PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

Guest reefatoon
5 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

:lol:

Hold on, you are outraged at people wearing tea towels on their head but giggling at that image? ;)

16 hours ago, McCormick said:

:lol: There aren’t many, if any Saudis that are offended by it (the first thing a Saudi will ask ejnabi/foreigners to do over here is to fully kit up KSA style and take photos etc. they love it, it’s a sign of accepting Saudi society). It’s not inherently a religious outfit save the fact that it was worn by the Prophet (pbuh). I’ll see if I can take a picture of a prominent Saudi publication with a cover picture of guys in thobes etc. with the caption roughly translating to “KSA fever takes over Newcastle” *green heart*”.

But anyway, KIO have said their piece and it’s very fucking easy not to do. Little point arguing about it tbh.

It's not the arabs who have a problem with it, or even NUFC owners. But they are getting a lot of heat from pressure groups who are anti-Saudi and they have probably thought it's easier just to ask people not to dress up as arabs. 

40 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Just our of interest, did Citeh fans do similar? Or Chelsea with Russian flags? Or Leicester?

Serious question as I have no memory of it happening with them.

A quick Google search suggest not.

Leicester fans used the Thai flag a lot in relation to their death of their owner, but apart from that there is very little to suggest the three clubs do anything more.

47 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Just our of interest, did Citeh fans do similar? Or Chelsea with Russian flags? Or Leicester?

City Fans After the takeover!

Manchester-City-fans-e1413108513240.jpgmanchester-city-fan-shows-his-support-fo

4 minutes ago, jarralad said:

It's cringeworthy but that's about it, I remember fans wearing sombreros when we signed Mirandinha even though he was brazilian and not mexican.

https://ibb.co/LPhxrYx

It's not even cringeworthy tbh, there's a massive difference between fans dressing up as arabs as a fun show of solidarity, and fans doing something similar to take the piss like the slanty eyed jape that Wullie posted above. 

2 hours ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Apparently Citeh fans did but were also asked to stop by the club.

56 minutes ago, huss9 said:

arabs arent offended. my dad knows loads in the uk and in saudi and they all think its class. got a few new arab footie cnverts too.

Which was an argument made for justifying racism in comedy in the past, that now seems abhorrent, "I know black people who say they find it funny too".

Putting aside the thorny and often overextended issue of cultural appropriation (just about all culture is appropriated to some extent, the line comes when it relates to something that is significant to a minority group whose culture has been attacked etc.), the phrase 'towel head' has direct racist associations and is clearly inappropriate to put a fucking towel on your head in that context.

Edited by Jackie Broon

20 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

Which was an argument made for justifying racism in comedy in the past, that now seems abhorrent, "I know black people who say they find it funny too".

Putting aside the thorny and often overextended issue of cultural appropriation (just about all culture is appropriated to some extent, the line comes when it relates to something that is significant to a minority group that whose culture has been attacked etc.), the phrase 'towel head' has direct racist associations and is clearly inappropriate to put a fucking towel on your head in that context.

I get what you are saying, but I wouldn't be surprised if the people who are protesting actually dislike arabs a lot more than the ones who are in the fancy dress.

12 minutes ago, TRon said:

I get what you are saying, but I wouldn't be surprised if the people who are protesting actually dislike arabs a lot more than the ones who are in the fancy dress.

Even if it were Hitler protesting it wouldn't make it any more acceptable for someone to put a fucking towel on their head.

9 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Protesting what?

My impression is that the ones protesting about dressing up as arabs are the same ones who were not happy about the Saudi led takeover of NUFC. 

i wonder if the visceral defense of it is just some peoples reaction to the feeling of shame or embarrassment. like they're just not mature or intelligent enough to know how to process being wrong internally so they angrily double down.

Using actual garb and respecting the customs and culture when dressing up in this actual garb = Yes

Putting a tea towel out of the sink and putting it on your head going "hee haw I'm an Arab lol" = No

It's not that hard.

Edited by Kaizero

26 minutes ago, TRon said:

My impression is that the ones protesting about dressing up as arabs are the same ones who were not happy about the Saudi led takeover of NUFC. 

Well our owners are now the ones asking the fans kindly not to do it.

End of argument, case fucking closed.

Everyone has had their fun and enjoyed the moment so its time to move on, If the new owners have asked politely for some of our fans to stop dressing up, then just stop dressing up. 

Lets just build a better environment together, so we can all enjoy a new future without Ashley.  

We can argue all day long about who is offended and not offended.