PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

Aye, there will come a time when one or more top flight clubs take the PL to court.

The Governing body have essentially created a vague set of rules that limits a private entity from spending based on its income, whilst simultaneously limiting how it can increase that income. I don't see how it complies with anti-competition law.

Edited by The Prophet

28 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Nah, not having that at all.  I’d go crackers if we win the LC - and no chance would I want to reduce the number of competitions 

I'd be happy if we won it but I'd also get rid of it. Never really saw the point if it in the first place, even less so now.

36 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Without having looked into how many games it would end up being, then yes ideally every team from PL to the lowest league level enters the same round.

If that ends up being an unreasonable amount of games over a season then I may have to retract my statement :lol:

Having all in at once may be a bit far. Definitely have all league clubs and National league join in the same round though.

3 hours ago, Yorkie said:

More than 700 teams compete in the FA Cup. You'd need about ten rounds! 

Mind you West Didsbury & Chorlton (a) sounds canny.

If 700 teams enter the first round, 350 are eliminated. How many are currently eliminated in the first qualifying round?

3 hours ago, Conjo said:

If a PL team wins both League & FA cup they'll play either 11 or 12 games depending on which round of the League Cup they enter.

PL clubs currently [not this fucked up season] play 5 rounds in the LC before entering the FA cup in the 3rd round, so there are 12 games at the moment. If your idea is to replace the League Cup then the games will probably be similar.

I do think it will limit te opportunities for lower league clubs to progress though, so it's probably a bad idea.

3 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

At some point the other clubs need to grow some bollocks and mount a legal challenge.  And I include our own in that - fuck playing their stupid FFP games.  The whole thing has become a racket. 

It's been a racket for a long time. 

Howay with the four posts in a row. :lol: use the multi quote function. 

Anyway, the qualifying rounds are surely a good thing because it provides revenue opportunities for teams in the 8th/9th/10th tier to play several games; rather then being immediately disposed of in some dead rubber tie, by someone from the National League system and upwards. 

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

That would require me to know what I'm going to say in reply to posts I've yet to read. Sounds like a facility for the contrived. 

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Anyway, the qualifying rounds are surely a good thing because it provides revenue opportunities for teams in the 8th/9th/10th tier to play several games; rather then being immediately disposed of in some dead rubber tie, by someone from the National League system and upwards. 

I did acknowledge this, in my second, and longest, post of the four. Yet you appear to have missed it. Who knows what you might have missed if they'd all been in one post.

I suppose it would be too much to ask for the sake of easy content to make the Europa/Confrence Leagues - cups like the UEFA/Cup Winners. Cuts down the number of games and number of uninteresting games massively.

Added bonus would be people might actually care about those competitions again and differentiating it from the Champions League instead of just being a D and F version of it. There's a reason why those competetions get infinitely more interesting in the latter stages - use it.

Edited by Wolfcastle

Having read the full Ziegler article now, there's not much about the 'new deal' to like, inevitably. 

I suppose I wouldn't hate the idea of teams competing in Europe being given the option to not participate in the League Cup, in order to ease congestion. It would be degrading to the competition of course but not as degrading as insisting they only played the stiffs.

It's impossible not to be totally cynical about the league-based alterations. Whatever is proposed you know it's entirely motivated by the idea of pulling up the drawbridge. 

11 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Having read the full Ziegler article now, there's not much about the 'new deal' to like, inevitably. 

I suppose I wouldn't hate the idea of teams competing in Europe being given the option to not participate in the League Cup, in order to ease congestion. It would be degrading to the competition of course but not as degrading as insisting they only played the stiffs.

It's impossible not to be totally cynical about the league-based alterations. Whatever is proposed you know it's entirely motivated by the idea of pulling up the drawbridge. 

You can see legal battles in the not to distant future.

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

If teams at that level get drawn away will they make a profit or loss from it ?

Also by getting the league teams involved earlier, though I agree with them not being in from the start, those lower teams have a better chance of getting larger teams in the draw thus getting a real pay day.

3 hours ago, Happinesstan said:

PL clubs currently [not this fucked up season] play 5 rounds in the LC before entering the FA cup in the 3rd round, so there are 12 games at the moment. If your idea is to replace the League Cup then the games will probably be similar.

I do think it will limit te opportunities for lower league clubs to progress though, so it's probably a bad idea.

Some years yes, some years no. I'd also want to increase the price pool to be bigger in the starting rounds so that smaller clubs get more than before, and that the ultimate price isn't monetary as such, but CL participation.

It would also become a proper cup worth paying attention to.

3 hours ago, Wolfcastle said:

I suppose it would be too much to ask for the sake of easy content to make the Europa/Confrence Leagues - cups like the UEFA/Cup Winners. Cuts down the number of games and number of uninteresting games massively.

Added bonus would be people might actually care about those competitions again and differentiating it from the Champions League instead of just being a D and F version of it. There's a reason why those competetions get infinitely more interesting in the latter stages - use it.

Tin foil hat time…the lesser European competitions help maintain the status quo for the Champions League clubs. The teams which are closest to challenging for CL spots are playing mid week in the arse end of Russia then back in their domestic leagues at the weekend.

On 20/09/2022 at 22:53, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

:lol: Imagine an all-in no qualifiers FA Cup man.

Man City going full strength against fat Al's Dog and Duck side :lol:

Would look great on the teleprinter mind. 

Man City 72 (SEVENTY-TWO) - Fat Al’s Dog and Duck 0

Always loved the caps lock YES WE FUCKING MEAN THIS MANY GOALS on Grandstand

38 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Bassong, there’s a player you don’t hear much about in relation to NUFC these days. Glad he’s still got a positive connection to the club 

The current regime probably why all these ex-players having positive connection with the club, unlike our shitty owner previously, they actually reach out to all the ex-players

Would probably need to go pretty far down the list of players to get back in contact with before Amanda thinks 'hang on, what's Sebastien Bassong doing on Saturday?'

Edited by KDT