PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

Just now, TRon said:

Fuck other fans and the press to put it bluntly. It's their problem not ours. 

If you live in a little bubble of just Newcastle, and only post here and don't talk to other fans in real life, and don't read newspapers, sure.

For the rest of us it is our problem though. Some of us give a shit about how we're perceived.

13 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I think its pretty obvious wearing Saudi dress or carrying the flag is terrible optics if nothing else. Its could very easily be construed as endorsing what is a barbaric regime.

Some fans are obviously uncomfortable with that and don't want the association with the willfully ignorant.

You know that will happen though.

and they won’t be ‘supporting’ the regime in their thick heads so it’s not worth stressing about -

30 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Again, it's about perceptions.

You might be "jokingly" waving a Saudi flag but the media and other fans will just paint it as "Newcastle fans support murdering regime, want success at all costs, only after the money" etc 

Just don't give them the chance to do that to us? It's not like it's difficult to NOT wave a Saudi flag. It's easy to avoid doing these things. 

And some of our fans may think "I don't care what people think about us" but plenty of us do care, strongly, so that's where other fans' anger comes in. Let's be united and just maybe not do shit that could make us look stupid on an international stage?

This is what I mean though, the outrage from the media and other clubs is completely manufactured and by 'calling our own fans out' we're just joining in on it.

Guest reefatoon
11 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

If you live in a little bubble of just Newcastle, and only post here and don't talk to other fans in real life, and don't read newspapers, sure.

For the rest of us it is our problem though. Some of us give a shit about how we're perceived.

See, I would swing that the other way around and say it’s a little bubble of folks on here talking about it. Away from the media, it’s really only a small percentage on here that I am seeing and hearing about it. Talking to people face to face from work etc it’s not even brought up. These are people who support other clubs too. It’s been all about the football, no mention of human rights at all. It’s been all about who is going to be the new manager, new players and stuff like that.

16 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Good luck with trying to make them happy then. 

Hint: you won't. They'd prefer Newcastle to have remained shit under Ashley. Perhaps morally that would have been the right thing to do while enjoying Man City and Chelsea's wonderful football. 

For me....nah. They can get to fuck and take Keys and Souness with them. 

9 minutes ago, RS said:

I wish Ashley was still here. I mean fuck the club but I’d feel a lot better about how the rest of the world feels about us. 

I would care if it was genuine however, most of it is bitterness and jealousy dressed up as caring.

Newcastle United v The World. It’ll be sweeter when we’re actually decent mind and not getting humped every week. 

9 minutes ago, RS said:

I wish Ashley was still here. I mean fuck the club but I’d feel a lot better about how the rest of the world feels about us. 

I would care if it was genuine however, most of it is bitterness and jealousy dressed up as caring.

Newcastle United v The World. It’ll be sweeter when we’re actually decent mind and not getting humped every week. 

As the title of one of our threads says, we can be delighted and relieved Ashley has gone, but also realise Saudi Arabian ownership isn't the best ethically.

We have nothing to feel guilty for, I don't care what other fans, media or other selected people who want to slag us off say.

We've been ridiculed for nothing more than wanting to be run properly, for our club and us to be treated with a miniscule amount of respect. Treated differently than all other clubs, for wanting something normal.

So today I'll be smiling, embarrasingly I might even shed a tear when the lads first walk out. For a couple of hours I won't care about ethics about who or what our owners are. I'm going enjoy being free of one of the worst men ever associated with our club.

I won't be ashamed, I won't feel guilty. Yes that might be wrong in some eyes, tough, today is about our club breathing the free air of no Ashley.

Edited by Bimpy474

49 minutes ago, TRon said:

Good luck with trying to make them happy then. 

Hint: you won't. They'd prefer Newcastle to have remained shit under Ashley. Perhaps morally that would have been the right thing to do while enjoying Man City and Chelsea's wonderful football. 

For me....nah. They can get to fuck and take Keys and Souness with them. 

I agree. I just don't think we should give them free ammo by dressing up in fucking tea towels.

You can not give a shit what people think whilst still not actively sabotaging our image.

Plus, let's be honest, whilst I've tried to come at it from the angle of protecting our image, ultimately it is distasteful. No matter how anyone might say "I'm celebrating Saudi culture not the regime" it's clearly NOT the image it gives out, and frankly it's a shit image because they've got a fucking terrible human rights record that we should in no way be venerating or normalising.

People are absolutely right to be aghast at fans waving Saudi flags, those fans need to get some self awareness and stop being idiots. This is not a country we should be putting on a pedestal.

There seems to be a lot of straw men in here. We 100% shouldn't feel guilty. It isn't on us as fans, to decide who owns our club unfortunately. It's the Premier League and the Government who have allowed the horse to well and truly bolt on that front.

That isn't the argument though. Its simply that some fans are uncomfortable with the celebration of KSA, given their human rights abuses, etc. Other fans won't give a shit, it will depend on your own moral compass where you draw the line.

58 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

This is what I mean though, the outrage from the media and other clubs is completely manufactured and by 'calling our own fans out' we're just joining in on it.

What does manufactured mean? Most of the media who are raising this as a topic also raised it about the Man City/PSG owners. You're about a post away from mentioning "virtue signalling"

2 hours ago, David Edgar said:

Fans wearing Saudi attite need calling out and educating as to why it isn't an acceptable thing to do.

Disagree personally. I think you are looking far to deeply into their actions. Let them have their bit fun. Life’s hard enough as it is.

If you are precious about the tea towels stay away from town . I've saw many already,  football fans having a laugh. Fuck off to miserable land , the flag however I'm uncomfortable with , my choice.

Nada , zip, nothing will spoil my day today , whatever the result this is the start of an Ashley free club. The day we always wanted .

2 minutes ago, RS said:

Nufc crested Arab headgear selling like hot cakes around town

Get me one, I’ll PayPal you it back plus postage costs!

Meh, in a much bigger point, it's the first match day of a new era at last , no-longer under Mike Ashley. Today should be a party atmosphere and I'm sure it will be. I don't think the players or some of the younger fans will have every seen or felt anything like it. It doesn't matter about the result or Bruce being in charge, we're back and nothing and nobody will take that away! :indi::indi::indi: