PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

Just now, Hanshithispantz said:

It's assuming most people regardless of culture aren't all complete children.

We had the opposite recently, where plenty were insisting that Uruguayans should be offended by a nickname Cavani gave to Fernandes.

Can remember when we reached the FA Cup final and Ruud Gullit was manager, my mate wanted some to wear dreadlocks in honour so bought a mop head from a hardware store along with some black dye. Didn't end well, came out patchy grey/blue, didn't dry in time for kickoff and ruined me mams bucket. 

Happy days. [emoji38]

Mind, I have a great deal of sympathy with Mexicans, constantly being referred to as Venezuelans, Paraguayans, Spanish etc.

13 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Let's flip this around and imagine some Brit booting off about Mexicans wearing old Victorian attire and fake drinking tea after Richard Branson takes over Cruz Azul. They would get absolutely tortured. I hope any Mexican crying over people wearing sombreros would receive the same over there.

We don’t dress in Victorian attire and totally different. That’s a pathetic argument.

Love it when people with absolutely no knowledge of a culture try and tell that culture what they should and shouldn’t be offended by.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

I understand that they probably aren't offended (might do with all the beer being thrown around mind but hey ho), to me it's like the rich Sage bloke taking over some French club and them all being pissed up and gurning "whey aye mans" at the cameras. It's OK in a very short measure of passion and emotion, after that it's just tedious and irritating.

Anyone who feels offended should feel privileged with the opportunity to feel offended. Being offended is all the rage these days. I mean these days it's perfectly acceptable to be offended on behalf of another culture. Great stuff.

Meanwhile, while the left indulges in this absurd wokeism or virtue signalling affair, the rest of the country collectively says "fuck that", at the polls and we end up with a malevolent conservative government who do real damage to people's lives.

1 minute ago, STM said:

Anyone who feels offended should feel privileged with the opportunity to feel offended. Being offended is all the rage these days. I mean these days it's perfectly acceptable to be offended on behalf of another culture. Great stuff.

Meanwhile, while the left indulges in this absurd wokeism or virtue signalling affair, the rest of the country collectively says "fuck that", at the polls and we end up with a malevolent conservative government who do real damage to people's lives.

To be honest and this should maybe go in the general chat section, the right are regularly the most offended but see their being offended as the only legitimate one.

35 minutes ago, STM said:

Probably been mentioned but I seem to remember everyone including the media having a chuckle when we had a French day including fans dressed in berets and onions.

France must be the only country left that you are allowed to culturally appropriate.

Eh Paddy’s Day? 

Personally I thought it was a cop out way of asking people to stop as it looks like sportwashing in action and it provokes negative reactions whether it's harmless or not. I suspect they want to let shit like this die down...

-----------

SNP MP John Nicolson, who sits on the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport committee, said he felt for the widow of murdered journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

He said during a hearing: "I'm trying to imagine what it must be like to be Jamal Khashoggi's widow, when her husband has been chopped up and murdered.... and she sees numpties dancing around in cod-Arabic dresses outside Newcastle United. That must be heart-rending.

"It made me, as an outsider watching it, think there was nobody who could have taken over that club - no matter the level of evil of the person who took over - that would have resulted in anything other than celebration for large numbers of Newcastle supporters.

"That's a kind of sickness at the heart of football, isn't it?"

--------------

The Arabic Keffiyeh has religious and tribal connotations but I think he’s be too gentlemanly to complain or even be offended. Personally I thought it was a bit of a laugh but it’s old already. 

7 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

HOPEfully it was Puke

Think you misunderstood my sarcasm :lol:

The idea that Newcastle fans being happy about the takeover, is somehow condoning human rights abuses is disgusting.

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

Some RTG level posts about “wokeism” and “the left” :anguish:  can’t that stay in politics and not in here? Just keep this for football decisions. They asked people not to dress up, it really is that simple. The club did. It wasn’t “wokeism” “cancel culture” or “the LEFT”. The club did it. Move on. Any adult man who dresses up is attention seeking and ridiculous anyway. This is good that they’ve issued a statement 

Exactly this 👍

3 hours ago, ManDoon said:

Some RTG level posts about “wokeism” and “the left” :anguish:  can’t that stay in politics and not in here? Just keep this for football decisions. They asked people not to dress up, it really is that simple. The club did. It wasn’t “wokeism” “cancel culture” or “the LEFT”. The club did it. Move on. Any adult man who dresses up is attention seeking and ridiculous anyway. This is good that they’ve issued a statement 

Exactly. No idea why the wokeism stuff is being discussed. The club, who is owned by Saudi Arabians have asked people not to do it. It's not complicated. 

5 hours ago, Klaus said:

Think you misunderstood my sarcasm :lol:

The idea that Newcastle fans being happy about the takeover, is somehow condoning human rights abuses is disgusting.

No I knew what you meant was just my sarcasm as Puke had been ringing his town crier bell yesterday. Totally agree with your sentiments also.

Edited by et tu brute

9 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

We don’t dress in Victorian attire and totally different. That’s a pathetic argument.

Love it when people with absolutely no knowledge of a culture try and tell that culture what they should and shouldn’t be offended by.

They can be offended all they like, it would just be completely irrational.

If you want to be an incessant busy body telling people what they can and cannot do on behalf of others then crack on, I'm sure you hit the mark sometimes. I'm just saying in this case there's clearlly no malice to the dress up, and it's highly likely that the vast majority of Saudis are mature enough to not care about it. You seem to be the expert on Arabic culture though so by all means educate me on why I should be dismayed at this.

Edited by Hanshithispantz