PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

Great reading the stories about our progression under the 90’s most of which I wasn’t aware of. Does anyone have any proof of any of this? Just when people say we “outsold Liverpool”, it seems unbelievable to be honest. Any non Newcastle fan reading this would think we’ve gone full rtg.

Edited by Rafalove

That mid 90s era was such a wild ride. I was about 14 or 15 at the time and wish I was a little older to appreciate it more but I have so many great memories. It felt like we were on top of the world, the pride we had in the team, our city, our region; it was immense. Everywhere you went in the country, once people got a hint of the accent, they all wanted to talk about the football and how much they loved watching us and how amazing the fans were. It made you feel ten foot tall. 

3 hours ago, HTT II said:

Aye our whole street and neighbouring streets (except us because we were tramps), no-one employed, all suddenly had Sats on their house walls. The growth of NUFC and SKY is tied together from the early 90s. Or rather the product that is the PL today. We were Box office, even at the cinema!

Yep. For those that didn’t get the reference the club pioneered beam backs for 3pm KO’s due to demand for away games with the help of NTL who became our sponsors for a bit. Initially held at the club but increased in size to the local Odeon cinema also. The lockout derby was beamed back to a sold out Arena even and atmosphere was legendary according to family (I actually was inside Roker Park for the game) 

11 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

That mid 90s era was such a wild ride. I was about 14 or 15 at the time and wish I was a little older to appreciate it more but I have so many great memories. It felt like we were on top of the world, the pride we had in the team, our city, our region; it was immense. Everywhere you went in the country, once people got a hint of the accent, they all wanted to talk about the football and how much they loved watching us and how amazing the fans were. It made you feel ten foot tall. 

Everywhere in the world TBH. 

Remember the cinema screenings as well, class stuff. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

I also think that for my generation who were spoilt by having experienced the Keegan era so vividly growing up it has made it all the more harder to put up with the monumental decline and neglect of the Ashley era and keep going. I know personally that as I was watching this abject dross with zero prospects, in the back of my mind my 15 year old self, drunk on love and pride and emotion for the club was gnawing away at me. I just couldn't bare to see what we had become and the only thing I could do was walk away from not just NUFC but football in general. That's how intense the Keegan years were for us teenagers back then. It was everything.

46 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

I also think that for my generation who were spoilt by having experienced the Keegan era so vividly growing up it has made it all the more harder to put up with the monumental decline and neglect of the Ashley era and keep going. I know personally that as I was watching this abject dross with zero prospects, in the back of my mind my 15 year old self, drunk on love and pride and emotion for the club was gnawing away at me. I just couldn't bare to see what we had become and the only thing I could do was walk away from not just NUFC but football in general.

That's how intense the Keegan years were for us teenagers back then. It was everything.

It was absolutely no different - no less intense - for ANY generation of Newcastle United supporters who experienced that era, and the shortly afterward Sir Bobby Robson era.

No difference at all.

2 hours ago, pedro111 said:

Aye I remember going to the Odeon for the games it was packed. That fit lass from Metro Radio used to host it or something. Went to loads of beam backs at SJP too. 

I went to watch games a number of times with mates and would go absolutely nuts when we scored, doing little dances on the stage area. It was always great fun and I kinda wish clubs still showed matches in cinemas in some shape or form! Awesome memories.

11 hours ago, robbo_11 said:

What a throwback - remember being at a match against Chelsea and I'm sure Dmitri Kharine was playing for them. We won which was a positive!

He used to always wear trackie bottoms, never trust a keeper in trackie bottoms. 

1 hour ago, Raconteur said:

Outrageous generalisation - trackies 100% of the time to protect the knees.

Nope.

A keeper needs to be brave. If he's worried about getting a scuffed knee then he belongs in a 5 aside team down Dunston Pits not playing in the premier league

2 hours ago, Northerngimp said:

He used to always wear trackie bottoms, never trust a keeper in trackie bottoms. 

Julien Speroni.....played at Dundee when I lived up there and ended up at Palace. Very definition of Dodgy Keeper. 

Never trust a keeper who wears trackies

7 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Julien Speroni.....played at Dundee when I lived up there and ended up at Palace. Very definition of Dodgy Keeper. 

Never trust a keeper who wears trackies

Who was the Chelsea keeper years ago ?

14 hours ago, pedro111 said:

Aye I remember going to the Odeon for the games it was packed. That fit lass from Metro Radio used to host it or something. Went to loads of beam backs at SJP too. 

My dad used to take me and my bro we were like 5 and 7 at the time it would be great to have something like that available again 

Anyone remember going to the arena for the mackem away game for the beam back. 11,000 people there, no away fans allowed at roker Park. 96/97 season so I'd have been 12 or 13. It was absolutely class like.

Limiting sponsorship to the likes of everton villa leeds etc is just wrong.  Their crowd averages are 10k to 12k fewer than NUFC.  We average 50k and liverpool 53k man city 52k so by my reckoning we should be classed in that group!  This is just the big 6 trying to restrict our ability to grow the club.  The other 12 clubs see us as perennial relegation fodder which safeguards one place for them in the EPL.  The Monopolies commission needs to look into this! 

Just now, Ankles Bennett said:

Limiting sponsorship to the likes of everton villa leeds etc is just wrong.  Their crowd averages are 10k to 12k fewer than NUFC.  We average 50k and liverpool 53k man city 52k so by my reckoning we should be classed in that group!  This is just the big 6 trying to restrict our ability to grow the club.  The other 12 clubs see us as perennial relegation fodder which safeguards one place for them in the EPL.  The Monopolies commission needs to look into this! 

There’s no way that could be used as the benchmark. At the very least it would need to be some kind of average, really it would have to be significantly higher than the highest ever to be reasonably judged unfair. 

The whole idea is full of holes.