PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

5 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

They’ve made a series of mistakes that have already cost us points, imo.

Not sacking Bruce immediately, not appointing a replacement quickly, the lack of a football structure in time for January.

I’m also not convinced other than Trippier we have prepared particularly well with signings.

I’m surprised it’s taken three bids and however much negotiating to realise Botman isn’t for sale. Unless Lille’s public message is different to the private one.

I would have hoped we’d have scoped initial discussions with clubs and agents ahead of January and moved much quicker.

I think they’ll definitely get it right eventually, but like Howe, they need to improve or we’re heading down.

How do we know this didn't happen?

Just now, The Prophet said:

How do we know this didn't happen?

It clearly did with Trippier. But other than that our total lack of effectiveness elsewhere this window is telling.

Are you saying it’s more likely that Lille and Sevilla both led us on throughout December before rejecting our bids? Seems bizarre.

As if it took Staveley a fucking month to conclude her "robust search" and land us with the inspid wet blanket that she did :lol:

Good thing PIF have bottomless pockets cos we've only just started to spunk cash about and there'll be many hundreds of millions more wasted before they remove the listless primary school teacher we've got in the dugout after we inevitably stall in next year's promotion race.

I'm glad we've got our club back but by Christ we need someone with half a clue to come in and run it properly - both at board level and dugout level.

Just now, Pilko said:

As if it took Staveley a fucking month to conclude her "robust search" and land us with the inspid wet blanket that she did :lol:

Good thing PIF have bottomless pockets cos we've only just started to spunk cash about and there'll be many hundreds of millions more wasted before they remove the listless primary school teacher we've got in the dugout after we inevitably stall in next year's promotion race.

I'm glad we've got our club back but by Christ we need someone with half a clue to come in and run it properly - both at board level and dugout level.

Dog dirt

Just now, triggs said:

What is the exact ownership structure? Do Staveley and her husband actually own a part of the club or are they employees? Can't see them lasting long in their roles

Own 10% and have been given a contract to manage the club for the foreseeable by PIF.

23 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Where is it reported that Hammond has left the role he had with the club by the way? Saw it mentioned on here earlier. What a weird set of events that is/was.

The Times:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/eddie-howe-puts-faith-in-oven-ready-buys-to-keep-newcastle-united-up-ls2kmjv7m

Just bizarre all-round and doesn’t scream ‘competence’ - but then little has so far. 

25 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Own 10% and have been given a contract to manage the club for the foreseeable by PIF.

12 month contract.  9 months to go.  Tick tock tick tock.  Can’t imagine the Saudis keeping that contract in place in the event of relegation.

43 minutes ago, MarkyMark said:

The Times:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/eddie-howe-puts-faith-in-oven-ready-buys-to-keep-newcastle-united-up-ls2kmjv7m

Just bizarre all-round and doesn’t scream ‘competence’ - but then little has so far. 

12 month contract.  9 months to go.  Tick tock tick tock.  Can’t imagine the Saudis keeping that contract in place in the event of relegation.

Fuck me :facepalm:

50 minutes ago, MarkyMark said:

The Times:

It seems that they’ve handed the transfer autonomy to Howe hence the dogshit signing in Wood. 

The biggest criticism of Howe at Bournemouth was that he spent millions on failed transfers.

I can see this going horribly wrong really quickly.

7 minutes ago, LV said:

Fuck me :facepalm:

I think they’ll ruthlessly defend their investment - I’m not suggesting that Staveley will be off the board.  But running the club will likely be done in the event of relegation.  She said the same in her interview to the Athletic a while back.

As far as I’m concerned, they’ve got two weeks to sort this out.  I think relegation is far, far more disastrous than some people on here are thinking.  ‘We’ll just bounce straight back’ is the attitude; meanwhile, the PL will enjoy rewriting that rule book. 

1 minute ago, MarkyMark said:

I think they’ll ruthlessly defend their investment - I’m not suggesting that Staveley will be off the board.  But running the club will likely be done in the event of relegation.  She said the same in her interview to the Athletic a while back.

As far as I’m concerned, they’ve got two weeks to sort this out.  I think relegation is far, far more disastrous than some people on here are thinking.  ‘We’ll just bounce straight back’ is the attitude; meanwhile, the PL will enjoy rewriting that rule book. 

Well yeah, I’m definitely not discounting the PL/ other clubs pulling up the ladder 

2 minutes ago, Yelevats said:

It seems that they’ve handed the transfer autonomy to Howe hence the dogshit signing in Wood. 

The biggest criticism of Howe at Bournemouth was that he spent millions on failed transfers.

I can see this going horribly wrong really quickly.

Yeah, their transfer market record was iffy.  I always find it interesting that people talk as if Bournemouth’s promotion to the PL was miraculous - somehow forgetting that they spent a LOT of money getting out of that division (breaking FFP rules in the process).  They spun led a lot in the PL too - much of it wasted. 

3 minutes ago, MarkyMark said:

What rule book would that be? They can make rule changes now when we are in the league?

Just now, Geordie Ahmed said:

What rule book would that be? They can make rule changes now when we are in the league?

We’re in a position to challenge it as members.  We’re not if we’re not in it.

Quite apart from the hammering it would do to our FFP, given the likely losses in the second division, as well as further dents to prestige.

I don’t think PIF bought the club thinking relegation was likely irrespective of position at the time.  They bought us less than two months into the season - it’s hardly as if we were sunk.  Our position hasn’t improved since. 

5 minutes ago, MarkyMark said:

Quite apart from the hammering it would do to our FFP, given the likely losses in the second division, as well as further dents to prestige.

I don’t think PIF bought the club thinking relegation was likely irrespective of position at the time.  They bought us less than two months into the season - it’s hardly as if we were sunk.  Our position hasn’t improved since. 

We can challenge all we like, it just requires 14 clubs to vote to change things, as they did with the sponsorship

I agree going down negatively impacts FFP but that's a possibility they will have been well aware of

I'm trying to look at relegation as a set back rather than a disaster, which it would have been under Ashley/Bruce

3 minutes ago, MarkyMark said:

Spot on here……PIF’s biggest mistake is not throwing money at a new manager.There we’re plenty out there available…..Offer silly money and a vision and my guess is plenty would have bitten…..but it needed to be done within the first 2 weeks of takeover. A good manager is far more important than at £60m new player, but he needed to be in immediately…. I fear the new consortium has made their biggest error in this field…..let’s hope I’m wrong.

Just now, Geordie Ahmed said:

We can challenge all we like, it just requires 14 clubs to vote to change things, as they did with the sponsorship

I agree going down negatively impacts FFP but that's a possibility they will have been well aware of

I'm trying to look at relegation as a set back rather than a disaster, which it would have been under Ashley/Bruce

We can’t challenge it in the courts if we’re not in it.  Because it wouldn’t concern us.

I still think relegation is disastrous, though less so than under Ashley / Bruce.  And while the vast majority of the blame can comfortably be placed at the door of the previous lot, I don’t think that the current owners or manager would be getting off scot free. 

1 minute ago, Jinky Jim said:

Spot on here……PIF’s biggest mistake is not throwing money at a new manager.There we’re plenty out there available…..Offer silly money and a vision and my guess is plenty would have bitten…..but it needed to be done within the first 2 weeks of takeover. A good manager is far more important than at £60m new player, but he needed to be in immediately…. I fear the new consortium has made their biggest error in this field…..let’s hope I’m wrong.

Yeah, that looks the case to me too.  They’ve massively undervalued having a top manager in place.  They had Emery lined up but certain parties just love talking to the press.  Huge error and they wasted a lot of time.

Howe was favourite to replace Bruce under Ashley, which should give anyone a sense of where he sits in the managerial pecking order.  It was never an inspired choice - though of course it is far too early to call for him to go, and there’s time yet to get in the signings that make the difference.  But his management hasn’t made that much of a dent from what I’m looking at.

Hope springs eternal - I still think he’s a better manager (and bloke) than Bruce, so he is still an improvement on what was in the dugout before.  I can’t help feeling that more was required 

Your manager sets the level of players that you can sign. We all knew this from the very beginning but we were all high on getting rid of Ashley and Bruce and we allowed ourselves to let optimism and circumstances dictate an overly positive response. That is fine. What is not fine is doubling down on a mistake for the sake of worrying about being seen as delusional, or pretending that relegation isn’t a big deal, or refusing to put pressure on a manager when he has done absolutely nothing for us from the moment he walked in the door.

None of us can materially change much but we can absolutely compound a problem by letting apathy dictate our response.