PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

I've been to Saudi zero times, and have no plans on going either, but I would have thought your situation will be different to a team which is actually owned by the Saudis themselves. They will be considered VIPs of the highest status, I would have thought there would be special arrangements made if they agreed to go over there. Although personally, I doubt Howe would sanction booze on a training trip anyway. 

Well, obviously they're at a slightly higher level than me that goes without saying but I normally work for the Royal Saudi Airforce when I go out there (I had to get subcontracted through BAE for complicated reasons) and I count a few Saudi majors and colonels as friends for many years and have been lucky enough to go to their houses, and I had absolutely no chance of getting a sniff of anything. From everything I know and from how the Saudis are about alcohol, there's zero chance. None. Not only can you not get it because it's just not available in any shop whatsoever to anyone at all, but you dare not even ASK anyone about it because it's so totalitarian over there that you fear they might just march you off somewhere.

Alcohol is against their Muslim beliefs, and they take those incredibly seriously. They hand out leaflets on the plane on the way over there with big banners on saying "DEATH TO DRUG SMUGGLERS" telling you exactly what will happen if you bring in the wrong stuff, and even though I don't even take paracetamol over with me and touch nothing harder than alcohol these days, I still have that moment of panic where I wonder if I accidentally packed a few kilos of coke. :lol:

First time I went over I had to sign a form saying I wouldn't even JUGGLE. I shit you not.

Don't equate Saudi to more relaxed Muslim countries like the UAE (which I've also been to loads) where you can get alcohol as long as you're not Muslim. It's not like that at all. Maybe they do find a way to get some, but because you cannot trust anyone around you and because you are in such an alien environment and know how illegal it is, you'd be fucking stupid to try.

1 minute ago, Chris_R said:

Well, obviously they're at a slightly higher level than me that goes without saying but I normally work for the Royal Saudi Airforce when I go out there (I had to get subcontracted through BAE for complicated reasons) and I count a few Saudi majors and colonels as friends for many years and have been lucky enough to go to their houses, and I had absolutely no chance of getting a sniff of anything. From everything I know and from how the Saudis are about alcohol, there's zero chance. None. Not only can you not get it because it's just not available in any shop whatsoever to anyone at all, but you dare not even ASK anyone about it because it's so totalitarian over there that you fear they might just march you off somewhere.

Alcohol is against their Muslim beliefs, and they take those incredibly seriously. They hand out leaflets on the plane on the way over there with big banners on saying "DEATH TO DRUG SMUGGLERS" telling you exactly what will happen if you bring in the wrong stuff, and even though I don't even take paracetamol over with me and touch nothing harder than alcohol these days, I still have that moment of panic where I wonder if I accidentally packed a few kilos of coke. :lol:

First time I went over I had to sign a form saying I wouldn't even JUGGLE. I shit you not.

Don't equate Saudi to more relaxed Muslim countries like the UAE (which I've also been to loads) where you can get alcohol as long as you're not Muslim. It's not like that at all. Maybe they do find a way to get some, but because you cannot trust anyone around you and because you are in such an alien environment and know how illegal it is, you'd be fucking stupid to try.

Fair enough mate, I will cede to your greater personal experience. I think that will just have Eddie Howe even more buzzing to get the likes of Jonjo over there. 

Used to have the Confederations Cup there this time of year in the 90s. European champions Denmark, world champions Brazil, Venables Australia and the USA, Argentina. Batistuta, Ronaldo, Laudrup, Romario, Viduka, Ronaldinho Now they get us. 

I must have missed the outcry back then.

Edited by Wolfcastle

42 minutes ago, LV said:

Fuck were you doing in Libya?

That must have been amazing. 

Was there during and after the revolution for about a year, working on a documentary and with the musicians on a music festival. Back in the day, I used to post updates on here when I was there (as QuakesMag of course).

Just now, Vinny Green Balls said:

Was there during and after the revolution for about a year, working on a documentary and with the musicians on a music festival. Back in the day, I used to post updates on here when I was there (as QuakesMag of course).

Ah your QuakesMag! Makes sense

Nice one mate 

Used to work for an Egyptian born Saudi citizen and one night we had a party at his in North Shields where he got double mortal and made us play some bullshit board game called Camel Up that had German rules that nobody understood. So my advice is, if anyone tries to get you to play camel up, prepare for an agonising 3 hours of your boss trying to explain the rules of the game in a language twice removed.

CamelUp_Racing.jpg

1 hour ago, Chris_R said:

Was in a similar boat with Chris_R in my old military job and can confirm. It's nothing at all like being in Abu Dhabi. More or less the only exception is embassies where they can get stuff in through diplomatic pouches which aren't subject to customs.

A good mate of mine works for a Saudi firm and he won't even take his personal phone with him when he travels over there, just his work one, as guards are known to scroll through WhatsApp groups etc in search of anything deemed immodest.

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

A good mate of mine works for a Saudi firm and he won't even take his personal phone with him when he travels over there, just his work one, as guards are known to scroll through WhatsApp groups etc in search of anything deemed immodest.

I, for one absolutely love the colour green and am very fond of sand.

2 hours ago, Chris_R said:

When we’re you last here out of interest?

1 hour ago, oldtype said:

Was in a similar boat with Chris_R in my old military job and can confirm. It's nothing at all like being in Abu Dhabi. More or less the only exception is embassies where they can get stuff in through diplomatic pouches which aren't subject to customs.

Yep, one of my mates worked there a few times and that’s exactly what he said - the embassy was the only place which stocked alcohol, but it was illegal to have any in your system once you left.  He went once, and the taxi ride home was apparently stressful, worrying in case the driver drops him off at the religious police … better to hop across to Bahrain or UAE once a month …

He was very, very well paid on his stays over there (around two years in total) - but I wouldn’t want to set foot there, never mind work.  The stories from him and others I know paint a picture of exactly what I imagined living in an atavistic and brutal dictatorship would be like.

11 minutes ago, McCormick said:

When we’re you last here out of interest?

Mid-2020, I think? Spent 5 weeks in Jeddah. Don't *think* I've been since, but tbh I travel enough that I've lost track. :lol:

Was supposed to be back in Jeddah December just gone however it got pushed back indefinitely, but will almost certainly be in Al Majmaah some time early summer or late spring.

2 minutes ago, MarkyMark said:

Yep, one of my mates worked there a few times and that’s exactly what he said - the embassy was the only place which stocked alcohol, but it was illegal to have any in your system once you left.  He went once, and the taxi ride home was apparently stressful, worrying in case the driver drops him off at the religious police … better to hop across to Bahrain or UAE once a month …

He was very, very well paid on his stays over there (around two years in total) - but I wouldn’t want to set foot there, never mind work.  The stories from him and others I know paint a picture of exactly what I imagined living in an atavistic and brutal dictatorship would be like.

Still, it’s good news about all the transfers.

I've also been to KSA many times. Was there in November for the first time in 5 years. Visited Jeddah, Dammam and Riyadh on a three week business trip. It's very different these days. Live music, unveiled women smoking in Costa, women driving, businesses not closing at prayer times. Even managed to get a drink at a customer's dinner party. Everyone over there appears to be much happier these days. Crazily enough, Riyadh is actually now the most liberal of the three main cities. 

Not much support for Newcastle on the ground yet, but did managed to catch the Arsenal game at a cafe with Saudi Gazza :lol: He's a very decent bloke. 

Just now, christ said:

Still, it’s good news about all the transfers.

Undoubtedly - I’m still not sure if I need to declare ‘I’m a Newcastle United supporter who’d like to see us sign some decent players’ when my Amnesty membership renews in March :)