PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

Just now, Thomson Mouse said:

:lol: 

I give up. Fucking hell :lol: 

Good was getting tiresome you reading into the way you wanted 🙂 It was just an arse covering exercise. Otherwise the tone would’ve be totally different and a lot firmer. It was just “possibility” and “a risk”.  🤷‍♂️ 

2 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Are we really discussing if it’s a good idea that the club have asked fans not wear religious or regional clothing if they are not pet of that religion or region?

Nope not at all. Go back to sleep 🙂

10 minutes ago, Sima said:

Not even a discussion, man.

Don't be a daft cunt putting a bedsheet and your ma's tea towel on your swede.

But keep flying the Saudi flags/banners and buying watered down warm beer piss…

11 minutes ago, HTT II said:

But keep flying the Saudi flags/banners and buying watered down warm beer piss…

Those flying Saudi flags are whoppers, too.

Have I missed a memo? Are we still not buying stuff in the ground?

:lol: There aren’t many, if any Saudis that are offended by it (the first thing a Saudi will ask ejnabi/foreigners to do over here is to fully kit up KSA style and take photos etc. they love it, it’s a sign of accepting Saudi society). It’s not inherently a religious outfit save the fact that it was worn by the Prophet (pbuh). I’ll see if I can take a picture of a prominent Saudi publication with a cover picture of guys in thobes etc. with the caption roughly translating to “KSA fever takes over Newcastle” *green heart*”.

But anyway, KIO have said their piece and it’s very fucking easy not to do. Little point arguing about it tbh.

Edited by McCormick

My Mexican girlfriend (well, not, see mood thread..) would want smack anyone dressing up 'as a Mexican' for a laugh. She loves good humour, she can 'handle' it, but she'd want to smack you and she'd feel uncomfortable around you. I'm sure you'll find plenty of Mexicans to quote who say they aren't arsed. The idea that dressing up in cultural attire as a costume for a laugh, especially when that culture is regularly the recipient of various forms of racism, is not really controversial. No, it's not the most damaging thing in the world and I'm sure most haven't really thought about it, but it's a shitty thing to do.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

Well they need to get a grip :lol:

Imagine being arsed about something so absolutely trivial man. The vast majority of emotionally mature adults, regardless of their heritage, will be able cope with another culture dressing up as them in good faith. We don't have to constantly play the white saviour, man. Most foreigners couldn't give a shit about this kind of thing.

9 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

My Mexican girlfriend (well, not, see mood thread..) would want smack anyone dressing up 'as a Mexican' for a laugh. She loves good humour, she can 'handle' it, but she'd want to smack you and she'd feel uncomfortable around you. I'm sure you'll find plenty of Mexicans to quote who say they aren't arsed. The idea that dressing up in cultural attire as a costume for a laugh, especially when that culture is regularly the recipient of various forms of racism, is not really controversial. No, it's not the most damaging thing in the world, but it's a shitty thing to do.

Is that not because Mexicans don't dress like the parody fancy dress, though? I suppose it is fair to say that Saudi Arabians don't wear tea towels like. 

and that's the thing I suppose. The Mexican cliche was allowed to persist for so long that it gets up their noses, understandably. The Saudi Arabians might want to avoid that.

A warm welcome is all well and good, but it's just that. A welcome.

Edited by Happinesstan

2 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Imagine being arsed about something so absolutely trivial man. The vast majority of emotionally mature adults, regardless of their heritage, will be able cope with another culture dressing up as them in good faith. We don't have to constantly play the white saviour, man. Most foreigners couldn't give a shit about this kind of thing.

I'll let her know the guy who has a very good understanding of what 'white saviour' means said so.

Probably been mentioned but I seem to remember everyone including the media having a chuckle when we had a French day including fans dressed in berets and onions.

France must be the only country left that you are allowed to culturally appropriate.

5 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Is that not just telling a culture what they can and can't be offended by?

Let's flip this around and imagine some Brit booting off about Mexicans wearing old Victorian attire and fake drinking tea after Richard Branson takes over Cruz Azul. They would get absolutely tortured. I hope any Mexican crying over people wearing sombreros would receive the same over there.

1 minute ago, STM said:

Probably been mentioned but I seem to remember everyone including the media having a chuckle when we had a French day including fans dressed in berets and onions.

France must be the only country left that you are allowed to culturally appropriate.

This is what I was alluding to in my above post. It's all well and good to show respect, at the appropriate time, but it can become patronising if you are doing it without context.

Cant see that the reason for the statement is that someone has been offended. Think the club released this statement to prevent the tea-towel part of the fanbase to give fuel to anyone who yells "sportswashing". 

Think every newspaper in Norway has had some sort of article the last few days comparing the pictures of our dressed up fans with a picture of MBS or Khashoggi. Not exactly good PR.

2 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Let's flip this around and imagine some Brit booting off about Mexicans wearing old Victorian attire and fake drinking tea after Richard Branson takes over Cruz Azul. They would get absolutely tortured. I hope any Mexican crying over people wearing sombreros would receive the same over there.

How can you be so ignorant as to think making fun of British and Mexican or Arab culture is the same thing? At least I know this isn't a conversation worth getting into. I'm out.

Edited by Inferior Acuña