PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

16 minutes ago, christ said:

Someone trying to hand Howe a letter bothers me much less than some of the shit our owners are into.

So give the letter to the owners, the premier league or the uk government (or all three) What the fuck can Howe do about any situation. He's a football manager nothing more. Not aimed at you by the way, just the point you raise. 

The club and Howe have signed up to pro Saudi Arabia PR (E.g. the training camps in Saudi, the Saudi themed kit) so the club can hardly complain when they get a bit of negative PR back on the same angle. Howe was happy enough to appear in the adverts for the Saudi airline…

Also the comedy in this thread of someone being rightly called out for homophobia, but the same posters jumping to defend a regime that makes being gay a crime…

Personally I like the club is getting £££ and want to take the £££, but no way will I defend such an awful regime or criticise those who call the Saudis out.

1 minute ago, WilliamPS said:

The club and Howe have signed up to pro Saudi Arabia PR (E.g. the training camps in Saudi, the Saudi themed kit) so the club can hardly complain when they get a bit of negative PR back on the same angle. Howe was happy enough to appear in the adverts for the Saudi airline…

Also the comedy in this thread of someone being rightly called out for homophobia, but the same posters jumping to defend a regime that makes being gay a crime…

Personally I like the club is getting £££ and want to take the £££, but no way will I defend such an awful regime or criticise those who call the Saudis out.

So what can Howe do about the letter then? If you want something done then ask the people who can actually possibly do something about the situation to consider the letter. 

Are people really suggesting that Howe, with his position as manager of NUFC, can text / call / have an-person discussion with his boss, the chairman / the Gov of the PIF who then will further have a discussion with MBS himself? 

23 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

So give the letter to the owners, the premier league or the uk government (or all three) What the fuck can Howe do about any situation. He's a football manager nothing more. Not aimed at you by the way, just the point you raise. 

He can’t do anything, but that’s not the point is it? It’s about generating awareness of what’s going on in Saudi. 

3 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Are people really suggesting that Howe, with his position as manager of NUFC, can text / call / have an-person discussion with his boss, the chairman / the Gov of the PIF who then will further have a discussion with MBS himself? 

Yes, I’d already had it with Howe for not resolving the Yemen humanitarian crisis but this was one step too far for me

No, obviously not. It’s a PR stunt to highlight the Saudi justice system.

It worked as it got coverage in a national newspaper 

The same way the Saudis want to use Nufc to highlight postive PR about Saudi, people against the Saudi regimes ownership of Nufc can use the club to highlight negative PR about Saudi arabia

30 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Howe is obviously the wrong person to target. At the same time he knew exactly what he was signing up to when he took the gig.

Yes, he was signing up to be manager of Newcastle United, an opportunity that comes along once in a lifetime. He wasn't signing up to endorse dismemberment of journalists, shock horror. Just like fans like you aren't signing up to it either if you go to St James to watch your team play football.

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

Yes, he was signing up to be manager of Newcastle United, an opportunity that comes along once in a lifetime. He wasn't signing up to endorse dismemberment of journalists, shock horror. Just like fans like you aren't signing up to it either if you go to St James to watch your team play football.

I'm not suggesting that he endorses or is to blame for the actions of KSA. What I am saying is that if he thought he wouldn't face any form of scrutiny for choosing to be an employee of an arm of KSA, he's either as thick as pig shit or the naivest man under the sun. I'm sure he's neither.

It's not really about raising awareness with the proper channels. They know exactly what MBS is all about, co-sign on it, and we wouldn't even know about it or be talking about it if a letter was presented to them - you may as well present it to the bin. It's about raising public awareness.

Howe's as powerless to change anything as the rest of us, but he chose to take the job and these kind of PR stunts are likely to be the price on the ticket every now and again.

Whether these things are productive or counterproductive overall is up for debate like - I'd probably say they're counterproductive with our fanbase, but productive outside of the fanbase. Either way I'm hardly going to get on my high horse about the act of someone giving a letter to Howe while simultaneously ignoring all of the heinous shit contained in the letter itself, the stuff that's the root cause, to blame, and the driving factor in all of it.

It's a pretty strong case of don't shoot the messenger.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Guest reefatoon
1 hour ago, christ said:

He can’t do anything, but that’s not the point is it? It’s about generating awareness of what’s going on in Saudi. 

At the embarrassment of Howe though.

Where do you draw the line though? BAE Systems have numerous contracts with Saudi, Qatar, Oman etc. 

Are we expecting workers there to front up to MBS? MBDA's weapons are built in Stevenage & dropped in Yemen 

Yet Newcastle United and Eddie Howe are the problem. Bollocks 

Guest reefatoon
16 minutes ago, christ said:

I’m sure he’ll cope.

That isn’t the point. I am sure he isn’t thrilled with any undue attention when trying to concentrate on an upcoming final.  It’s drawing attention to him via press conferences, putting him in a position he doesn’t deserve to be in. It’s a cheap shot and very crass. 

Edited by reefatoon

Not to mention it’s not only Saudi involved in Yemen, both Abu Dhabi (As past of UAE) and Qatar are also heavily involved too. So why are the media not asking question of Man City’s owners regarding this too? It’s a bit like giving us a free pass for 30 years of counter-insurgency, because it was US led.

Just now, reefatoon said:

That isn’t the point. I am sure he is t thrilled with and undue attention when trying to concentrate on an upcoming final.  It’s drawing attention to him via press conferences, putting him in a position he doesn’t deserve to be in. It’s a cheap shot and very crass. 

That’s all moot. He’s the de facto spokesperson for the Saudi state’s most visible asset. This is a thing that he’s going to have to confront on occasion. He’ll be aware of that. 

We don’t get the luxury of being able to spend that filthy Arabian lucre and not have to think about where it’s come from. Just because it might make us, or the players and staff feel uncomfortable doesn’t mean its in anyway unfair when others dare to do something to draw attention to it.

Guest reefatoon
3 minutes ago, christ said:

That’s all moot. He’s the de facto spokesperson for the Saudi state’s most visible asset. This is a thing that he’s going to have to confront on occasion. He’ll be aware of that. 

We don’t get the luxury of being able to spend that filthy Arabian lucre and not have to think about where it’s come from. Just because it might make us, or the players and staff feel uncomfortable doesn’t mean its in anyway unfair when others dare to do something to draw attention to it.

[emoji38]

We should probably just leave it there as we are never going to agree and it’s boring as fuck doing this merry dance every other week.

You agree with Eddies letter, I don’t. Let’s just leave it there :thup: