PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

18 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

But I don't think many people are actually offering un-nuanced opinions? There's been 1 or 2 but most posters have been discussing what they think of our attempts in the window, I haven't seen much genuine negativity towards the new owners.

Overall, I can't begin to wrap my head around those people moaning about 'only 2 signings', DOF taking too long etc. Check yourselves man. They've bought the shell of a football club with no soul, heart or infrastructure.

Like it's perfectly reasonable to 'moan' about only 2 signings because we're very likely going to get relegated. I just cannot see the benefit of not being critical when there's obvious reasons for it. It's not being unappreciative.

Is it really reasonable to moan about 'only 2 signings so far'?

Compare that to what we've been used to and who we're currently in talks with after signing Trippier...

A bit like driving a Y reg fiesta for 14 years and then moaning about your Ferrari's self parking function taking 2.6 seconds too long to reverse park imho.

There's pretty much two easy to understand, a bit extreme responses.

The first is, because Ashley was so bad, those who saved us from him would be treated as absolute heroes and every action or inaction would be explained away, in a blind faith sort of style.

The other reaction is that after Ashley some people will simply not trust an ownership again and will jump to the conclusion that things like the constant positive messaging then not actually resulting in anything are malicious.

7 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

Compare that to what we've been used to and who we're currently in talks with after signing Trippier...

A bit like driving a Y reg fiesta for 14 years and then moaning about your Ferrari's self parking function taking 2.6 seconds too long to reverse park imho.

People can smile as we get relegated all they want like. If there's legitimate critisism to be made though then I don't get why we shouldn't make it?

We're struggling in the transfer market and it's obviously not just becuase it's January and we're in a bad league position.

3 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

CO1 basically illustrated my point beautifully. And I agree their has but calling people bedwetters is full on RTG over not even remotely whinging posts. 

Read that as being about the reaction, but 🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

I think its OK to point out the negative.  There are decisions that could have gone better.  I wish we had more certainty but the reality is that we don't.  I'm a bit prickly today and I'll admit it but the, IMO, OTT negativity is, well, annoying.

Just now, Hanshithispantz said:

People can smile as we get relegated all they want like. If there's legitimate critisism to be made though then I don't get why we shouldn't make it?

We're struggling in the transfer market and it's obviously not just becuase it's January and we're in a bad league position.

I'm not sure folks will be delighted with the idea of relegation but I'd hope it's a small pothole on a long journey.

I think it depends upon the context of the legitimacy tbh. In fact, this whole argument is probably a context thing and very much about your starting point regarding the new ownership...I think they deserve patience and gratitude. To be critical of them already when they are clearly well intentioned feels incredibly harsh/demanding to me.

As for the transfer market struggles......yes perhaps but I think theres context required there too;

1) We're going after players that are far better than Ashley's/Charnleys shortlists and therefore their clubs don't want to sell. Possibly at all but certainly not mid-season.

2) If the new owners first window was a summer window, I think they'd be wowing us with their efficiency imho because they're clearly open to business for good good footballers.

3) Covid is a complication in terms of squad size.

4) The World Cup might also be a factor for players getting game time now, worried about joining a new club with a different style, in a different country and with a manager known to be careful regarding bedding in new players.

5) The whole world thinks we are 'Super Rich' and adds a Saudi tax.

6) We cannot sign players out of contract with big signing on fees which is something we probably would've done with say Lingard if this was a summer window.

7) We don't yet have a DOF/CEO with experience of this shit.

8) The new owners are brand new to this.

9) The end of the window will certainly see more movement for all clubs. It's a shame we desperately needed bodies for Watford and Leeds because they'll have more faces in by the time the window closes. That's nature, supply and demand - everything heats up towards the end of the window.

Overall, I'm happy to give the benefit of the doubt.

2 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

I'm not sure folks will be delighted with the idea of relegation but I'd hope it's a small pothole on a long journey.

I think it depends upon the context of the legitimacy tbh. In fact, this whole argument is probably a context thing and very much about your starting point regarding the new ownership...I think they deserve patience and gratitude. To be critical of them already when they are clearly well intentioned feels incredibly harsh/demanding to me.

As for the transfer market struggles......yes perhaps but I think theres context required there too;

1) We're going after players that are far better than Ashley's/Charnleys shortlists and therefore their clubs don't want to sell. Possibly at all but certainly not mid-season.

2) If the new owners first window was a summer window, I think they'd be wowing us with their efficiency imho because they're clearly open to business for good good footballers.

4) The World Cup might also be a factor for players getting game time now, worried about joining a new club with a different style, in a different country and with a manager known to be careful regarding bedding in new players.

6) We cannot sign players out of contract with big signing on fees which is something we probably would've done with say Lingard if this was a summer window.

9) The end of the window will certainly see more movement for all clubs. It's a shame we desperately needed bodies for Watford and Leeds because they'll have more faces in by the time the window closes. That's nature, supply and demand - everything heats up towards the end of the window.

I think most people are giving them the benefit of the doubt. They aren't expected to be footballing gurus. I just think there are certain areas where they have gotten it clearly wrong which are being pointed out.

3 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

If we weren't going to be relegated imminently then I would completely understand the critisism towards people 'wanting it all now', but we actually do need it all now [emoji38]

it feels like that, but it's not true is it? After the window closes, we'll still have 17 games left. We will have our work cut out, but with the best signings possible, we'll have a decent stab at avoiding relegation. 

9 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

I won't be delighted by relegation, but at the beginning of the season we were destined to relegation, who lnows if the consortium would have still bought us, but assuming the best and they did We'd be in the same position that we now face. Only we have Trippier and Wood. Plus a chance to sty up.

Edited by Happinesstan

Just now, ManDoon said:

I’m worried what the PL would do in our absence mainly. We’d piss the division like. 

Yeah, I don't want to go down like, at any cost. I expect us to throw everything at the window over the next week up until deadline day to make sure we don't. 

It might feel like we are dragging our heels, but I still think we'll push the deals through if push comes to shove. 

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

I’m worried what the PL would do in our absence mainly. We’d piss the division like. 

I certainly share that concern. I think, if the PL were honest, they'd prefer us out of it for a year to bring in all sorts of new rules limiting our potential should we come straight back up.

18 minutes ago, Consortium of one said:

I think its OK to point out the negative.  There are decisions that could have gone better.  I wish we had more certainty but the reality is that we don't.  I'm a bit prickly today and I'll admit it but the, IMO, OTT negativity is, well, annoying.

I guess it's fine but, fuck me, enjoy some positivity for once man [emoji38].

We'll have years to ponder over the things that go wrong, the things they get wrong and whether they're any good as owners. For now, give them their heads and embrace having owners that appear to care.

I keep finding myself getting frustrated with transfers, the ups and downs of the Carlos deal for example. Then I give myself a step back and look at the bigger picture.

We have our club back, we have ambition back. Worst case scenario is that we drop down to the championship, whereby we assemble the most expensive and best squad the championship has ever seen and we (hopefully) come straight back up.

It's annoying, it's frustrating and there are short term circumstances which are holding us back but it's temporary.

Just now, STM said:

I keep finding myself getting frustrated with transfers, the ups and downs of the Carlos deal for example. Then I give myself a step back and look at the bigger picture.

We have our club back, we have ambition back. Worst case scenario is that we drop down to the championship, whereby we assemble the most expensive and best squad the championship has ever seen and we (hopefully) come straight back up.

It's annoying, it's frustrating and there are short term circumstances which are holding us back but it's temporary.

:thup:

24 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

I mean I'd love to avoid relegation but if we don't, pride aside it would be fun as fuck. 

Thing for me is whilst logic suggests we'd come back up since we won that league that last three times we were in it, this is football and I'd far sooner not take the chance. It isn't a certain thing.

Blackburn only scraped up by the skin of their teeth after throwing record sums of money at it and Derby did likewise and missed out.

44 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Obviously can't speculate on that but I'd be massively surprised if there's anything that could be legally done that could ever restrict our ability to complete on any level, if that's what you're implying.