PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

7 hours ago, Rafalove said:

So from being well ran? There is a difference to be fair between what they’ve done and what we’re about too.

Liverpool’s money came from their mega rich owners (I think called the Robinsons but may be wrong) who owned the National pools coupons. Basically the 70’s/80’s version of the current National Lottery.

They as a club had a great succession plan (The boot room) but make no mistake they were also the club with the wealthiest backers. They probably would’ve dominated even longer if it wasn’t for the fact the back pass to the GK was ruled out which brought an end to their success in the league until they won it under Klopp.

21 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Liverpool’s money came from their mega rich owners (I think called the Robinsons but may be wrong) who owned the National pools coupons. Basically the 70’s/80’s version of the current National Lottery.

They as a club had a great succession plan (The boot room) but make no mistake they were also the club with the wealthiest backers. They probably would’ve dominated even longer if it wasn’t for the fact the back pass to the GK was ruled out which brought an end to their success in the league until they won it under Klopp.

So were they responsible for bringing in Shankly? Always assumed Liverpool’s success was down to him just being brilliant. This might change the way I think of Liverpool now.

It was the Moores family who owned Liverpool. Shankley was brilliant and Liverpool built on that. They were a 2nd Div club until Shankley got hold of them in the 60’s.

Man U we’re already a force and the tragedy of Munich and the brilliance of the Busby heightened everything to the point that they cemented their place at the top forever.

There’d been dominate clubs before that but IMO Man U and Liverpool benefited from circumstances of the time. Romance for Man U and Liverpool hit the top just as the early 70’s, colour TV and wider coverage hit the masses. Might sound far fetched but if The Beetles had come from Leeds and Leeds hadn’t been such a hard team it could have been them.

What fans of Man U and Liverpool fail to remember and now take for granted is that they both could simply pick and choose the best players. The legacy from the late 60’s for Man U and early 70’s for Liverpool stayed with them even when other clubs had a good spell (Ipswich, Forest, Villa, Everton).

I'm probably being very simplistic with the above but Man U and Liverpool fans can both go fuck themselves if they believe they have a god given right to be at the top and haven’t took advantages of the time.

I actually think we will really struggle to attract top managers and players, I see more of a Leicester than anything else. When someone like Woodgate says it’ll be a difficult sell we should listen. It’s going to be a very long road, I just hope the owners and fans stick with it.

The BBC now sticking the knife in at every opportunity! This is the world famous racist Johnathon Woodgate!

Clubs "can't just buy success" and Newcastle fans are living in "dreamland" if they think they will sign top players like Kylian Mbappe, says former defender Jonathan Woodgate.

Newcastle have been linked with a host of players since being taken over in a £305m Saudi Arabian-backed deal.

Paris St-Germain forward Mbappe, Tottenham's Harry Kane and Barcelona's Philippe Coutinho have been mentioned.

Woodgate said it is already "difficult" to get players to Newcastle.

Last week, Newcastle became one of the richest clubs in the world after being sold by Mike Ashley, with comparisons being drawn with Chelsea and Manchester City who went on to achieve success after being taken over by wealthy owners.

Since the deal, the gossip columns have been filled with star names the club can now afford to sign, including France World Cup winner Mbappe, whose contract ends next summer and is expected to leave PSG.

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has warned it will take time, saying: "In five, six, seven years' time, if the owners are patient enough, Newcastle is a new superpower and they will have enough money to buy the whole league."

And Woodgate, who had a season at the club before joining Real Madrid in 2004, said on BBC Radio 5 Live's Friday Football Social: "If you look at it and what they (the owners) have to do, they have to build the infrastructure from the bottom over the years.

"If any player has got anything about him, he goes to Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester United. No disrespect to Newcastle, he ain't going up the road to them.

"It is hard enough trying to get players up to the North East, I know playing for Newcastle, Middlesbrough, Leeds, it is difficult to get players up there.

"All the top players have got money, they want to win trophies, they want to play in European finals, they want to get to World Cups, they don't want to come to Newcastle. No disrespect but I am right.

"Alan Shearer was a world-class player and signed for Newcastle because he is from Newcastle, he wanted to fulfil a dream. There are not many more world-class players in their pomp playing for that club.

"For the Newcastle fans to think they are going to get Kylian Mbappe and all these top players, it is dreamland, you have to build it. It isn't easy, you can't just buy success. It doesn't work like that in this league."

Winning "statement of the bleedin obvious award of the year"

Guest neesy111

There's not much wrong with he's said there.  Building towards success is what we need to do first to attract the highest calibre of players and it will take time.

He's wrong about attracting players to Newcastle though and the treatment of Bruce.

Edited by neesy111

Guest neesy111
Just now, TheHoob said:

NUFC fans expect to sign Mbappe is the new NUFC fans expect to be challenging for the top 4. 

The problem of relying on fucking Twitter for your views.

Re Liverpool, that stat about us having won more trophies than Liverpool on the morning of the 74 Cup Final is so depressing like :lol:

Looked it up just now and Chronicle article says we were on 11 to their 10 before that final. 

"Before the fateful cup final kicked off, in terms of major honours, Newcastle United were actually more successful than Liverpool.

The Magpies had 11 trophies in the bag, while the Scousers had ten.

The four decades since then, of course, have seen the Reds amass an incredible array of silverware, while the Toon remain perennially potless."

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/lifestyle/nostalgia/newcastle-united-nostalgia-forgotten-match-8029446

"If any player has got anything about him, he goes to Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester United. No disrespect to Newcastle, he ain't going up the road to them" said Woodgate

Is this the same Jonathan Woodgate who went 'up the road' to join us :lol:  Getting sick of the media trying their best to belittle us at every opportunity. Guarantee at lunchtime Merson and his fellow pisshead pundits will slag us off on Soccer Saturday :angry:

You would have said the same about Man City in 2008. What top player would want to join them when they haven’t won anything. End of the day, money and success talks. If we’re winning trophies and paying the best wages, players will come. 

7 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

Re Liverpool, that stat about us having won more trophies than Liverpool on the morning of the 74 Cup Final is so depressing like :lol:

Looked it up just now and Chronicle article says we were on 11 to their 10 before that final. 

"Before the fateful cup final kicked off, in terms of major honours, Newcastle United were actually more successful than Liverpool.

The Magpies had 11 trophies in the bag, while the Scousers had ten.

The four decades since then, of course, have seen the Reds amass an incredible array of silverware, while the Toon remain perennially potless."

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/lifestyle/nostalgia/newcastle-united-nostalgia-forgotten-match-8029446

The year I was born, Newcastle were the second most successful club in English football, behind Aston Villa.

The narrative is being written about how difficult it will be to attract talent. I’d be happy with any trophy and forays into Europe. I’m not sure PIF would be, I’ll be honest, I’m a bit flabbergasted that this actually went through.

The appointment of a top DOF is paramount as is a clear long term plan.  Getting us on the correct path is key.

1 hour ago, Interpolic said:

The pundits can keep saying top players won't want to move to Newcastle all they like, really adds to that 90s vibe :lol:

They are about as w r o n g as it is possible for anyone to be, about anything. It's not even a "90s" thing, more like 60s, perhaps!!!

The things the morons like Woodgate/Merson etc just do NOT seem to know (or don't WANT to know) . . .

(1) The City of Newcastle upon Tyne is one of the UKs most important Regional Capital Cities. It is a famous place, that many, many people would love to live in and work in.

(2) It is a LARGE City, the 7th largest conurbation in the entire UK. It has a compact 'City Centre' but it is a large place with better amenities (of all types) than almost anywhere else.

(3) Our City Centre is one of the most beautiful you can ever find in a big business-based commercially successful City Centre, anywhere in the UK. It is not a museum-like "toytown" like York, it is an impressive big-business high quality architecural and historic (and also modern) location. It is a place to aspire to live and work in.

(4) We often - lazily - get 'lumped in' with places like Sunderland and Middlesbrough when the difficulties of attracting players is discussed. This happens when Woodgate-type 'national commentators' speak, but is also enthusiastically leapt on when the unfortunates from the likes of Sunderland and Middlesbrough speak. They will happily say "the North East" has difficulty attracting players, whereas in this aspect - as in so many others - the famous City of Newcastle (the Newcastle Metropolitan area) and Newcastle United FC, have very little in common with many other parts (and football clubs) of the North East. Just ask the likes of Ginola, Asprilla, Robert, Ferdinand, Saint Maximan, etc, etc, etc. WE are different from those other places, we have always comfortably attracted the best from all over the country and the world, and (boy) it is going to be E V E N  E A S I E R, from now on.

(5) In summary, our Club and our City are a huge draw, and no matter how frequently the idiots recite their enthusiastic L I E S, it will not make them true!

(I do all this stuff for a living - so I know these things)

In conclusion . . . "Hail Newcastle United FC, the biggest and the best club in the world" . . . GET USED TO IT YOU MORONS OUT THERE !!!!!!!!!

Edited by manorpark

We shouldn't be wanting the likes of Mbappe anyway :lol:

I've stayed away from most of the pundit coverage but I can imagine the gist of it. At the end of the day it would take a monumental fuck up on the part of the owners for us to not be at least challenging with the top 4 within a few years. We obviously need a good DOF and a top manager then spend the next few windows building the backbone of a competitive side alongside the rewards of a hopefully improved academy. Spunking our FFP allocated budget on 1 player would be insane. The main focus of spending within the next few years should be with improvements in infastructure and staff as well as building up the NUFC brand overseas.

Yeah, really really hopeful of a more organic approach to the growth of the club, but still with serious investment. Man City always had a very artificial feel to it. I'm aware that that could still happen here but I hope we stay somewhat grounded. The Mbappe stuff has been a total cringe from the beginning. 

24 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

It was the Moores family who owned Liverpool. Shankley was brilliant and Liverpool built on that. They were a 2nd Div club until Shankley got hold of them in the 60’s.

Man U we’re already a force and the tragedy of Munich and the brilliance of the Busby heightened everything to the point that they cemented their place at the top forever.

There’d been dominate clubs before that but IMO Man U and Liverpool benefited from circumstances of the time. Romance for Man U and Liverpool hit the top just as the early 70’s, colour TV and wider coverage hit the masses. Might sound far fetched but if The Beetles had come from Leeds and Leeds hadn’t been such a hard team it could have been them.

What fans of Man U and Liverpool fail to remember and now take for granted is that they both could simply pick and choose the best players. The legacy from the late 60’s for Man U and early 70’s for Liverpool stayed with them even when other clubs had a good spell (Ipswich, Forest, Villa, Everton).

I'm probably being very simplistic with the above but Man U and Liverpool fans can both go fuck themselves if they believe they have a god given right to be at the top and haven’t took advantages of the time.

I actually think we will really struggle to attract top managers and players, I see more of a Leicester than anything else. When someone like Woodgate says it’ll be a difficult sell we should listen. It’s going to be a very long road, I just hope the owners and fans stick with it.

Man utd have always been a buying club, from Cantona to pallister to veron and Cole, all big transfers with money behind them, they hate to be reminded of it as they get blinded by fergie bringing the kids through but they have always spent bigger than anyone else

There would have been less restrictions for City too back then aye? My memory is foggy of how they grew.

But aye I think growing organically is our best bet given we're limited somewhat in the transfer market. We cannot waste money with huge signings when the rest of the squad is largely shite, we'll just suffer for it in future windows.

Edited by Hanshithispantz