PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

Just now, Dokko said:

I can't quite remember when i saw it but it was in a financial report the likes of Maguire does via twitter. Its Usmanov their other shareholders company who sponsors them irrc. He'll also sponsor the new ground for £30m.

Thing I saw was £60m from one of Usmanov's companies I think but it didn't specifically mention the training ground.  Doesn't matter like just wondered.  It was a while ago as well, 2017 I think.

1 minute ago, Dokko said:

I can't quite remember when i saw it but it was in a financial report the likes of Maguire does via twitter. Its Usmanov their other shareholders company who sponsors them irrc. He'll also sponsor the new ground for £30m.

Did he not sponsor a sign at the training ground for like £50 million or something?

Just now, mrmojorisin75 said:

Thing I saw was £60m from one of Usmanov's companies I think but it didn't specifically mention the training ground.  Doesn't matter like just wondered.  It was a while ago as well, 2017 I think.

Yup, either or its the exact thing the PL want to stop, so I guess this deal has to fall through and any money earned beyond reasonable has to be fine from the club. Only fair.

9 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

Do you have a source for this cause the first time you mentioned it I couldn't find it.  I did find some record of them getting deals through companies Moshiri was linked with though but not that specific thing.

Wider point it was Ashley taking the PL to court as an outgoing owner/member of the league, I think the new ownership taking them to court will be the last thing they want even if they know they'd win, which they surely would.

I think they will have already threatened legal action and would surely take the league/clubs to court if it is going to have a major impact on their overall plans. Ashley at the time of the court case was not an outgoing owner/member of the league (he was a current owner/member) and that is exactly the reason he went to court.

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Shame they weren’t arsed about Sports Direct paying nowhere near market value or within 10% of the competition.

“Mike Ashley owns the club, he can do what he wants with it” that was a line constantly fed to us by anyone and everyone.

Now it’s, “Saudi own the club and they’re not allowed do anything”

Such hypocritical arseholes.

“True market value” is so widely open to interpretation, too. Who decides “true market value”, how is it assessed, is it assessed the same for everyone, etc. There’s so much to decide what does/doesn’t add/subtract from true market value in the context. Also, what independent market experts will be employed to determine it? 

It’s such BS. Imagine the firm I work in being offered a €5 million sponsorship deal in the morning, and the firm down the road from us protest and say “You can’t have that; it makes you more rich than us and gives you an advantage”. We’d laugh in their face, and even joke that they can try sue us for securing a better backing than them.

Get fucked is what all these clubs shitting their pants at stronger competition can do.

It's a kneejerk decision/rule that's been rushed through without proper thought. Having access to the finest legal minds on the planet means it's either unenforceable or there's some loopholes that can and will be exploited. Quite why the likes of Everton, West Ham, Wolves etc voted this through when it cuts off the cash as they themselves are trying to catch the clutch of clubs above them remains a mystery. They'd actually be better off voting for no restrictions at all then at least they could pump in as much as they wanted but nevermind. Pretty sure the richest people on the planet will have/find a solution to this minor issue, they generally do. 

They’re trying to bulldozer this through by using a voting system, which is trying to enforce a rule totally against anti-competition law. I very much expect that the new owners will be enforcing this to the league through legal correspondence, with the threat that any such action is unlawful and will result in immediate lawsuits being filed to the anti-competition law courts. 

23 hours ago, BlueStar said:

Some of our new Saudi fans confused and appalled in the replies

Anyone who is against that can fuck right off. Really happy to see the club retweet that like. Would love "I am a footballer and I'm gay" to become a slogan. 

5 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jan/14/alisher-usmanov-naming-rights-everton-new-stadium

It’s mentioned in here but doesn’t state the figure:

The club also revealed that the Russian billionaire Alisher Usmanov, a business partner of the majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri, has strengthened his ties with the club after agreeing to pay £30m up front for an exclusive option on naming rights for their new stadium. Usmanov’s holding company USM already sponsors Everton’s training ground.

Great, we can sell OPTIONS to rename our stadium, our training ground, the carpark, TV screens, overseas academies, retail outlets.

I haven't really paid attention to the discussion around sponsorship money, but I'm a bit surprised and confused at how it would be enforced. Surely there's no requirement for any club to disclose commercial deals to other clubs? So if we were to announce a new sponsorship deal without disclosing the value of it, can we just not tell the other clubs that it's within true market value and reject any request for information on the value of the deal?

23 minutes ago, Conjo said:

I haven't really paid attention to the discussion around sponsorship money, but I'm a bit surprised and confused at how it would be enforced. Surely there's no requirement for any club to disclose commercial deals to other clubs? So if we were to announce a new sponsorship deal without disclosing the value of it, can we just not tell the other clubs that it's within true market value and reject any request for information on the value of the deal?

No, the PL rules require clubs to submit accounts with that information each season.

The rules allow the PL to discount any income over fair market value from the FFP calculation.

Edited by Jackie Broon

The world's cameras seem to be on us now, and our profile across the Middle East to name but one whole region, means that sponsorships will have far greater value to start with. You could make arguments all day long about this kind of thing and if challenged could drag it through the courts anyway, I'd guess.

To be honest, if the proposal is that any sponsorship deal needs to be with x% of the highest in the league, I'm alright with that. At least it puts us on a more level playing field - so if it's fair, OK.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the likes of Liverpool and Man U for instance attempt to argue that they are higher profile and should automatically have a higher sponsorship banding, in a similar way to trying to pull up the drawing re the ESL and always get their Champions League money.

At that point, other clubs with ambitions might start to object too. I see a new billionaire has started investing in West Ham as just one example. I can't imagine he'd be delighted that his investment is instantly worth less because there is an inbuilt disadvantage to ever growing his club's worth.

I find it rather strange that all the PL clubs have voted to enforce rules that mean the top clubs can never be caught. To grow commercially, you need to buy top players to help market the brand around the world and also to get better on the pitch to further increase your global brand appeal. Nobody has a chance to catch the top four commercially if they can’t be allowed to spend money to get a higher profile.

I don’t want us to be like Chelsea and Man City, but I don’t think it’s fair that the league is now a closed shop. There needs to be a happy medium and this proposal is not the way forward 

Just now, andyc35i said:

I find it rather strange that all the PL clubs have voted to enforce rules that mean the top clubs can never be caught. To grow commercially, you need to buy top players to help market the brand around the world and also to get better on the pitch to further increase your global brand appeal. Nobody has a chance to catch the top four commercially if they can’t be allowed to spend money to get a higher profile.

I don’t want us to be like Chelsea and Man City, but I don’t think it’s fair that the league is now a closed shop. There needs to be a happy medium and this proposal is not the way forward 

afaik they haven't voted for anything yet, they've only voted to stop us doing anything for the time being the details beyond the next few weeks need to be ironed out and we're a part of the process

13 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

Yeah, it makes absolutely no sense for anyone other than Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and maybe Chelsea. The rules devalue all of the other clubs and condemns them to being also-rans. They're pulling up the drawbridge on themselves just to prevent another club from competing with the big six.

1 minute ago, Jackie Broon said:

Yeah, it makes absolutely no sense for anyone other than Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and maybe Chelsea. The rules devalue all of the other clubs and condemns them to being also-rans. They're pulling up the drawbridge on themselves just to prevent another club from competing with the big six.

You have no idea what the rules will be, calm down.

1 minute ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

You have no idea what the rules will be, calm down.

The current FFP rules already have that effect, they just don't seem to have been particularly rigidly enforced.

They've already unanimously voted for a temporary rule to ban new related party sponsorship and whatever is proposed at the next meeting will not make FFP any more equitable for the clubs outside of the bix 6.

8 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

The current FFP rules already have that effect, they just don't seem to have been particularly rigidly enforced.

They've already unanimously voted for a temporary rule to ban new related party sponsorship and whatever is proposed at the next meeting will not make FFP any more equitable for the clubs outside of the bix 6.

Again, you don't know this.  I share your skepticism but nothing is fact yet. 

Once again I'll repeat if the end product is anything like Edwards suggested it'll be fine, if it's not I would imagine it'll face a legal challenge.

1 minute ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

Again, you don't know this.  I share your skepticism but nothing is fact yet. 

Once again I'll repeat if the end product is anything like Edwards suggested it'll be fine, if it's not I would imagine it'll face a legal challenge.

I'd say that the current rules are fact, they restrict related party sponsorships to fair market value. Clubs outside of the big 6 voted for that, but how could they ever bridge this sort of gap in 'fair market value'? The model of FFP that they have already voted for has already pulled up the drawbridge on them.

value-of-jersey-kit-sponsorships-in-the-