as to why it might not have happened (yet). You could address those and maybe I'll agree with you.

2 hours ago, Pixelphish said:

We're such a neutortic fanbase (online at least) I don't think it matters who owns us tbh. We'll always fear the worst.

But you just knew, that the old, 'we only want a club that tries' line would grow old fast with expectations, the qualifying for the UCL was great, but overachieving has given a proportion of the fanbase  heightened demands.

Some actually think we're a top four club now, some think we're a top six, personally I thought we'd build year on year, bit by bit, I'd put us in the mix with the top eight looking to build season on season, the emergence of Villa and Brighton, Chelsea now finding their feet.

Expectation needs to be more realistic, as you say, online the fanbase is as deluded as I can ever remember.