PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

32 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Thing for me is whilst logic suggests we'd come back up since we won that league that last three times we were in it, this is football and I'd far sooner not take the chance. It isn't a certain thing.

Blackburn only scraped up by the skin of their teeth after throwing record sums of money at it and Derby did likewise and missed out.

Yeh obviously like to avoid it, but I can't envisage a scenario where we wouldn't be able to recruit with enough quality to get us straight back up. 

Then once we're back up....

Edited by Thumbheed

54 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I’m worried what the PL would do in our absence mainly. We’d piss the division like. 

I initially worried about this, but I'm not sure what they could do in our absence that they can't do while we're in the division. Restrictions on promoted clubs perhaps (similar to their permanent members stuff with the big six, Everton and Palace)?

5 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I don't know what law they are beholden to though, I'm sure they could ratfuck us out of it in some way. Maybe I'm paranoid but with the Super League, the big six meetings, all that shit just gives me anxiety

I think that’s a legitimate worry 

5 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I don't know what law they are beholden to though, I'm sure they could ratfuck us out of it in some way. Maybe I'm paranoid but with the Super League, the big six meetings, all that shit just gives me anxiety

I thought about this too, but if ESL ever took off again we'd still not be invited anyway. 

"We don't want a club that wins, we just want a club that tries" and all that.

I'm quite comfortable with relegation because being in the Championship with our current owners in charge fills me with a lot more hope than being in the Premiership with Ashley in charge ever did.

Fingers crossed it doesn't come to that, but let's not forget we're where we are today because they bought a club that was run on a skeleton staff, with incompetent grifters filling key positions across the club. We had an unfit, undercoached playing staff who were coasting towards relegation. It was a ambitionless shell of a club.

I'm still optimistic we'll make a good fist of the transfer market and the rest of the season because our new owners are actually trying. Until the structure of the club s fleshed out and key appointments are made things are going to be a bit chaotic and errors will be made. Even then I don't think they've done too much wrong to date. For example, I'd rather have the right man for DoF who secures our future for the next decade, than the wrong man who navigates us through a single transfer market, even if it means things are handled with a bit of naivety and a ham-fist in the short term.

Edited by The Prophet

Getting the backroom organisation of the club up to scratch is a huge job that takes time. Getting our squad back up to reasonable standard after years of awful coaching neglect and poor signings is also a huge task. It was always a tall order to avoid the need we are in and i do think they dithered but my criticism is tiny really. They could do everything right and we could still go down. 

I think we will go down, i don't know if it's realistically avoidable but i know this whole club needs root and branch change and a season in championship isn't worst thing in the world to clear out rotten crap. The concern of course is premier League voting to prevent us coming back up i guess

Edited by Tiresias

47 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

If we do go down - who approves sponsorship deals in the championship?

Anyone? No one? Can we just gives ourselves an enormous wedge?

I'm prepared to pay £250 million a season so some Saudi based company would need to beat that.

42 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Great thread.

People @ing the owners like a bunch of spoilt Bairns need to fuck clean off like. 

That bloke has Bullshit Keith and Wraith as two of his best mates. He showed time and again during the takeover that he’s absolutely clueless. Personally wouldn’t take notice of anything he says.

7 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

That bloke has Bullshit Keith and Wraith as two of his best mates. He showed time and again during the takeover that he’s absolutely clueless. Personally wouldn’t take notice of anything he says.

What he says there though is perfectly reasonable and sensible 

53 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Great thread.

People @ing the owners like a bunch of spoilt Bairns need to fuck clean off like. 

Yep that’s a brilliant thread and well worth a read 

Just now, LV said:

What he says there though is perfectly reasonable and sensible 

In your opinion, the fact bids (allegedly) are flying in left, right and centre for players doesn’t indicate sustainable investment and nor does that fact Staveley came out that their aim is to win the league in five / ten years time (or she is lying). You don’t get into that position without splashing the cash and heavily. 

2 hours ago, christ said:

Got as far as “sustainable, measured investments” and laughed so hard I popped a lung.

I laughed at 'probably why it keeps increasing'.  Love the notion that they're accomplished business people, rather than fascists who won the resources lottery.  Kennedy is in line with the nuggets in the fanbase that think that acumen has built up the PIF rather than petrodollars.

Staveley did talk about aiming to win the title in ten years - but that still doesn't mean hoying hundreds of millions in.  Leicester didn't - the assumption seems to be 'sensible' investment (she talked of 250m over five windows) and capable management would get them there.

Ashley talked about winning things too.  Most PL owners do.

It is a 'wait and see'.  The fact that PIF have handed the entire club's running across on a management contract suggests that they do see it as a 'sensible' investment vehicle rather than a sportswashing exercise.

1 hour ago, et tu brute said:

In your opinion, the fact bids (allegedly) are flying in left, right and centre for players doesn’t indicate sustainable investment and nor does that fact Staveley came out that their aim is to win the league in five / ten years time (or she is lying). You don’t get into that position without splashing the cash and heavily. 

A 30m offer for Diego Carlos isn't suggestive of that - and most of the transfer rumours are clear and obvious bollocks.  The club could have comfortably been buying players at those prices for years under its own steam - and has been.  

11 minutes ago, MarkyMark said:

A 30m offer for Diego Carlos isn't suggestive of that - and most of the transfer rumours are clear and obvious bollocks.  The club could have comfortably been buying players at those prices for years under its own steam - and has been.  

Think you’re forgetting the bid for Botman and the signings of Trippier and Wood. I think you already know I disagree with your philosophy of how the club will be ran. We will wait and see though, as the proof will be in the pudding, as they say.

Edited by et tu brute

2 hours ago, christ said:

Got as far as “sustainable, measured investments” and laughed so hard I popped a lung.

Can't think of anything more sustainable and measured than giving Masayoshi Son 50 billion to waste on WeWork and cratering Uber shares.

Just now, et tu brute said:

Think you’re forgetting the bid for Botman and the signings of Trippier and Wood. I think you already know I disagree with your philosophy of how the club will be ran.

Trippier for c.10m was very sensible -as was his wages.  Wood also not insane.  You wouldn't need petrodollars for those.

Again, Staveley said 50m above what the club could generate each window.  Even if they signed BOTH Botman and Carlos for 40m each, that would be in line with that

And yeah, I know we disagree on this one - always respectfully of course :) - we're both working on reasonable suppositions would be my view of it.  I can't disprove what you're saying at all - it might well be the case.  I'd be more than happy with seeing a major trophy on Tyneside in the next few years ...