PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

Dunno about anyone else but I feel absolutely whacked today.

It's been such an intense few days, the longest-lasting intense amounts of emotion I've felt in years and years, arguably ever when it comes to the club. It's difficult to sum-up, my mind has been going at a million miles an hour about all the things associated with this takeover, the list of which is far far longer than "Ashley is gone yey," (though that is obviously number one). Surprise, elation, excitement, relief, optimism, trepidation, conflictedness, a sudden sense of responsibility, even some anxiety.

It's just been absolutely mad and I'm longing for the football to actually get here, cos another week of us all being totally intoxicated on the initial feeling - whilst also having to navigate our way around the debates we've all been thrown into, and coming to terms with the reality- is going to be absolutely exhausting. 

I don’t know if I can put this into words properly but hopefully I can. 

Does anybody else want to savour this? By that I mean, I’m not sure I want us to go from zero to 100 immediately. Not sure I want us to have instant success. I want this to last a long time. I want to enjoy us becoming great again. 

Am I the only one feeling this way? I know I should be grateful to be able to feel this way at all after the 14 years we’ve had. 

6 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

It's been such an intense few days, the longest-lasting intense amounts of emotion I've felt in years and years, arguably ever when it comes to the club. It's difficult to sum-up, my mind has been going at a million miles an hour about all the things associated with this takeover, the list of which is far far longer than "Ashley is gone yey," (though that is obviously number one). Surprise, elation, excitement, relief, optimism, trepidation, conflictedness, a sudden sense of responsibility, even some anxiety.

It's just been absolutely mad and I'm longing for the football to actually get here, cos another week of us all being totally intoxicated on the initial feeling - whilst also having to navigate our way around the debates we've all been thrown into, and coming to terms with the reality- is going to be absolutely exhausting. 

I feel the same, however Bruce sacking this week will give another topic of conversation to focus on as well.

1 minute ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Does anybody else want to savour this? By that I mean, I’m not sure I want us to go from zero to 100 immediately. Not sure I want us to have instant success. I want this to last a long time. I want to enjoy us becoming great again. 

Am I the only one feeling this way? I know I should be grateful to be able to feel this way at all after the 14 years we’ve had. 

I think we need to keep our feet on the ground a little and see what the next few weeks bring.  You'll get a decent idea of the level of investment and plan going forward by who they appoint in key positions.

Talk of spending tens of millions in January might not come to fruition and it's important that there's no ill feeling off the back of it.

It’s going to be mental getting wound up at small stuff like ref decisions and the small stuff again. Y’know the actual football. I’ve been so hung up on the big picture and culture with Ashley and how the team leadership has been beholden to that - it’s going to be so weird talking about who has the better final ball or goal record again.

1 hour ago, Ben said:

The club must be taking back control of hospitality 

It looks like it is still outsourced to Sodexo which was arrangement under Ashley, probably just good timing and with crowds likely to be at capacity well needed given issues on matchdays highlighted with lack of staff, food, drink and general 'commercial' presence.

1 hour ago, STM said:

Man, it's already happening. Staff are being hired rather than cut. This is great.

That picture of them at the long table talking to the staff at St James, spoke a thousand words to me. Engaging, approachable, interested and ambitious. So very normal but also lightyears from where we were a week ago.

My mate works for the foundation and was in the audience. He said their vision was outstanding.

25 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

whatever the train, journey and destination I’m on board and it’s all at their discretion. Just being able to watch newcastle again is my 1st step. I’ve seen 2 full games under Bruce so I need to pace myself and last 90mins. Is fan condition a thing? If so I’m lacking match practise. [emoji38]

I actually spent a while laying in bed thinking about the club. 

First up, about the uproar of the 19 other clubs demanding a meeting: let them have it.  However, all 20 clubs need to be invited.  After Super league debacle there should be no meetings without all 20 clubs being invited.

It's obvious that some clubs are pissed because there is a new player in the Big X club.  Other clubs may not be outraged about Newcastle and its Saudi ownership per se, but more curious about how this got pushed through so suddenly.  Man City will probably look on in amusement.

The rags are still rags and will beat on any drum that will get them clicks.  Everyone is well aware of Saudi Arabia's human rights failings. But let us not forget that a large segment of the media will use faux outrage for their own purposes.

Mehrdad and Amanda have the right idea.  Give to local charity,  begin to put local people to work at the club, and develop goodwill within the greater area.  A rising tide raises all boats and as the club begins to rebuild its stature so will the surrounding community. 

The only way to silence this backlash will be to one day at a time build a club that gives back and is shown to be a valuable part of the community.

oh yeah, and sack Bruce!

37 minutes ago, Darth Crooks said:

It’s going to be mental getting wound up at small stuff like ref decisions and the small stuff again. Y’know the actual football. I’ve been so hung up on the big picture and culture with Ashley and how the team leadership has been beholden to that - it’s going to be so weird talking about who has the better final ball or goal record again.

Great post this, I was thinking the other day about how I’d get hung up on little details in matches like substitutions, ref decisions, the starting 11 etc but could barely muster any interest ever since Rafa left. Can’t wait to start caring about football again 

37 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I know how you feel mate,  still seems unbelieveable.

Its unfair to ask the fans (as previously mentioned) about SA human rights abuses. This deflects the conversation from where it need to be - if I wanted to ask an unfair question, I would ask when was the last time a SA policeman raped and murdered a young woman? Or are the SA government as corrupt as ours (not the other way round)?

So ive had a few days to think about it, process it and ask myself what I want from these new owners.

I want the club (and the region) to hopefully realise the potential that is so clearly there. I want the hope back.

I genuinely think I would be happy with regular european football. But if, in the years ahead, we win the odd domestic cup or even mount a title challenge then that would be a dream come true.

Obviously its difficult not to get swept up in the wealth of it all, will we spend 100m on a player? more? Will we maximise our spending within FFP rules?  Will be win back to back titles and all that jazz?? Im not really fussed.

Give me a team that fights for their manager, fights for each other, that beguiles the fans with flashes of skill, that grafts when they need to, give me a team that tries. Give me hope. This is what football is about, isnt it?

Give me the hope and the club can have my heart.

1 hour ago, Consortium of one said:

I actually spent a while laying in bed thinking about the club. 

First up, about the uproar of the 19 other clubs demanding a meeting: let them have it.  However, all 20 clubs need to be invited.  After Super league debacle there should be no meetings without all 20 clubs being invited.

It's obvious that some clubs are pissed because there is a new player in the Big X club.  Other clubs may not be outraged about Newcastle and its Saudi ownership per se, but more curious about how this got pushed through so suddenly.  Man City will probably look on in amusement.

The rags are still rags and will beat on any drum that will get them clicks.  Everyone is well aware of Saudi Arabia's human rights failings. But let us not forget that a large segment of the media will use faux outrage for their own purposes.

Mehrdad and Amanda have the right idea.  Give to local charity,  begin to put local people to work at the club, and develop goodwill within the greater area.  A rising tide raises all boats and as the club begins to rebuild its stature so will the surrounding community. 

The only way to silence this backlash will be to one day at a time build a club that gives back and is shown to be a valuable part of the community.

oh yeah, and sack Bruce!

Yes. Its come to my attention from their fans recently that Man City got a lot more stick than I was aware about human rights, oil money and so on. It had previously seemed to me that it was pretty much universal praised their investment in the local area, around the academy etc. 

Its the same money from the same source but is seemingly okay going back into the community and not going into the first team side of things to critics.

If we'd been the first in any walk of life to shun investment like this I'm not sure anybody outside of us would have cared about the misery that would have been in its stead or heaped praise on us for our moral stance, most would continue slaughtering the area and ripping the p**s re Ashley. Really assuages me that.

Edited by Wolfcastle