PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

32 minutes ago, LFEE said:

I agree. Nothing wrong with the statement. Think the debate has been why we’re they forced to make it in the first place. Club just covering their arse which is fair enough in the world we live in now. It will die down. Especially at home games. Can imagine a few still at the next away game but they will grow tired of it once the novelty has worn off.

Covering their arse :lol: 

It literally tells you that’s it’s culturally inappropriate 

1 minute ago, Thomson Mouse said:

So they’ve released at statement asking people not to. It’s not difficult.

They have, but it’s more about PR and fending off criticism of them/the club when fans do, they are basically absolving themselves of any part in it, it’s kind of sports washing ironically. I think personally as much as I’d rather fans didn’t, especially with the Saudi flags, dressing up in fancy dress shouldn’t be deemed racist or anything else ugly. It’s not like they are turning up in Nazi uniforms… again I know many Arabs, some from Saudi Arabia and they generally couldn’t give a fuck. It’s a stick to beat the club and fans with ultimately.

I am really pleased the new owners finally gave him the boot. Like I've said in my earlier posts, I was rather unimpressed when they let him stay on for the Spurs game. He never should have.

Whilst there's a tiny, tiny part of me that actually feels sorry for Bruce making such a fool of himself, for the most part he agreed to making himslef a scrap goat in return for £8 mill pay off.

Anyone of the backstaff could have been in the dugout against Spurs, and there's no way they've done worse. I do agree with Bruce - he's done as a manager in PL. This was his last "crack".

Eventhough many fans probably had hopes and backed him up initially, most of N-O knew he'd fail miserably merely based on his record.

Anyway, someday I'll probably forget he even managed Newcastle. Pretty much sums it up.

7 minutes ago, HTT II said:

They have, but it’s more about PR and fending off criticism of them/the club when fans do, they are basically absolving themselves of any part in it, it’s kind of sports washing ironically. I think personally as much as I’d rather fans didn’t, especially with the Saudi flags, dressing up in fancy dress shouldn’t be deemed racist or anything else ugly. It’s not like they are turning up in Nazi uniforms… again I know many Arabs, some from Saudi Arabia and they generally couldn’t give a fuck. It’s a stick to beat the club and fans with ultimately.

I mean, what could be be misinterpreted from what the club said? It really isn’t difficult.

No-one mentioned Nazis or anything else. It’s plain as day from that, don’t wear ‘Arab clothes’ as it will offend.

It might not be your mates or the Saudi’s at the ground, but it’ll be beamed back to SA and whether you like it or not we’re connected with them.

Why would the club be beating itself with a stick?

Edited by Thomson Mouse

"could you stop doing this one very specific thing that's a tad offensive and even moreso embarrassing to everyone with more than 3 braincells at the club?" 

a normal person: "yeah sure, okay, it was a bit daft wasn't it."

tribe of petulant northeast manchildren: "actually it's hurting no one and it's in good fun and i know several arabs and furthermore ..."

Regardless of whether anyone is offended, there is no need to go to the match dressed as an absolute twat. 

I have no doubt the owners have put an early end to it before some idiot takes it too far (consciously or not) and wears something totally inappropriate.

Sensible statement, well worded, without making a big issue of it.

It's funny how you forget something for your entire life, until somebody says something and Bang! It's there.

Back in 1979 we were in Tunisia and the women of my family were spat upon, by Tunisian women, for the way they were dressed ,typical holiday wear.

Was always something that fascinated me, and yet the memory has never been triggered in any conversation pertaining to the oppression of Muslim women.

It was, as i said, back in '79, and cultural appropriation wasn't a thing [certainly not to me], but I was quite sympathetic to their feelings, if a little disgusted by their response.

Not using this to represent Muslim women in any way, or even to make a point. I just think it can be tricky to respect the culture of another when you've no idea how the other feels about their culture.

2 minutes ago, thomas said:

"could you stop doing this one very specific thing that's a tad offensive and even moreso embarrassing to everyone with more than 3 braincells at the club?" 

a normal person: "yeah sure, okay, it was a bit daft wasn't it."

tribe of petulant northeast manchildren: "actually it's hurting no one and it's in good fun and i know several arabs and furthermore ..."

That’s it :thup: 

3 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

It's funny how you forget something for your entire life, until somebody says something and Bang! It's there.

Back in 1979 we were in Tunisia and the women of my family were spat upon, by Tunisian women, for the way they were dressed ,typical holiday wear.

Was always something that fascinated me, and yet the memory has never been triggered in any conversation pertaining to the oppression of Muslim women.

It was, as i said, back in '79, and cultural appropriation wasn't a thing [certainly not to me], but I was quite sympathetic to their feelings, if a little disgusted by their response.

Not using this to represent Muslim women in any way, or even to make a point. I just think it can be tricky to respect the culture of another when you've no idea how the other feels about their culture.

pretty sure they’ve made it perfectly clear how they feel about their culture there.

6 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

I mean, what could be be misinterpreted from what the club said? It really isn’t difficult.

No-one mentioned Nazis or anything else. It’s plain as day from that, don’t wear ‘Arab clothes’ as it will offend.

It might not be your mates or the Saudi’s at the ground, but it’ll be beamed back to SA and whether you like it or not we’re connected with them.

Do we know it offends though and I’m not arguing against it, I’m just thinking a few dafties dressing up isn’t racist or offensive or should be classed as such and me, if people are offended it’s akin to people being offended by women wearing the hajib, again it’s not like they are wearing fucking Nazi uniforms or dressing up in attire Jewish concentration camp prisoners wore while being sent to their deaths. I’ll wait until the kingdom of SA kick off about some dafties wearing tea towels on their head before I condemn anyone as being culturally inappropriate/racist. I notice the club haven’t mentioned anything about fans waving Saudi flags about… 

Edited by HTT II

4 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Do we know it offends anyone though and I’m not arguing against it, I’m just thinking a few dafties dressing up isn’t racist or offensive or should be classed as such and me, if people are offended it’s akin to people being offended by women wearing the hajib, again it’s not like they are wearing fucking Nazi uniforms or dressing up in attire Jewish concentration camp prisoners wore while being sent to their deaths. I’ll wait until the kingdom of SA kick off about some dafties wearing tea towels on their head before I condemn anyone as being culturally inappropriate/racist. I notice the club haven’t mentioned anything about fans waving Saudi flags about… 

Is this not an issue, though?

Referring to, or mimicking, someone’s national dress as a ‘tea towel’? That’s pretty disrespectful in itself.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

7 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Do we know it offends anyone though and I’m not arguing against it, I’m just thinking a few dafties dressing up isn’t racist or offensive or should be classed as such and me, if people are offended it’s akin to people being offended by women wearing the hajib, again it’s not like they are wearing fucking Nazi uniforms or dressing up in attire Jewish concentration camp prisoners wore while being sent to their deaths. I’ll wait until the kingdom of SA kick off about some dafties wearing tea towels on their head before I condemn anyone as being culturally inappropriate/racist. I notice the club haven’t mentioned anything about fans waving Saudi flags about… 

Why are you persisting?

The people from a certain country who now own the club have explained that people from their country won’t like the dressing up thing. 

They’ve told you that. Maybe it’s time to go ‘yeah ok, sorry, didn’t realise. As we’re decent people we won’t do it again.’

Edited by Thomson Mouse

1 minute ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Why are you persisting?

The people from a certain country who now own the club have explained that people from their country won’t like the dressing up thing. 

They’ve told you that. Maybe it’s time to go ‘yeah ok, sorry, didn’t realise. As we’re decent people we won’t do it again.

TBH I don't think it will be much of a problem. That's not to say I don't appreciate the statement. But they also acknowledged that they understood, and appreciated it as a welcoming gesture. There might be one or two, in the next week, who haven't heard the statement, but after that it is wholly idiotic to continue.

3 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

The whole ‘meat’ of your comment was summed up in the last sentence - they’ve told you how they feel.

That wasn't a summation of any kind. In fact my last sentence made that clear.

The meat of my comment clearly indicated that my anecdote had nowt to do with how one should behave in the event of having your football club bought out by a royal family.

It's comparable to the Queen telling the world how she feels about British culture. I have made no objection to the statement, I support it 100%.

Edited by Happinesstan

‘Hur hur it looks like a tea towel’ and strapping a tea towel to your head is definitely not respectful and I doubt it goes down well - however intentioned.

Problem is some people lack the ability to self reflect whatsoever and so all behaviour is a good idea because it’s how I feel/felt at the time.

1 minute ago, Darth Crooks said:

‘Hur hur it looks like a tea towel’ and strapping a tea towel to your head is definitely not respectful and I doubt it goes down well - however intentioned.

Problem is some people lack the ability to self reflect whatsoever and so all behaviour is a good idea because it’s how I feel/felt at the time.

Pretty sure it's a carry over from the nativity.

21 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Why are you persisting?

They’ve told you that. Maybe it’s time to go ‘yeah ok, sorry, didn’t realise. As we’re decent people we won’t do it again.

Context is everything…

I don’t think some fans dressing up in this context is racist, culturally inappropriate or ugly and unless you can provide evidence that the Kingdom of SA/the Arab world would wholly disagree, I’ll be content to accept that it’s just harmless stuff from a few delirious fans that, once the novelty wears off, will die off. Again, I’ve noticed the club hasn’t advised fans not to fly a Saudi flag or banner… now that I find ugly and totally inappropriate and offensive to me anyway based on my own moral compas and unhappiness that SA for example commit human atrocities on its citizens. 

As for the club’s statement, again it’s their way of saying hey, stop criticising us/the club when and if fans turn up dressed up because we’ve stated we would prefer it if they didn’t, let’s not pretend this isn’t some crusade of theirs to stamp out some very weak claim against cultural inappropriateness regarding Saudis and Arabs when they sell alcohol to the very same fans which to a random Saudi would ACTUALLY be culturally inappropriate to them. That and again they haven’t condemned anyone flying a Saudi flag or banner.

If it offends you because it may offend others, or you deem it culturally inappropriate or racist or ugly, fair enough, but don’t use it as a stick to beat down some random fans - who aye in an ideal world wouldn’t dress up, in the same way fans wouldn’t sing your support is fucking shit, or in your Liverpool slums - but they shouldn’t just be condemned for simply dressing up. And nor should the club or owners. It’s a big can of worms if so, people find women wearing the hijab offensive, people find women not wearing the hijab offensive. 

Edited by HTT II

21 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Is this not an issue, though?

Referring to, or mimicking, someone’s national dress as a ‘tea towel’? That’s pretty disrespectful in itself.

You’re right it is, I’m just paraphrasing, though basically.