PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

7 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

Putting aside the moral issues around Saudi human rights, wahhabist ideology and support of terrorism the 'tea towel' thing is just embarrassing and potentially offensive to Arab people. 

I'm sure I've read somewhere that the people in KSA who'd seen people outside St James in Arab dress when the takeover went through thought it was great actually, they liked that their culture was being embraced.

(And by embracing their culture, I don't mean the human rights issues, before someone has an aneurism).

Edited by Armchair Pundit

29 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

I agree. I just don't think we should give them free ammo by dressing up in fucking tea towels.

You can not give a shit what people think whilst still not actively sabotaging our image.

Plus, let's be honest, whilst I've tried to come at it from the angle of protecting our image, ultimately it is distasteful. No matter how anyone might say "I'm celebrating Saudi culture not the regime" it's clearly NOT the image it gives out, and frankly it's a shit image because they've got a fucking terrible human rights record that we should in no way be venerating or normalising.

People are absolutely right to be aghast at fans waving Saudi flags, those fans need to get some self awareness and stop being idiots. This is not a country we should be putting on a pedestal.

Wearing a tea towel for a laugh might be a bit distasteful, but it's a lot better than selling arms to our partners in Saudi Arabia to bomb kids in Yemen. They're so horrible yet we still do it, and all of us including the critics benefit from it due to the ££s rolling in. If some fans want to be guilt tripped into being miserable about the takeover, fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I can't be arsed with selective moral outrage though, for me the takeover is brill. I do not give a shit about other fans, none of them gave a shit about us over the last 14 years. 

12 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

Putting aside the moral issues around Saudi human rights, wahhabist ideology and support of terrorism the 'tea towel' thing is just embarrassing and potentially offensive to Arab people. 

It's a traditional Arab attire and has nothing to do with ideology.

Edited by Newcastle Fan

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Wearing a tea towel for a laugh might be a bit distasteful, but it's a lot better than selling arms to our partners in Saudi Arabia to bomb kids in Yemen. They're so horrible yet we still do it, and all of us including the critics benefit from it due to the ££s rolling in. If some fans want to be guilt tripped into being miserable about the takeover, fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I can't be arsed with selective moral outrage though, for me the takeover is brill. I do not give a shit about other fans, none of them gave a shit about us over the last 14 years. 

Perfectly put 

13 minutes ago, TRon said:

My thoughts exactly. I'm so hyped about the match today, it's been great, Sunday's rituals back to how they used to be for me - MotD first thing with a brew, sticking an acca on perhaps and then actual excitement and pleasure rolling in from looking forward to our match. I don't care about anything else, it's a day of pure joy and I'm loving it!

1 minute ago, sh74 said:

No but he'd look good doing it.

The Ashley years though have taken their toll on him, turning his lovely flock of hair grey, mind least he has a head of hair, I lost mine during the Ashley years, the cunt!

I seem to remember fans adorning curly perm wigs, during the Keegan/Terry Mac days. All good fun.

I have my reservations about our new owners, but for those who don't I see no reason for them not to be welcoming to our new owners. And this seems to be the way of the average football fan.

59 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

FFS

So frustrating, but so inevitable. You just know even if they are the only ones in the entire stadium dressed like that the cameras will find and highlight them.