PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

1 minute ago, Whitley mag said:

I find it hard to believe this guy isn’t just a front for the state, if you look at his net worth he can’t afford Man U. This is just a way to get the deal through to avoid complications with PSG ownership.

I said it on here during the WC (and I know I wouldn’t be the only one to think this) that once the WC is over, PSG has had its use for the Qataris and they’ll buy into the PL.  PSG was to win vital votes from France & Platini, but ultimately its a failure - no-one outside of France gives a solitary shite about Ligue 1 and they never will.  It’s a money sink for them. 

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I said it on here during the WC (and I know I wouldn’t be the only one to think this) that once the WC is over, PSG has had its use for the Qataris and they’ll buy into the PL.  PSG was to win vital votes from France & Platini, but ultimately its a failure - no-one outside of France gives a solitary shite about Ligue 1 and they never will.  It’s a money sink for them. 

100% Paris will still hold appeal its a glamorous place to own a football club and they have certainly grown the brand. Bit let’s face it nobody is giving them their money back on PSG. They know the PL’s where it’s at and just want to extend their power base in European football. 

8 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I find it hard to believe this guy isn’t just a front for the state, if you look at his net worth he can’t afford Man U. This is just a way to get the deal through to avoid complications with PSG ownership.

Possibly but do they hold a long term interest in football now the WC is over? If it was a state purchase why not go via Qatar Sports Investment and the Redbull route as skulking around in the shadows takes away the prestige of ownership (isn’t that what it’s about)? Why not bid for Chelsea who were a fire sale if after a PL club (no one knew Man U would become available). Also could mean Man U at risk of breaking PL rules concerning shadow directors would they risk that seeing the PL is willing to take on rule breakers?  Guess we’ll find out if the win the bidding.

Out of the frying pan into the fire comes to mind. No doubt they have a few shillings but they won’t be able to siphon money in through other places, but they don’t necessarily need that. The club makes plenty.

What that club has needed since probably a few seasons before Fergie left was good decision making.

They need a Dan Ashworth and he’s already taken so regardless of money and influence, the real currency is talent behind the scenes and there’s a massive shortage of that in football.

We’re in a good place regardless of what we win or don’t this season. It’s only starting.

Agreed.  A Man Utd unencumbered by the Glaziers’ ludicrous leveraged debt repayments will be an even bigger monster.  It’s a massive club with huge revenue streams already - it doesn’t need a boost.  Though I’d expect the Qataris will likely rebuild the ground and training facilities.

Ultimately, they’re the biggest club in the country and likely always will be.  A properly run Man Utd isn’t fannying around in 3rd/4th/5th year on year. 

2 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

Of course he's a front for the state - he is a member of their Royal Family - it is ludicrous for anyone to say otherwise.  However, watch this sale get swiftly approved by the PL.

11 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

Not a bad thing for us if the Qatari’s by the mancs, you’ll find quite a few high profile football commentators come down off their moral high horse if this goes through.

Also whilst the Qatari’s have been the most corrupt fuckers in world football, I don’t think it’s a bad thing to lessen the yank influence on the league. 

Oh don't worry, there'll be no chance of that. Gary Neville et al will just say that "it's important that we have the conversation" at that'll be that.

3 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Who wants to let Tariq know that there is nothing in the PL rules about clubs being owned by a state …

True but wouldn't it mean bin Salman would have to pass the owners and directors thing ?

3 minutes ago, madras said:

True but wouldn't it mean bin Salman would have to pass the owners and directors thing ?

Yes - and while the test does allow for failing the test if you’d have been convicted elsewhere, ultimately it was about piracy.   They prove MBS is the state, the state backed BeOUTQ, MBS therefore involved in piracy, which would have led to conviction in the UK (though of course he’d never have been convicted in KSA).  It was a convoluted way to hammer them on piracy.

There is zero chance that the PL starts an international diplomacy issue otherwise - they knew that PIF would never allow MBS to be ‘convicted’ of piracy by the PL.  They would have also known that the PL was unlikely to pin the murder of Khashoggi, or multiple violations of international law, or state-sponsored oppression of minority groups etc.  The PL’s only sense of morality or ethics applies to its own interests. 

10 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Agreed.  A Man Utd unencumbered by the Glaziers’ ludicrous leveraged debt repayments will be an even bigger monster.  It’s a massive club with huge revenue streams already - it doesn’t need a boost.  Though I’d expect the Qataris will likely rebuild the ground and training facilities.

Ultimately, they’re the biggest club in the country and likely always will be.  A properly run Man Utd isn’t fannying around in 3rd/4th/5th year on year. 

Those leveraged debt payments didn't stop them splashing out on Pogba, Maguire, Ronaldo...

Whoever takes over Man Utd will spend lots of money. How rich they are doesn't worry me, it's how well-run they end up being, that's what will make the difference. 

1 hour ago, RodneyCisse said:

Anyone got Oliver Holts objection to the bid from the Qataris… Or does that not suit the agenda in his paper?

It was nice to Miguel Delaney having a pop, despite supporting them.

Adam Crofton on the other hand, yikes.

Edited by The Prophet

Bizarre to say the least, extremely unfair on Howe to be put in that sort of position. I understand that they want someone with a position of influence to do something but that’s not Howe’s responsibility, he’s a football manager and it’s pretty disgraceful to put something like that on him 

30 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Media stirring the pot with a final coming up. Some people seem intent on us not succeeding more than anything else.

Maybe they’re intent on publicising the story of the man facing torture and execution? 

Guest reefatoon
14 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Maybe they’re intent on publicising the story of the man facing torture and execution? 

If he is intent, then I will be interested to see all his other pieces on it then. Not just the part about some people trying to take a letter to Eddie Howe.

The whole story is utterly horrific, I read it on the AI website a few days ago:

https://www.amnesty.org/en/documents/mde23/6441/2023/en/

I’m not convinced that Howe is the appropriate target for the letter mind, though I’ve obviously no issue with anyone trying to highlight the case - it almost feels cowardly to target Howe though; if anyone at the club should be the target of the letter then it’s the owners, not the manager.