PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

6 hours ago, LFEE said:

What’s actually wrong with getting dressed up out of interest?

People need to seperate themselves from other sections of the fanbase so the can be like "look, they are the thick ones, but the rest of us are great!"

The abuse the lad wearing the saudi garb has gotten is absolutely ridiculous like and it's embarrassing that our own fans are joining in on it.

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

People need to seperate themselves from other sections of the fanbase so the can be like "look, they are the thick ones, but the rest of us are great!"

The abuse the lad wearing the saudi garb has gotten is absolutely ridiculous like and it's embarrassing that our own fans are joining in on it.

We shouldn't celebrate Saudi-Arabia. Which is what the great majority of our fanbase understands, but sadly not all.

Some would argue that the Saudi robes are representative of the Saudi people and not the Saudi Government. Bare in mind the vast majority of Saudis are perfectly nice people, who are presumably very proud of their countries history.

Edited by STM

Just now, Rompe said:

We shouldn't celebrate Saudi-Arabia. Which is what the great majority of our fanbase understands, but sadly not all.

So we can all fund the likes of the PIC through various means but we cannot take the piss out of it?

Like I don't really understand where people are drawing this moral line.

If it's so horrific that even so much as wearing a towel on your head or jokingly waving a Saudi flag is complete taboo then honestly the rest of the country are correct and we shouldn't even be supporting the takeover.

So we can all fund the likes of the PIC through various means but we cannot take the piss out of it?

If it's so horrific that even so much as wearing a towel on your head or jokingly waving a Saudi flag is complete taboo then honestly the rest of the country are correct and we shouldn't even be supporting the takeover.

I agree with your last sentence, we shouldn't support it.

And what is the difference in jokingly waving a Saudi flag and waving it sincerely, and how do you tell from the outside? It's the optics, you can't tell whether it's done as a joke or in complete seriousness and it looks horrible either way.

9 minutes ago, Rompe said:

7 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Fans wearing Saudi attite need calling out and educating as to why it isn't an acceptable thing to do.

I agree strongly with the above two. It's also about perceptions; it'll be used as a stick to beat us with by so many others fans and media outlets so maybe just don't give them any ammo? 

Just now, STM said:

Some would argue that the Saudi robes are representative of the Saudi people and not the Saudi Government. Bare in mind the vast majority of Saudis are perfectly nice people, who are presumably very proud of their countries history.

I mean yes this is true, absolutely. But no matter how much you may think "I'm not celebrating the regime, I'm celebrating Saudi culture" literally nobody will have a chance to air that view coherently.

You'll just be videoed with a towel on your head and everyone will call you a dickhead and say our fans are supporting murderers. There'll be no 30-minute nuanced, balanced interview to accompany your costume. Maybe just don't give them the chance to show you like that? 

And because it's so clear this is what the media will say when they see you, this is why other fans get angry and call you a cunt because you're not just painting yourself as a dickhead, it's the image that will be used to be representative of us all as a group.

Most of us are really tired of the stereotypes us fans get tarred with so it's especially annoying when you see someone helping make it worse.

I just think it makes us look like we're more interested in celebrating the extremely questionable origin of our new wealth, rather than us having a sense of "getting our club back" and/or being as aware and as sensitive as possible to what's happening in that part of the world, which is suddenly relevant to us. It's culturally insensitive and makes us appear complicit in the blatant sportswashing. The media has jumped on it and presented the impression that we're all a pile of bootlickers, which isn't something I think is actually true of the vast, vast majority of the fanbase. 

Tbh I don't know the ins and outs of the arguments around cultural appropriation but, regardless, it just seems totally unnecessary when there are other ways to enjoy what's happened. 

9 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Again, it's about perceptions.

You might be "jokingly" waving a Saudi flag but the media and other fans will just paint it as "Newcastle fans support murdering regime, want success at all costs, only after the money" etc 

Just don't give them the chance to do that to us? It's not like it's difficult to NOT wave a Saudi flag. It's easy to avoid doing these things. 

And some of our fans may think "I don't care what people think about us" but plenty of us do care, strongly, so that's where other fans' anger comes in. Let's be united and just maybe not do shit that could make us look stupid on an international stage?

31 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Fans wearing Saudi attite need calling out and educating as to why it isn't an acceptable thing to do.

Why do they need calling out though? And what exactly do they need educating on?

Honestly it seems parts of our fanbase have gotten caught up in the manufactured hysteria. And again, where do we draw the line? Should we hand out leaflets to anyone entering SJP explaining what their ticket money may be helping to fund? Or is it all cush as long as you're not having a laugh while doing it?

Like this isn't me being contradictory for the sake of it, it just looks like we're essentially bullying people over completely arbitrary moral lines that we just made up in the past few days.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

I just don't see the point in stressing over what fans are going to be wearing or whether there will be Saudi flags on display. We can't control every single fan, so a few divvies will inevitably turn up worse for wear, quite literally. We are going to get slaughtered in general for the next few months for being associated with the Saudi regime, better get used to it. If you are going to let it destroy your enjoyment of rebirth as a football club, better to just stay away in my view. Watch Liverpool or Man City games instead. 

13 minutes ago, Rompe said:

I agree with your last sentence, we shouldn't support it.

And what is the difference in jokingly waving a Saudi flag and waving it sincerely, and how do you tell from the outside? It's the optics, you can't tell whether it's done as a joke or in complete seriousness and it looks horrible either way.

I mean you could make an educated guess that it's a joke. I would be suprised if the lad photographed on the front pages was being serious.

Like I'm not saying we should all be out wearing tea towels, but at the same time we should be able to recognise that those who are aren't necessarily these cartoonishly stupid mouthbreathers that they're being painted as.

Like this isn't me being contradictory for the sake of it, it just looks like we're essentially bulkying people over completely arbitrary moral lines that we just made up in the past few days.

If you think "Don't do anything that might embarrass us on an international stage" is arbitrary, we're not going to get anywhere, ever. But surely it's just common sense? And so incredibly easy to do. In fact it takes effort and planning to do the embarrassing stuff, actual thought has to go into it. Maybe just put the tea towel back down and don't take it to the ground?

We've been humiliated and mocked as a fanbase too many times, don't give them free shots in a day the whole world will be watching. And if anyone does, it's perfectly fair for the more sensible fans to try and protect our reputation by calling this shit out and challenging it.

4 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Why do they need calling out though? And what exactly do they need educating on?

Honestly it seems parts of our fanbase have gotten caught up in the manufactured hysteria. And again, where do we draw the line? Should we hand out leaflets to anyone entering SJP explaining what their ticket money may be helping to fund? Or is it all cush as long as you're not having a laugh while doing it?

Like this isn't me being contradictory for the sake of it, it just looks like we're essentially bulkying people over completely arbitrary moral lines that we just made up in the past few days.

Who has the right to tell anyone else what they should / shouldn't be doing, Its a football game ffs, nothing good will ever come of stopping drunken fans wearing whatever attire they see fit & "educating" them, if they choose to wear a Thawb or other associated attire, who has the right to stop to them & tell them they're wrong ? I will tell you, no one, Just live & let live ffs we do still live in a democracy I think.

8 minutes ago, TRon said:

I just don't see the point in stressing over what fans are going to be wearing or whether there will be Saudi flags on display. We can't control every single fan, so a few divvies will inevitably turn up worse for wear, quite literally. We are going to get slaughtered in general for the next few months for being associated with the Saudi regime, better get used to it. If you are going to let it destroy your enjoyment of rebirth as a football club, better to just stay away in my view. Watch Liverpool or Man City games instead. 

100%

I think its pretty obvious wearing Saudi dress or carrying the flag is terrible optics if nothing else. Its could very easily be construed as endorsing what is a barbaric regime.

Some fans are obviously uncomfortable with that and don't want the association with the willfully ignorant.

7 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I mean you could make an educated guess that it's a joke. I would be suprised if the lad photographed on the front pages was being serious.

Like I'm not saying we should all be out wearing tea towels, but at the same time we should be able to recognise that those who are aren't necessarily these cartoonishly stupid mouthbreathers that they're being painted as.

That's the entire point though - other fans and the press absolutely will think that about us 

And you blame alcohol in advance but it's not like you can get drunk and just stumble across a tea towel or a Saudi flag, this takes a level of planning and intent. And it makes ALL of us look like the very worst things the press and other fans say about us.

The people watching us, other fans and media, are looking to humiliate us. Let's not help them.

Edited by Chris_R

3 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

That's the entire point though - other fans and the press absolutely will think that about us 

And you blame alcohol in advance but it's not like you can get drunk and just stumbled across a tea towel or a Saudi flag, this takes a level of planning and intent. And it makes ALL of us look like the very worst things the press and other fans say about us.

Fuck other fans and the press to put it bluntly. It's their problem not ours.