PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

12 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

He's right and that's what I don't get. Totally understand Hatice's disappointment at the Saudi's being allowed to do anything but why is buying NUFC 'heartbreaking' to her and not global F1 or global boxing or global wrestling. The UK has sold Saudi's weapons for decades but buying 80% of a football club is the bit that's beyond the pale!? 

PS Liverpool supported neavau riche Blackburn's quest to overhaul the hated Manchester United in the mid 90s.  I guess because it wasn't sustainable like Chelsea, City and us that was okay.

On the latter, Jack Walker, and John Hall were similar wealthy owners. Of course Blackburn bought their one and only title,

Looking at it, they are the original premier league blueprint, for buying PL title. 

I watched a documentary on something to do with the PL, where the then admin girl who's still with Rovers to this day explained, Jack Walker told her and the Staff that Blackburn will be premier league champions, she said they all laughed, but it happened in two seasons. 

Edited by mighty__mag

21 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

He's right and that's what I don't get. Totally understand Hatice's disappointment at the Saudi's being allowed to do anything but why is buying NUFC 'heartbreaking' to her and not global F1 or global boxing or global wrestling. The UK has sold Saudi's weapons for decades but buying 80% of a football club is the bit that's beyond the pale!? 

After Olympics and before winter Olympics in China, all the Chinese/Russian/Arab investment in scores of English clubs and businesses, World Athletics Championships in Qatar in front of 20people, World Cup in Russia, World cup in Qatar, PSG, Man City, WWE, Boxing, F1 - NUFC is the point where the fight back against taking the money of unpleasant regimes begins?! So they can all benefit but we cant? If we were the very first I'd agree but this s*it started 30years ago man.

PS Liverpool supported neavau riche Blackburn's quest to overhaul the hated Manchester United in the mid 90s.  I guess if its not a threat to them its okay.

there is a big difference between a local guy buying the club he supports and pouring money into the club to win things and whats happening with nufc 

1 hour ago, Wandy said:

Anyone been checking the forums of the other teams to see how this has gone down? I have..... and, apart from the peasants down the road, it's definitely Liverpool fans that are taking it the worst. The fuming is delicious. [emoji38]

I particularly liked this one...  

"This lot have always felt deserving of being at the top table. Even in the 70s (mad pitch invasions) and throughout  the first Kevin Keegan circus in the 80s with helicopters arriving in the middle of the park, they’ve always felt they were something that they weren’t. They were always “more passionate and better this and better that”.  Bollocks of course.
Of all the so-called “sleeping giants”, this one has always been a wankfest of a club. Wolves, Leeds,  or even Sunderland  have better credentials than this shower.
They’ve  rammed home the argument so much that they’re so passionate and loveable and this and that  that the press have bought into it and every man and his dog think that they “deserve” it. Well they don’t. And I’ll make a total U-turn on the way I felt only a few months back about the Super League. Anything to keep these nouveau riche arseholes out.
Hope the new signatories to the new Super league stipulate at least 2 European Cups won in 2 different decades. At least the red Mancs have got the credentials. That’s one place this lot, Chelsea and PSG can’t buy their way into."

"ME, ME, ME!!! I'M THE ONE WHO'S SPECIAL!!!"

On 29/09/2021 at 22:35, Fantail Breeze said:

I thought CAT’s write up of one of the panel members was interesting:

”Michael Cutting

Ordinary Member

Michael Cutting was from 1988 to 2018 a competition lawyer at Linklaters LLP, including terms leading its London and global competition practices. He also served terms on the Board of Linklaters and Co-chair of the Joint Working Party on competition law of the Bar and Law Society. His experience in private practice included UK and EU merger control, cartels, abuse of dominance and utility regulation. He is also a governor of a primary school in Tottenham and is a member of the Board and management committee of Islington MIND. ”

For me the CAT Case was 100% the reason the deal went through. PL knew they'd be exposed. 

A little bit of responsible journalism would be helpful in the coming days like. There's obvious reservations to be had away from the sporting side of things and a few influential journalists with some common sense could certainly verbalize this appropriately, without whitewashing anything, or pushing it under the carpet. It's gonna get a little bit tiring that our fanbase is being held to account by many.

Saudis are bad

Russians are bad

Americans are bad

British are bad

Qatar are bad

Mike Ashley was bad on a smaller level when it came to employment. 

Money corrupts. People reacted like this when Chelsea were bought. Then when City were bought. Now nobody really cares. 

This article while pointing out the moral issues is pretty much where I stand

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/oct/08/saudi-takeover-newcastle-united-england-football-capital

Little wonder, then, that most of Newcastle is delighted that they now have their own oligarchs to play with. Having been failed, as a city and a club, by the tepid reforms of New Labour’s regeneration programme, the rentier economics of local property developers and the low-wage, sweatshop capitalism of 21st-century retail billionaires, why wouldn’t you opt for foreign oligarchs and their fossil fuel investment funds? It’s precisely what a significant slice of the country’s elites have been doing for years.

There is an entire industry, overwhelmingly in London and the south-east, that has grown grotesquely wealthy on servicing the political and economic needs of the Gulf’s ruling families, and oligarchs and dynasties everywhere. From the banks that launder stolen money, to the accountants that then hide it; from the lawyers who resolve tricky domestic affairs to the PR firms mopping up the damage afterwards, and the estate agents that arrange to store your wealth in London’s empty residential skyscrapers. Our governments and arms industry have been hardly any better, barely able to censure the Saudi state for its human rights abuses, the murder of Jamal Khashoggi or its war in Yemen for fear of losing enormous arms sales and construction contracts. And yet now Newcastle United’s fans are meant to lead the fight for human rights?

There is another footballing world in which these kinds of odious compromises and contradictions could be lessened. The distribution of money within the Premier League and football more widely could have been more egalitarian. Systems of regulation and control could have put a break on the arms race of spending and the concentration of capital and footballing success. It would have been a world in which Newcastle’s phenomenally loyal support would have been an economic advantage rather than an irrelevance.

A properly regulated football would have drawn the line at Abramovich as an owner, let alone permit exiled prime ministers from around the world and the sovereign funds of authoritarian states to buy clubs. In fact, Newcastle United, and every other team, could have been passed into German-style social ownership.

However, at every turn, as with our wider economy and society, we have allowed the private to trump the public. We nurture and tolerate eye-watering levels of inequality, poverty and downward social mobility, and have long since made our peace with the power of capital, whatever its origins and actions. How many times do we have to learn the lesson that, if you continually deny people hope that this can change for the better, they will gravitate to those offering something different, however pernicious their real intentions, however false their prospectus?

6 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

The PL are getting off scot-free here like. Ultimately they approved the deal. I don't see anybody telling them what they did was wrong.

Unfortunately, that's the price of this going through. PL transparently kowtows to Bein and fucks over a member club, its fanbase, a city, and a region at its behest. No repercussions. 

I’ve often wondered what “whatabouterry” actually means but from Twitter today I can conclude it means “you have a fair point which sinks my argument but it doesn’t fit my agenda, so I’m going to dismiss it”

Just now, 54 said:

Love that the social Media Manager can now post shit like this :aww:

Being able to embrace our icons and legends that were ousted and treat like shit is fantastic. I hope they invite Jonas to be special guest at a home game soon, so he can get a huge SJP roar or whatever. 

6 minutes ago, OCK said:

Saudis are bad

Russians are bad

Americans are bad

British are bad

Qatar are bad

Mike Ashley was bad on a smaller level when it came to employment. 

Money corrupts. People reacted like this when Chelsea were bought. Then when City were bought. Now nobody really cares. 

Did they? I honestly can't remember this kind of uproar.

I’m not really sure people talking about rights are really blaming the fans in any way, are they? They’re not saying football fans are responsible for deciding either, just that the people we’re now owned by are very morally dodgy. 

I get that they should be asking these questions to the government and corporations and banks etc, but sadly that’s not how news works. 

8 minutes ago, Ashley17 said:

I’ve often wondered what “whatabouterry” actually means but from Twitter today I can conclude it means “you have a fair point which sinks my argument but it doesn’t fit my agenda, so I’m going to dismiss it”

:thup: Got sick of the word almost 18 months ago. :lol:

10 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I’m not really sure people talking about rights are really blaming the fans in any way, are they? They’re not saying football fans are responsible for deciding either, just that the people we’re now owned by are very morally dodgy. 

I get that they should be asking these questions to the government and corporations and banks etc, but sadly that’s not how news works. 

Had one today calling Newcastle fans Tories for celebrating this.

He was from fucking Gillingham.

Fuck.  Did Ashley scrap the half time hero? Can’t remember exactly when it ended.

Although I can’t really bear Colback and Anita being wheeled out as a double act in 5 years time.

3 minutes ago, Sima said:

Fuck.  Did Ashley scrap the half time hero? Can’t remember exactly when it ended.

Although I can’t really bear Colback and Anita being wheeled out as a double act in 5 years time.

What a time that was, teams ran straight past us as if they weren't there :lol:

I actually attended the incredibly random game of Bahrain vs Curacao a couple of days ago and Anita was playing in midfield for Curacao, we smashed them 4-0 and he was taking off after a disaster of a performance

Edited by Newcastle Fan