PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

Nothing will ever top hundreds of SAFC fans storming the stadium of light armed with spanners to replace some pink seats, now that is how to celebrate a takeover…

TBF they did get a free boiled Westlers hamburger for their troubles 

7 minutes ago, STM said:

How many other clubs in a similar situation would have sparked the scenes like last night?

Very few.

Our scenes were questionably larger than Leicester’s the night they won the fucking league :lol: 

Imagine when we actually do win something.

I'm going to say this and might get some flak. But one unsung 'hero' in getting this takeover over the line is QC Daniel Jowell during the CAT hearing 2 weeks ago. He put down that PL QC Adam Lewis that even Mr.Justice was laughing in agreement. It might not have had a direct impact but I'm pretty convinced, the CAT case would have gone ahead and the PL gave up at this point and compromised. He should always be welcomed on Tyneside.

Edited by nufcjb

It's fucking mad, man. I've only known Ashley so the blip of his ownership is my entire experience. I've seen footage of the good old days and they've been unrecognizable to me. The idea that the passion at the ground yesterday will make it's way into the stands on matchday and that it's ok to love this club again is impossible to describe. The Spurs game feels like a rebirth.

10 minutes ago, STM said:

How many other clubs in a similar situation would have sparked the scenes like last night?

Very few.

Remember when Man City won the title by Man United losing a match, in 2017/18, and there were just a handful of supporters gathered at the Etihad after.

Edit: found video...

Edited by Jackie Broon

Just up after about 5 hours sleep in the last 48 hours or so. What's really made it for me was how quick everything happened. This meant that the excitement was able to build and keep building, without the life exhausting and continuous counter reports we had previously experienced these last 18 months. When the anti-media brigade were also singing from the same hymn sheet, then that told me this is really on. After expecting the issues through the legal cases to last a minimum of 6 months (in addition to the 18 months), to then have everything done in 36 hours (I know behind closed doors it was longer) from that first report of the Saudi/Bein agreement to the Premier League statement was just sublime. 

You younger lads enjoy this moment - the only thing I time I can remember such excitement, is when KK returned to the club in 1992 (I was 19 at the time) We know what came after. :)

I think for many of us, we are more happy that 'he' has gone, rather than the new owners. A brave new world awaits. :thup:

20 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

I mean one reason why nation states should not own football clubs, what happens if something serious kicks off in the middle east in the next 10 years? What if we end up somehow on different sides of a really serious conflict, economic or armed with saudi arabia? It may seem inconceivable while they are so important to the world economy but it's not like the world isn't trying to disentangle itself from being reliant on them. There could be sudden regime change, it's a monachy someone dies and suddenly their whole policy agenda is different. What happens to our club if suddenly PIF do not want to be spending money abroad anymore, or if we are essentially at war with them? (One of the purposes of PIF I guess is to keep the global economy entangled with SA enough that the west would never seriously consider armed conflict with them). Suddenly our club is entitely in the whims of a foreign state. 

It's exactly the same with Chelsea and Man City if the owners suddenly decide to fuck off or something. It's not unique, but it isn't how I would run football. 

Anyway back to being really excited about this :) 

What if a British owner got jailed/died and had to give up running the club and whoever took over weren't as ambitious. It's the nature of ownership, it could change and ambition levels could change. PIF owns us, they could throw tons of money at us for 10 years and then scale back investment after if we don't fit their plans anymore, even without being at war with the world. You can't get stuck on "what if" scenarios like those, man :lol: 

A responsible owner will try to make the club somewhat self-sufficient with academy and training ground investments and they are looking to do that. It's as responsible ownership as you can get in this day and age.

Edited by Kaizero

9 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

What if a British owner got jailed/died and had to give up running the club and whoever took over weren't as ambitious. It's the nature of ownership, it could change and ambition levels could change. PIF owns us, they could throw tons of money at us for 10 years and then scale back investment after if we don't fit their plans anymore, even without being at war with the world. You can't get stuck on "what if" scenarios like those, man :lol: 

A responsible owner will try to make the club somewhat self-sufficient with academy and training ground investments and they are looking to do that. It's as responsible ownership as you can get in this day and age.

Oh yeah well i just think ownership being allowed how it is is fucked up, no club should be at teh whims of people with no vested interest in it like we were. 

Was there this much focus when Putin’s mate took over at Chelsea? I can’t specifically remember.

Every billionaire is dodgy as fuck, that tends to be why they’re so minted.

Leicester’s owners who are praised almost every second of every day, subject people to some disgustingly bad working conditions in Thailand which leads to deaths.

People are literally dying whilst building football stadiums for the next World Cup. How rotten is that? 

Football sold it’s soul a long time ago. Where does the line stop?

Are people outraged at Disney or Uber? Or is it acceptable for those organisations to be fed by Saudi money? People tend to only be outraged by something when it doesn’t mean they have to change their own behaviour.

14 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

You younger lads enjoy this moment - the only thing I time I can remember such excitement, is when KK returned to the club in 1992 (I was 19 at the time) We know what came after. :)

I think for many of us, we are more happy that 'he' has gone, rather than the new owners. A brave new world awaits. :thup:

That day I was in an English lesson at school, the deputy head barged into the classroom and said "guess who is the new manager of Newcastle... Kevin Keegan!" and then ran off to the next classroom [emoji38]

His third coming was pretty close too, although marred in hindsight.

4 hours ago, Magpie said:

Fender looking a little worse for wear on BBC news this morning 

"Because Ashley's out" I like that. 

Let's be honest, that's what the celebration was all about. A massive release of optimism. I remember this as a great city, filled with great people, when it was brimming with optimism.

None of us can really say with any conviction what the future holds, but at least we can now look forward to it.

27 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

Remember when Man City won the title by Man United losing a match, in 2017/18, and there were just a handful of supporters gathered at the Etihad after.

Edit: found video...

Great comment on that video: "I've seen more atmosphere at a car boot sale" :lol:

16 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

That day I was in an English lesson at school, the deputy head barged into the classroom and said "guess who is the new manager of Newcastle... Kevin Keegan!" and then ran off to the next classroom [emoji38]

His third coming was pretty close too, although marred in hindsight.

So similar. Went home for dinner heard it. Incredibly had English next lesson in the afternoon, upstairs big windows overlooking the area, sun shone - maybe romanticising it but it felt like the first hint of spring and winter ending, everything felt different (hadn't even known KK as a player).

Edited by Wolfcastle

25 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

If the future is anything like the 1993-94 or 2001-02 seasons then I will be very, very happy. Want my dad to see us win a trophy too, he was resigned to thinking he'll probably die before seeing us win something last week. :lol: :smitten:

8 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Was there this much focus when Putin’s mate took over at Chelsea? I can’t specifically remember.

Leicester’s owners who are praised almost every second of every day, subject people to some disgustingly bad working conditions in Thailand which leads to deaths.

People are literally dying whilst building football stadiums for the next World Cup. How rotten is that? 

Are people outraged at Disney or Uber? Or is it acceptable for those organisations to be fed by Saudi money? People tend to only be outraged by something when it doesn’t mean they have to change their own behaviour.

I dont disagree, football has sold it's soul, and I think we should all be excited, but I don't get all these noone criticises these other club owners, I've seen loads of criticism of abramovich at teh time and now. There's plenty, we just dont read it much cos who cares it's chelsea. Plenty of people have long said football's ownerships should be regulated better. There has been plenty for ages, and hasn't been invented just for us. 

People should be angry at the premier league for their management for decades, not suddenly realising 'oh wait they only care about money and I ONLY JUST REALISED'. Please. We don't live in world run sensibly and I think we are all entitled to enjoy what there is. I do think that goes hand in hand with, if we are to try and get any moral benefit at all not let them 'sportwash' and make sure people are aware they are cunts, even if we are powerless otherwise. 

15 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

I refuse to watch Disney or use Uber, tbh. But it's not about me.

The point you make is a bit ridiculous because, as we have seen, people who mention it are instantly shut down, and accused of all sorts of hypocrisy. By people who are only too happy that we have now chosen to sweep wholesale corruption of the game under the carpet.